An Interesting Baseball Related Poll

olehippi

"Though MLB has implemented a more strict policy on steroid use prior to the 2005 season, the controversy surrounding the issue has continued into 2009 as new marquis players have admitted to or have been caught using banned substances."

"But the latest Rasmussen national telephone survey of baseball fans find that 56% say news about steroid use has not caused them to follow the game less. A third of fans (33%) say the news has caused them to follow baseball less."

I think most baseball fans got caught up in the excitement of the home run battles during the 1998-2001 seasons. Everyone knew something was haywire, but largely didn’t care. When the scandal finally broke, I think most fans had already become inoculated against the outrage that steroids had skewed the incredible home run stats that were put up by McGwire, Sosa, and Bonds.

What say you?

Here is a link to the full article. http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/lifestyle/sports/july_2009/most_baseball_fans_say_steroid_use_hasn_t_caused_them_to_follow_the_sport_less

I'm a little surprised they would spell marquee as marquis. Are these players royalty?

Seriously, I find the steroid argument for watching baseball less pretty silly as it's usually made by football fans. Yes, football, the sport that awards steroid users with a Defensive Player of the Year Award and an all-expense paid trip to Hawaii.

Shack, marquee is the correct word. It is an adjective as well as a noun.

From Merriam Webster:

Main Entry: (2) marquee

Function:adjective

Date:1946

: having or associated with the name recognition and attraction of one whose name appears on a marquee : big-name, star <marquee athletes> <marquee events>

Archived