Round 22- Cameron Coffey, LHP Tx Round 23-

I was referring more to your discussions with the FO, and the fact that it seems your line of thinking linez up pretty well with with Jordan and Co. But you know your stuff, too ;)

I am not close with the FO and have only had a handful of 15 minute discussions with JJ over the past two years or so. Joe Jordan has been very professional in these conversations and it would be silly to contemplate him providing a hack like me with anything resembling inside information.

I do follow the draft closely, but this is only from the perspective of an outside analyst who gathers information (significantly more info than most fans, but substantially less than real draft-niks who provide write-ups on the top 100 or 200 players).

There is no intention on my part in any post to suggest a closeness (or repeated access) to the FO or any insider knowledge. I hope I have not misled anyone in this regard.

I am not close with the FO and have only had a handful of 15 minute discussions with JJ over the past two years or so. Joe Jordan has been very professional in these conversations and it would be silly to contemplate him providing a hack like me with anything resembling inside information.

I do follow the draft closely, but this is only from the perspective of an outside analyst who gathers information (significantly more info than most fans, but substantially less than real draft-niks who provide write-ups on the top 100 or 200 players).

There is no intention on my part in any post to suggest a closeness (or repeated access) to the FO or any insider knowledge. I hope I have not misled anyone in this regard.

In that case, I think you defend Baltimore's draft moves WAY too passionately...j/k

Did all that feel good to get off your chest? If you're not an attorney, you should be one. Perhaps working on disclaimer boilerplates. :)

I don't know how you meet on a price? Obviously interested in academics, questions surrounding future health, seems to me he'd be looking for a fair amount of money to turn down Duke, particulalry since he'd be passing up an incredible education that could set him up if baseball falls through due to his injury.

Likewise, would you cough-up Top 100 money to sign a kid that just now blew out his elbow?

Seems like it will be tough to meet a mutually satisfactory $amount.

This is a classic situation of a kid who SHOULD go to college. He might as well rehab while he's getting a first class education. Grant it he will most likely have better medical and rehab supervision during his recovery, but this kid should go to college. If he recovers and throws like he he did or better, he'll be worth a pretty penny in three years anyways.

This is a classic situation of a kid who SHOULD go to college. He might as well rehab while he's getting a first class education. Grant it he will most likely have better medical and rehab supervision during his recovery, but this kid should go to college. If he recovers and throws like he he did or better, he'll be worth a pretty penny in three years anyways.

Agreed. Certainly a reasonable pick at 22:5 -- should be fun to watch, whether he is at Duke or in the BAL organization.

In that case, I think you defend Baltimore's draft moves WAY too passionately...j/k

Did all that feel good to get off your chest? If you're not an attorney, you should be one. Perhaps working on disclaimer boilerplates. :)

I don't think I defended any draft moves (they should not need defending based on Jordan's track record) as much as I attempted to counter unfounded criticisms (to be clear, not everyone has unfounded opinions here). If people want a different player chosen, that's fine with me as long as it is within proper context of the Orioles draft budget and an attempt to understand what Joe Jordan did with the pick. Again, Nolan Reimold was not within the Baseball America Top 200 when he was drafted. I am frustrated that people love having Nolan Reimold on the major league roster, but then criticize similar current picks by Joe Jordan with completely unfounded suggestions that the player would have been available a round later or something of that nature. I am not saying Joe Jordan is above criticism, he most certainly is not, but there should be more respect for his methods on draft day, IMO, instead of the ridiculous venting that goes on here.

I did not enjoy the above or the previous post or having to make disclaimers, but often feel it is necessary to make such disclaimers when improper inferences are made from what I post.

I don't think I defended any draft moves (they should not need defending based on Jordan's track record) as much as I attempted to counter unfounded criticisms (to be clear, not everyone has unfounded opinions here). If people want a different player chosen, that's fine with me as long as it is within proper context of the Orioles draft budget and an attempt to understand what Joe Jordan did with the pick. Again, Nolan Reimold was not within the Baseball America Top 200 when he was drafted. I am frustrated that people love having Nolan Reimold on the major league roster, but then criticize similar current picks by Joe Jordan with completely unfounded suggestions that the player would have been available a round later or something of that nature. I am not saying Joe Jordan is above criticism, he most certainly is not, but there should be more respect for his methods on draft day, IMO, instead of the ridiculous venting that goes on here.

