Who's your 2008 SS

bigbird

I can only think of five teams that might possibly want him: Red Sox, White Sox, Cubs, Angels and Dodgers...

The White Sox are the team to go after....Get them to trade Garland to the Braves or the DBacks....3 way deal may be the best way to get max value for Miggy.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I understand the stiffy you have for defense but I don't understand that you want to put a banjo hitting defender at SS. This isn't 1975.

If you had more offense on the field it wouldn't matter much what you got out of the SS position offensively(see Cleveland Indians circa '94-'98). The game is trending towards pitching and defense(have you noticed). There aren't 15 guys hitting 40 homers this year. There will probably be only 3.

Defense counts more in close games and what is the O's record in 1 run games? What would it be if you included the games that were within 1 run in the 7th too?

Kahlil Greene? Omar Visquel? Alex Gonzalez?

All good, but I have never seen any shortstop play at the level he does....and that may be blasphemy.

He reminds me a lot of how Alomar played in his prime at 2B.

I admit he is not great offensively, and I would love to see a SS who wasn't + offensively have more speed. But he is better than LH offensively. The Pirates would also eat some of his contract just to get rid of him. For 1 or 2 years he is perfectly tenable as a SS, would greatly improve the D, and is decent 8 or 9 hitter.

All good, but I have never seen any shortstop play at the level he does....and that may be blasphemy.

He reminds me a lot of how Alomar played in his prime at 2B.

I admit he is not great offensively, and I would love to see a SS who wasn't + offensively have more speed. But he is better than LH offensively. The Pirates would also eat some of his contract just to get rid of him. For 1 or 2 years he is perfectly tenable as a SS, would greatly improve the D, and is decent 8 or 9 hitter.

The Orioles don't need some 8/9 expensive poor hitter for 1-2 years.

We need long term solutions.

All we ever do is plus holes for 1-2 years with replacement level players and then scratch our heads as to why we are such a pathetic team going no where.

If you had more offense on the field it wouldn't matter much what you got out of the SS position offensively(see Cleveland Indians circa '94-'98). The game is trending towards pitching and defense(have you noticed). There aren't 15 guys hitting 40 homers this year. There will probably be only 3.

Defense counts more in close games and what is the O's record in 1 run games? What would it be if you included the games that were within 1 run in the 7th too?

But we don't have more offense around now do we? So if you're gonna take away Miggy's bat and put Looey out there you better be damn sure we get some run producers.

I'm not saying we need a 40 homer guy, but this team also needs some guys that get on base at a good clip.

This isn't really an issue to me. You grab whatever the trading team will give you for a replacement. The Angels aren't the only team with an Aybar-like piece to give away. Doesn't have to be great, but we just need a young shortstop who's better than Hernandez and Fahey.

The Orioles don't need some 8/9 expensive poor hitter for 1-2 years.

We need long term solutions.

All we ever do is plus holes for 1-2 years with replacement level players and then scratch our heads as to why we are such a pathetic team going no where.

Yes, but if you were to list our needs in order of importance I bet SS, even with Tejada gone, is lower down on that list. I put LF, CF, and 1B above it - As far as improving offense is concerned. Whereas I put, and most would agree by their comments this year, that they put SS at the #1 place needed for defensive improvement. Looking at the team one dimensionally (i.e. offense) will get you no where, and will certainly not get the type of long term solutions you are looking for SG.

Archived