A Very Early Look at the Top 2010 Draft Prospects

These are merely excerpts from DraftAmerica.com...

The number in parentheses is the age of the player as of Draft Day 2010...

#1 Bryce Harper...

Catcher, College of Southern Nevada

Born Oct. 16, 1992, (17.6)

Ht/Wt... 6-3/210, Bats Left / Throws Right

Harper may be among the best baseball prospects ever. This is not hyperbole... it is consensus scouting. Considered by some a once-in-a-generation talent, the 16-year old Harper seems to be a scout's living dream. Harper has every tool, he hits for both average and power -prodigious power at that- he has a great arm, is a good defender behind the plate and is fast on the bases...

#2 Jameson Taillon...

Right-handed Pitcher, The Woodland (HS) in Texas

Born November 18, 1991 (18.6)

Ht/Wt... 6-7/235, Bats Right / Throws Right

Taillon (technically pronounced "TAY-own", but Americanized to "Tallen") has vaulted to the top of the prep hurlers list, after exciting scouts with his performances during his junior year, and throughout the summer, culminating in August at the Aflac All-American game in San Diego. He has already drawn comparisons to such pitchers as Stephen Strasburg, for his exceptional skill-set. Standing 6 feet 7 inches and weighing in at 235 pounds, as an 17-year old, is quite impressive... but it's the demeanor in which he carries himself, and the dynamite fastball that touches 96, and superior curve that has scouts looking at a potentially dominant starting pitching prospect...

#3 Anthony Ranaudo...

Pitcher, Louisiana State

Born Sept. 9, 1989 (20.7)

Ranaudo has come on like gang-busters after passing up signing with the Rangers after the ’07 Draft (11th round), and the LSU Tigers are thankful that he did, as he led them to their sixth national championship. The New Jersey native finished with a stellar 3.04 ERA, tossing 124.1 innings, striking-out 159, walking 50, and holding opponents to a .209 batting average. Ranaudo has solid command of his pitches -a 90-93 fastball, curve and change- and exudes confidence and poise for a very young man...

#4 A.J. Cole...

Pitcher, High School (FL),

Born Jan. 5, 1992 (18.4)

Ht/Wt... 6-5/190, Bats Right / Throws Right

Cole is quite the pitching prospect, and may yet challenge for the designation as the top hurler from the 2010 class.

Using his athletic frame, Cole throws 90-93 with good movement, occasionally touching the mid-90’s. He has a decent curve and change, but it’s the development of these off-speed pitches that will go a long way toward determining Cole’s draft position. He could be a top ten pick, based on his physical projection, and as with every other prospect, his spring effort will solidify the scouts view on his potential. If Cole can harness his talents, puts it all together, he could draw comparisons to Rick Porcello….

#5 Deck McGuire...

Pitcher, Georgia Tech

Born June 23, 1989 (20.96)

Ht/Wt... 6-6/220, Bats Right / Throws Right

McGuire is an impressive young pitcher, winning the 2009 ACC Pitcher of the Year as a sophomore for Georgia Tech. In just his first year as a weekend starter, he went 11-2 with a 3.50 ERA in 16 starts, striking out 118 while walking 41 in 100.1 innings, not losing a game in the regular season. The Richmond native is armed with an array of pitches, including a low to mid-90s fastball plus three solid off-speed pitches in his slider, changeup, and curveball...

#6 Bryce Brentz...

Outfielder, Middle Tennessee State

Born Dec. 30, 1988 (21.4)

Ht/Wt... 6-0/195, Bats Right / Throws Right

Brentz is simply the class of the four-year collegiate hitting ranks. The star of the Team USA squad is just a smooth and strong hitter, good defender in the outfield with a big arm to boot. Brentz makes consistently good contact, and his Team USA showing proved that his destruction of the Sun Belt Conference was the real deal. Check out his sophomore campaign... he hit .465 with a .535 OBP, .930 SLG% and 1.465 OPS, while tallying 28 homers, 73 RBI, walking 32 times and striking out only 33... all in 230 at-bats...

These are merely excerpts from DraftAmerica.com...

The number in parentheses is the age of the player as of Draft Day 2010...

#1 Bryce Harper...

