2009 Draft Signing Tracker

I agree, Hoosiers.

Really, Givens doesn't stand much to gain by enrolling at OSU or going to a JuCo for a year. His bat is a big question mark, and I think he has a higher chance of having his shortcomings exposed rather than improving past the #54 overall pick. I was a huge fan of givens leading up to the draft, but I'm starting to wear thin on him. He can take a great risk if he wants, and for his sake, I really hope it doesn't blow up in his face. Jordan said that "he'll get over it," and I think we'll get over Givens in a few weeks too.

Now that Harris is out, I hope we use his money to sign Ohlman and Bush. And with Givens playing chicken, I'd go ahead and use his money to ensure that Henry, Tolliver, Bush, and Ohlman get signed. If Givens is out, I really hope we can also find a way to lock down a couple of Kyle Hoppy, Tyler Naquin, and Matt Nadolski.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bal-sp.osnotes05aug05,0,7866891.story

Connolly reports that Givens is still in limbo and that Harris won't sign. Berry is close to signing and there is progress being made in signing Tolliver and Henry.

Orioles director of amateur scouting Joe Jordan said he has made no progress in negotiations with second-round draft pick Mychal Givens (Tampa, Fla.) despite a face-to-face meeting this week with the high school shortstop's agent.

"There's just been no ground made up," said Jordan, who met with Givens' agent, Ken Felder, in Orlando. "It's disappointing to me how this has played out. We did our due diligence and the rules change after the draft. We're going to do what we can."

In other news, the Orioles have agreed to terms with left-hander Jarrett Martin (18th round) and outfielder Brenden Webb (30th round). Right-handed pitcher Ryan Berry (ninth round) is due in Baltimore next week to take a physical and finalize a deal and the club is making progress toward signing pitchers Randy Henry (fourth round) and Ashur Tolliver (fifth round), Jordan said.

Outfielder Devin Harris, an eighth-round pick out of East Carolina University, has informed the club that he'll remain in school and won't sign. The Orioles have until Aug. 17 to sign their draft picks or lose their rights.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bal-sp.osnotes05aug05,0,7866891.story

Connolly reports that Givens is still in limbo and that Harris won't sign. Berry is close to signing and there is progress being made in signing Tolliver and Henry.

Getting Berry, Henry and Tolliver signed would be huge imo and further improve our farm system.

Givens would be great but with us getting the 6th 2nd round pick next year it would not hurt that much.

Berry and Henry are both in Baltimore as we speak. Physicals early today then off to Camden for the game tonight.

SWEEEET! Thats what I wanna hear right there!

and yes, the kids mentioned as probables to sign are gonna help the farm system quite a bit. Im guessing Berry will go to Delmarva and Henry to Aberdeen.

Givens not signing wont be a bad thing. Let him walk, I dont mind taking the comp picks next year. He is no where near safe and has a good chance of becoming Pedro Florimon. Id honestly rather give him a try as a pitcher if we signed him, I dont believe in his bat. He would need a ton of coaching and development to get his bat to being ML average. And judging by his work ethic this summer, he might not have that particular intangible necessary to help become a good hitter at the ML level.

So next up lets sign Tolliver, hope we get Garret Bush and Coffey.

SWEEEET!

Givens not signing wont be a bad thing. Let him walk, I dont mind taking the comp picks next year. He is no where near safe and has a good chance of becoming Pedro Florimon. .

My sentiments exactly! :)

We now have 13, excluding Berry, of our top 20 picks signed and in the system. I'm with you on the Givens signing--let's put the money elsewhere and take the comp pick. Henry, Berry, Wirsch, Hobgood, Martin, Landry, Dowdy, and Cowan, make for a great batch of young, talented pitchers to have.

My sentiments exactly! :)

We now have 13, excluding Berry, of our top 20 picks signed and in the system. I'm with you on the Givens signing--let's put the money elsewhere and take the comp pick. Henry, Berry, Wirsch, Hobgood, Martin, Landry, Dowdy, and Cowan, make for a great batch of young, talented pitchers to have.

Yup, we really took some quality kids this draft. Its no secret that we have changed our drafting strategies of old. All of the arms we drafted this year whom we expect to be starters have atleast 3 pitches. We used to draft kids with a huge fastball and a breakingball and hope that they can come up with a 3rd pitch. Now we seem to be drafting actual "pitchers" in the making, very exciting. I hope we can get a glimpse of Henry, Berry and Tolliver in the MiL this season still at some point, itd be nice to see what we have....

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1793373&postcount=10

This is going to be the least amount that we've spent on the draft since 2005, Jordan's first draft, less than $5 million. There is no excuse for that.

$3,972,700 not knowing Cowan, Bumbry, Kelly, Baker, Palsha, Schutz, Brandhorts, Landry, Mooney, Anderson, Johnson, Mechaw, Planeta, Flacco, Dowdy, Rivera and Berry.

With Givens (unlikely) and hopefully 2 of Ohlman, Bush and Coffey...I think they'll easily surpass the 5 million mark (if they haven't already).

Dalles got $150,000 in this link. All other numbers were from post #1.

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1793373&postcount=10

$3,972,700 not knowing Cowan, Bumbry, Kelly, Baker, Palsha, Schutz, Brandhorts, Landry, Mooney, Anderson, Johnson, Mechaw, Planeta, Flacco, Dowdy, Rivera and Berry.

With Givens (unlikely) and hopefully 2 of Ohlman, Bush and Coffey...I think they'll easily surpass the 5 million mark (if they haven't already).

Dalles got $150,000 in this link. All other numbers were from post #1.

I've accounted $4,345,200 thru the 8 picks signed in the top 10.

Hobgood - $2,420,000

Givens - Hasn't Signed

Townsend - $417,600

Henry - $365,000

Tolliver - $200,000

Dalles - $150,000

Wirsch - $200,000

Harris - Hasn't signed

Berry - $417,600

Cowan - $175,000

I've accounted $4,345,200 thru the 8 picks signed in the top 10.

Hobgood - $2,420,000

Givens - Hasn't Signed

Townsend - $417,600

Henry - $365,000

Tolliver - $200,000

Dalles - $150,000

Wirsch - $200,000

Harris - Hasn't signed

Berry - $417,600

Cowan - $175,000

You're right and there is another $500,000 from Martin and Webb.

The Orioles agreed to sign fifth rounder Ashur Tolliver for $200k, according to Jim Callis of Baseball America. They also agreed to terms with Randy Henry for $365k and Ryan Berry for $418k. All three bonuses are higher than recommended.

Yay! I'm so glad that these are finished.

The date for signing draft picks has now passed. I will attempt to update the list (with signing bonuses if announced). If I miss anything or any signing please let me know so I can update the list.

Overall, I think it's a very successful draft for the Orioles. The way the Givens signing played out was perfect for the Orioles and their fans. I sincerely do not believe some of the late signings (Ohlman and perhaps Coffey) would have occurred if Jordan believed he could sign Givens.

Archived