LA Angels

Wild Bill

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is my first experience with a WB post that says "stay tuned" about a significant trade. So, I don't know what to think. But let's not worry about that. Here's a couple questions:

1. If the O's trade Gibbons for pitching, and especially if Javy goes along, then exactly who is gonna knock in runs around here? Jay is #4. Another few games of getting hits, plus a dinger or two, and Javy's #6 (if not #5). So if they're gone, then what?

2. If the answer is that the O's are then gonna turn around and get a hitter or two who are as good or better, who are those guys?

3. Whoever those guys are, why don't the Angels just go get them and cut out the middle man?

I'm skeptical that this deal will even go down, but....

This has all the makings of one team getting absolutely fleeced in this deal. My perception is that Gibbons' has a really unique value; he doesn't look particularly pretty when he plays but his production is quite good. He really straddles the line between a highly underestimated contributor and an average player with bloated numbers. I really don't know how to describe Gibbons...he's very Jekyl/Hyde for me (not sure if others feel the same).

Because of this I really don't know what to make of this trade..depending on how much he is coveted by each team he could possibly draw a King's Ransom or a pot of coal.

Very little in between here...

This is my first experience with a WB post that says "stay tuned" about a significant trade. So, I don't know what to think. But let's not worry about that. Here's a couple questions:

1. If the O's trade Gibbons for pitching, and especially if Javy goes along, then exactly who is gonna knock in runs around here? Jay is #4. Another few games of getting hits, plus a dinger or two, and Javy's #6 (if not #5). So if they're gone, then what?

2. If the answer is that the O's are then gonna turn around and get a hitter or two who are as good or better, who are those guys?

3. Whoever those guys are, why don't the Angels just go get them and cut out the middle man?

Why don't we go get Clemens and forget trading anybody??? :D

I'm really hesitent about trading Gibbons. He gives us good production, especially power and protects Tejada in the order. Plus I thought the idea was to make him our 1st baseman after this year? If he goes, does that mean we go with Conine/Millar II? Plus I don't like the idea of signing players to long term deals with the intention of building around them trading them in the first year and opening up another hole.

With that said, the pitching has been ugly and if we can get back a Santana or Lackey, I would probably go ahead and do it. Anybody else, Escobar, Weaver, etc. no way. Penn is coming up before we know it and you got to think either Roddy or Chen will get better than they've been, and all of a sudden our rotation isn't so bad anymore.

If you can get Lackey or Santana, do it, but otherwise, Gibbons is far too important a part of this lineup to just be dealing for a mediocre pitcher. Unless Matos, Markakis, Lopez and Millar start hitting, the lineup would be really ugly.

The angels may want Jay but I doubt if we deal him. I know we feel he has a very friendly contract for a guy who can hit 25 HRs and drive in 100. Our offense is also an issue in the front office. Trading Javy and signing Durazo makes perfect sense. As I said before the Angels will be looking at Javy next week.

By the way...welcome back Wild Bill.

Our offense is also an issue in the front office.

Agreed. Why give up a solid "B" outfielder signed to a decent contract for a pitcher, when that is one of our strengths? The O's need offense just as much (if not more) than the LAA's.

And Welcome back WB as well. I didn't login last night because it was an off day, and I miss the excitement. :002_ssmile:

The angels may want Jay but I doubt if we deal him. I know we feel he has a very friendly contract for a guy who can hit 25 HRs and drive in 100. Our offense is also an issue in the front office. Trading Javy and signing Durazo makes perfect sense. As I said before the Angels will be looking at Javy next week.

I would much rather trade them Javy and pick up Durazo. But bb, didn't you say that the FO has little interest in Durazo. Are you sensing that's changed?

I would much rather trade them Javy and pick up Durazo. But bb, didn't you say that the FO has little interest in Durazo. Are you sensing that's changed?

The "little' interest right now is there's no where for him to play. Add the injured hamstring to the mix also.

ok, I like Jay too, but this is promising. If true, is there a way we can set all things in order, by-

1. Moving Markakis to right;

2. Acquiring a legit top of the rotation pitcher,

3. And packaging enough to add "another" Cabrera to play left?

Who knows, we could be a wildcard contender THIS YEAR if we pull that off.

The "little' interest right now is there's no where for him to play. Add the injured hamstring to the mix also.

If we move Javy, he essentially takes his spot, right? We'd have a 3 man rotation with Durazo, Conine and Millar for 1st/DH.

I like Jay Gibbons but lets face it. He has a career .315 OBP with over 2100 AB's. I think the odds of him improving on that are not good. He's got some pop to is bat - but I think his production is easier to replace. Besides, you have to give up something to get something. I say do the deal.

Archived