Catcher, College of Southern Nevada

Born Oct. 16, 1992, (17.6)

Ht/Wt... 6-3/210, Bats Left / Throws Right

Harper may be among the best baseball prospects ever. This is not hyperbole... it is consensus scouting. Considered by some a once-in-a-generation talent, the 16-year old Harper seems to be a scout's living dream. Harper has every tool, he hits for both average and power -prodigious power at that- he has a great arm, is a good defender behind the plate and is fast on the bases...

#2 Jameson Taillon...

Right-handed Pitcher, The Woodland (HS) in Texas

Born November 18, 1991 (18.6)

Taillon (technically pronounced "TAY-own", but Americanized to "Tallen") has vaulted to the top of the prep hurlers list, after exciting scouts with his performances during his junior year, and throughout the summer, culminating in August at the Aflac All-American game in San Diego. He has already drawn comparisons to such pitchers as Stephen Strasburg, for his exceptional skill-set. Standing 6 feet 7 inches and weighing in at 235 pounds, as an 17-year old, is quite impressive... but it's the demeanor in which he carries himself, and the dynamite fastball that touches 96, and superior curve that has scouts looking at a potentially dominant starting pitching prospect...

#3 Anthony Ranaudo...

Pitcher, Louisiana State

Born Sept. 9, 1989 (20.7)

Ranaudo has come on like gang-busters after passing up signing with the Rangers after the ’07 Draft (11th round), and the LSU Tigers are thankful that he did, as he led them to their sixth national championship. The New Jersey native finished with a stellar 3.04 ERA, tossing 124.1 innings, striking-out 159, walking 50, and holding opponents to a .209 batting average. Ranaudo has solid command of his pitches -a 90-93 fastball, curve and change- and exudes confidence and poise for a very young man...

#4 A.J. Cole...

Pitcher, High School (FL),

Born Jan. 5, 1992 (18.4)

Ht/Wt... 6-5/190, Bats Right / Throws Right

Cole is quite the pitching prospect, and may yet challenge for the designation as the top hurler from the 2010 class.

Using his athletic frame, Cole throws 90-93 with good movement, occasionally touching the mid-90’s. He has a decent curve and change, but it’s the development of these off-speed pitches that will go a long way toward determining Cole’s draft position. He could be a top ten pick, based on his physical projection, and as with every other prospect, his spring effort will solidify the scouts view on his potential. If Cole can harness his talents, puts it all together, he could draw comparisons to Rick Porcello….

#5 Deck McGuire...

Pitcher, Georgia Tech

Born June 23, 1989 (20.96)

Ht/Wt... 6-6/220, Bats Right / Throws Right

McGuire is an impressive young pitcher, winning the 2009 ACC Pitcher of the Year as a sophomore for Georgia Tech. In just his first year as a weekend starter, he went 11-2 with a 3.50 ERA in 16 starts, striking out 118 while walking 41 in 100.1 innings, not losing a game in the regular season. The Richmond native is armed with an array of pitches, including a low to mid-90s fastball plus three solid off-speed pitches in his slider, changeup, and curveball...

#6 Bryce Brentz...

Outfielder, Middle Tennessee State

Born Dec. 30, 1988 (21.4)

Ht/Wt... 6-0/195, Bats Right / Throws Right

Brentz is simply the class of the four-year collegiate hitting ranks. The star of the Team USA squad is just a smooth and strong hitter, good defender in the outfield with a big arm to boot. Brentz makes consistently good contact, and his Team USA showing proved that his destruction of the Sun Belt Conference was the real deal. Check out his sophomore campaign... he hit .465 with a .535 OBP, .930 SLG% and 1.465 OPS, while tallying 28 homers, 73 RBI, walking 32 times and striking out only 33... all in 230 at-bats...

Nice writeups, It will be interesting to see which way JJ wants to go this draft. Ive been a huge Taillon guy, but I certainly wouldnt be upset with McGuire......

Nice writeups, It will be interesting to see which way JJ wants to go this draft. Ive been a huge Taillon guy, but I certainly wouldnt be upset with McGuire......

Thanks. There will be a qualified #3 overall talent available when we pick... and hopefully we take him. Best Available Player.

I might sway from this general rule only if a player rated below the #3 guy -by the slimmest of margins- is at a position of need. At this very moment, I'd be quite happy with any of the top three on my board.

Thanks. There will be a qualified #3 overall talent available when we pick... and hopefully we take him. Best Available Player.