I did not enjoy the above or the previous post or having to make disclaimers, but often feel it is necessary to make such disclaimers when improper inferences are made from what I post.

I think you are maybe taking these things too seriously, or too personally. I'm happy to just stay clear of your posts, if that makes it easier.

Regarding the bolded, I'll stay clear of jokes, as well. I just went back and re-read what I wrote -- I think it's safer to just not interact if those posts are the sort that get you riled up. No hard feelings, I just don't feel like getting in a back-and-forth over absolutely nothing (particularly when I've generally agreed with your posts on the thread and said as much).

Tip o'the hat to you, sir. And g'day.

I think you are maybe taking these things too seriously, or too personally. I'm happy to just stay clear of your posts, if that makes it easier.

You can do what you want. I have avoided your responses in at least two threads this week and see that it was a mistake to engage you again in this one.

You can do what you want. I have avoided your responses in at least two threads this week and see that it was a mistake to engage you again in this one.

I understand. I'm sure it's tough to bite your tongue when you read my wild, rude, unininformed and harshly-phrased posts. As is well known around here, my calling cards are 1) not thinking through anything I post, 2) getting personal and name calling, 3) making wild, uninformed statements, 4) unyieldingly complaining and critiquing Jordan, MachPhail and anyone that doesn't agree with me or do things exactly as I would do it, and 5) claiming to be a know-it-all and claiming to have the right answers to all of the Orioles's missteps.

I assume it's a bear to share message board space with a poster such as myself. Good luck with your writings, etc.

• 1 month later...

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/nb/memorial/sports/6539633.html

Left-handed pitcher Cameron Coffey, who probably would have been selected in Major League Baseball's amateur draft, was lost for the season after his second start.

Left-handed pitcher Cameron Coffey, who probably would have been selected in Major League Baseball's amateur draft, was lost for the season after his second start.

“He had to have Tommy John surgery,“ Mathis said. “It was really bad for us, but the prognosis is great. He is a smart kid. He is going to Duke. He will go to college for two or three years and really mature. His elbow will be stronger. He probably will be throwing 97-98 from the left side instead of 93. I really think he will look back on it three years from now and realize it might have been the best thing that happened to him.“

Well Coffey will not be signing.

Thanks to furryburres for the link

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/nb/memorial/sports/6539633.html

Well Coffey will not be signing.

Thanks to furryburres for the link

Yeah but if you notice the first part is says "probably would've been drafted." Being that he was drafted, their reporting is a little questionable!

I really wouldnt read too deeply into that article. I remember reading in an article that Tim Berry will "never sign". Guess who signed 2 days ago? You never know what someone will do when there is money thrown in their face. Especially when we have afew of our top choices who may not be signing, this makes me feel that we may go even harder after a guy like this....

Coffey has been solid to Duke for awhile, and I don't see that changing now. As much as I hate to say it, it makes more sense for Coffey to go back to school and pump up his draft stock in three years. If I were him, I'd take the chance and go to school with hopes of being picked in the top 3 rounds down the road. And honestly, if baseball doesn't work out for him, his degree from Duke will be worth more than what the O's are probably going to offer him given his circumstances.

Also, the guy who said that Berry wouldn't sign probably wasn't connected to the family or anything, he was probably just making the reasonable assumption that a HS kid who was drafted in the 50th round wouldn't sign. That guy was wrong on Berry, but I'd be very surprised if Coffey wasn't taking classes at Duke in September.

That sucks...All I can do now is hope that this is wrong. If the O's really wanted him they could get him. Just like the rest of the top 10 thats unsigned. This $$ thing is putting some really strict limits on who we sign. But this is negotiating, the O's gotta play it tough til the end so they can save $ in anyway possible. It doesnt mean that we wont sign some the harder to sign guys, IMO once we get to the deadline, the O's are gonna step up for a few of these kids and offer them the $$ they are asking for to signb them....Especially after FO sees how little of all this young talent we have up to that point signed.....I really hope/wish Coffey was one of them....

Archived