Hobgood Debut Set

CountIsFull

Matzek or Wheeler would have been my pick and the pick of most baseball analysts.

While Matzek is very talented, he wasn't even in the mix for the O's - and several other teams - for reasons that didn't have anything to do with his baseball talent, or the amount of money he's looking for.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I read this morning that he'd probably only pitch an inning, I opted to not drive five hours round trip to see it.

I'll keep my eye out on more opportunities as they arise, and I'll get some pics or something for everyone.

UPDATE ON HOBGOOD'S DEBUT:

From Roch:

Matt Hobgood, the Orioles' first pick in the June amateur draft, allowed one run over one inning in his professional debut with rookie-level Bluefield.

Hobgood, who will be on a progression to build up his innings and his arm, allowed two hits, struck out one, threw a wild pitch and committed an error.

Matzek or Wheeler would have been my pick and the pick of most baseball analysts.
I think it would be a great idea for Andy's folks to shut down their player evaluation shop and simply take the next guy on BA's list. If they're between two names, maybe they can check with you and bb, as we certainly wouldn't want them to keep taking these "signability" picks.

Not a bad debut really, if you look at the game log. Looks like they manufactured a run with a hit, steal, groundout, and sac fly. Then Hobgood got himself into a jam with 2 outs, but recovered by getting the K.

* Yunier Castillo singles on a ground ball to center fielder Michael Planeta.

* With Robert Stock batting, Yunier Castillo steals (2) 2nd base.

* Robert Stock grounds out to first baseman Michael Flacco. Yunier Castillo to 3rd.

* Richard Racobaldo out on a sacrifice fly to right fielder Luis Ramirez. Yunier Castillo scores.

* Matthew Adams reaches on fielding error by pitcher Matthew Hobgood.

* Edgar Lara singles on a ground ball to center fielder Michael Planeta. Matthew Adams to 2nd.

* With Audry Perez batting, wild pitch by Matthew Hobgood, Matthew Adams to 3rd. Edgar Lara to 2nd.

* Audry Perez strikes out swinging.

This is the question who's answer will probably tell a tale. I hope he is mid 90's....

It doesn't matter much, actually, considering he was limited to one inning. How valuable would hitting 97 be, for example, if he only did so because he could max out knowing he'd be gone in the 2nd? Likewise, his uncle said his readings generally notch-up as a game goes on, so how concerned could someone be to see him 89-91?

Finally, there really isn't anything meaningful we'll be able to take from his Bluefield stint. What will really be important/interesting to watch is how he looks next spring after heavy coaching in fall instructionals and completion of an off-season plan. Even then, he's so far away that improvements can still come at various points in his development.

It doesn't matter much, actually, considering he was limited to one inning. How valuable would hitting 97 be, for example, if he only did so because he could max out knowing he'd be gone in the 2nd? Likewise, his uncle said his readings generally notch-up as a game goes on, so how concerned could someone be to see him 89-91?

Finally, there really isn't anything meaningful we'll be able to take from his Bluefield stint. What will really be important/interesting to watch is how he looks next spring after heavy coaching in fall instructionals and completion of an off-season plan. Even then, he's so far away that improvements can still come at various points in his development.

Well, for me, it justifies the pick a bit. One of the reasons they said they drafted him was because his velocity had improved over the course of the season. I suppose trust is in order but I have heard of other pitchers throwing harder.... And then not....

Well, for me, it justifies the pick a bit. One of the reasons they said they drafted him was because his velocity had improved over the course of the season. I suppose trust is in order but I have heard of other pitchers throwing harder.... And then not....

Fair enough. Just keep in mind that (1) he's a young arm that has already thrown a full HS season, and (2) he hasn't seen game action in quite some time.

Fair enough. Just keep in mind that (1) he's a young arm that has already thrown a full HS season, and (2) he hasn't seen game action in quite some time.

Agreed. I won't pass judgement this season at all. That doesn't mean it wouldn't be encouraging to see him SITTING in the low to mid 90's and touching 96-97 at times. I definitely wouldn't want him throwing that hard if he hasn't kept in shape since his season ended. Of course if he didn't stay in throwing shape, knowing he was probably going to pitch this summer, what does that say about him?

Did anyone actually see Hobgood pitch? How did the curve look? What was he hitting on the gun?

I did see him pitch. The gun was showing him at around 88 for most his fastballs. It did hit 90 once. He didn't throw his curve much but what I could see it looked good. The two hits he gave up was ground balls up the middle and the error was actually a very athletic play that he almost made.

other than that it was a really cold night for july and I got all three of my ticket stubs sighned by matt.

I did see him pitch. The gun was showing him at around 88 for most his fastballs. It did hit 90 once. He didn't throw his curve much but what I could see it looked good. The two hits he gave up was ground balls up the middle and the error was actually a very athletic play that he almost made.

other than that it was a really cold night for july and I got all three of my ticket stubs sighned by matt.

Your gun, scouts gun or stadium gun? Just curious. If one of the first two do you know the make of the gun?

Thanks!

Archived