Round 18-Jarrett Martin, LHP Bakersville College

From brewerfan.net :

Name: Jarret Martin

Height/Weight: 6-3 / 200

Date of Birth: 8/14/89

School: Centennial (CA)

Martin is a player on the rise, with a very impressive showing last summer at the Area Code Games despite not being universally ranked among the top players in the nation before that point in time. Martin has the entire package: The perfect build, a loose and easy arm action that he repeats well, improving velocity, good control and a good head on his shoulders. His consistent low-90s heater with good dip and dive late in the zone is what gets your attention first, and then he pulls out a hammer curveball in the mid-70s and a relatively polished change, showing the ability to change speeds and command the strike zone. Like so many left-handed pitchers, he also has a pretty swing at the plate that allows him to drive the ball to all parts of the field, but his future clearly lies on the mound.

Yeah, my first take was, "Wow, this is unreal. Same spot and everything!" How often does that happen :laughlol:

I like his potential, and I was hoping that we would be able to sign him last year. Mechanically, he still looks rough, but he's got stuff to work with from the left side, and I really hope we can get him in the system this time around.

So if I remember correctly he was one of the high ceiling HS kids, Im guessing JuCo now.....I remember he was mentioned with Brady and Bundy of last year, does anyone know if he is as good as a Bundy or Brady? And how would you rank Bundy Brady and Martin?

So if I remember correctly he was one of the high ceiling HS kids, Im guessing JuCo now.....I remember he was mentioned with Brady and Bundy of last year, does anyone know if he is as good as a Bundy or Brady? And how would you rank Bundy Brady and Martin?

Yeah, he had a commitment to Cal State Fullerton, but transferred to a JuCo because he wanted to get his career started sooner. He's got a high ceiling, but I'd rank them Bundy, Brady, and then Martin. There's a lot to like about him if they can get him signed. I'm pretty excited about some of the pitchers we've taken. Even though I would have tried to get Henry a few rounds later, I like the upside there, and I'm interested to learn more about Garrett Bush, David Baker, Aaron Wirsch, and Jake Cowan.

I recall as well that Martin was one of the high ceiling kids. I also recall that Martin wanted more money than it took to get Bundy in the fold and that Jordan viewed Bundy as the greater talent and was not willing to go above Bundy's number to reach a deal.

I think there was a wide disparity in what Jordan wanted to offer and what Martin wanted - like $250k v double or triple that.

I recall a relative of Martin (or it might have been Landers) visiting the site and we had an interesting discussion about whether Martin made a good choice in turning down the $.

IMO, if Martin has improved his stock somewhat, it should be some corroboration that Jordan is making good picks.

I think there was a wide disparity in what Jordan wanted to offer and what Martin wanted - like $250k v double or triple that.

I recall a relative of Martin (or it might have been Landers) visiting the site and we had an interesting discussion about whether Martin made a good choice in turning down the $.

IMO, if Martin has improved his stock somewhat, it should be some corroboration that Jordan is making good picks.

IMO I dont think Jordan would have wasted a pick on him this year knowing what he is gonna be asking for if JJ didnt expect to be able to sign him....

Archived