I might sway from this general rule only if a player rated below the #3 guy -by the slimmest of margins- is at a position of need. At this very moment, I'd be quite happy with any of the top three on my board.

I completely agree with you, your right, at our pick there will definitely be a qualified #3, we just gotta hope we take them. Like you said, if theres someone around at a position of need when we pick and they are basically equivalent talent I wouldnt mind going that way either, the problem is that there isnt much thats gonna be available to us at a position of need that we couldnt get at say pick 5 or 6 or even later. Id personally not be happy with Colon. Id probably be more happy with a Castellanos or Bryant, but neither of those guys IMO would do for the system what Taillon Ranaudo Cole or McGuire could IMO. We really need another elite pitcher in our system, which at this point IMO we lack, atleast until guys from the 09 draft have a chance to break out next year.

Stat wise Brentz looks like a monster, and it's hard to believe he's ranked 6th behind all those pitchers. How does he compare to where Dustin Ackley was a year ago?

Brentz plays in an extreme hitters park. His approach is behind Ackley's, but he crushes him in the power and arm department. Ackley is a better defender. Ackley has a better hit tool.

Hit-------Ackley >> Brentz

Power----Ackley << Brentz

Arm------Ackley << Brentz

Defense--Ackley > Brentz

Speed----Ackley > Brentz

Deck Maguire...I don't get him. He's got the size and....velo. I don't buy his control coming around, or his secondary stuff. What am I missing here Stotle?

I see big body with some room in his frame. Good downward plane on an already heavy fastball. Breaking ball is inconsistent, but he gets good spin and when he's able to hit his release point it can be plus. Some feel for the change already. 3.6 BB/9 last year isn't great, but it also isn't catastrophic -- helps when you're getting almost 3 SO/BB.

I can't speak specifically to Greg's list, but I also have McGuire at #5. Anticipating improvement and like the base he's building off of.

I guess we can all agree that with the #3 pick we should be able to get a very very good prospect. I think it was important that we got the #3 pick as a few month ago it looked like we would end up with #4, 5 or 6.

There is also always the possibility that one of the two best players drops a la Weiters.

I guess we can all agree that with the #3 pick we should be able to get a very very good prospect. I think it was important that we got the #3 pick as a few month ago it looked like we would end up with #4, 5 or 6.

There is also always the possibility that one of the two best players drops a la Weiters.

Yes, we have pretty much guaranteed that we will be having the opportunity to grab a pretty special prospect. There is a very good chance that one of the 2 best prospects drop to us, Im pretty confident that we will be able to get the top HS arm, but we will see.....

Hopefully this isnt anothoer Loewen....

I was wondering, with the comp to Porcello for Cole, what made Porcello such a special arm? I just read a recent report on Porcello and his biggest asset, aside from being a GB pitcher is the command of his fastball, he has exellent command and can get into the mid 90's with the pitch. Aside from that though, I think 1 secondary pitch was rated average, and all of his other secondaries were rated below average. Now, I know when your coming out of HS, its not expected that you have 3 or 4 plus pitches already, but it sounds as though he just has a plus fastball with plus command. Very good yes, but what makes him so elite compared to guys like Matzek? Or Even Hobgood?

When looking at guys like Taillon who right now has a plus fastball and plus Curveball and atleast average slider and changeup, I dont see Porcello as the superior talent. Is it because he has such good command of the fastball and that separates him from other HS kids? If I didnt know about Porcello's success as a 20 Y/O in MLB, and he was in the 2010 draft, Id probably take both Cole and Taillon over him.

I just wanna know what makes him stand out so greatly?

W/O answering my own question, Ill say I am sure his secondaries project to be average or better, but the idea of having 2 plus pitches right now rather than just 1 makes a big diff to me.....

A player that could sky-rocket up the boards, pending this coming campaign, is Brito HS (FL) shortstop Manny Machado. Baseball America has him rated as the 4th best HS player in the class, although most other sources don't see him that high. He'll be recognized somewhere in my Top 25, due out soon.

There are players, every year, that rise way up the boards... so it wouldn't surprise me at all to see a few of them pushing the top of the board. Again, it is very, very early to venture a guess with any certainty.

A player that could sky-rocket up the boards, pending this coming campaign, is Brito HS (FL) shortstop Manny Machado. Baseball America has him rated as the 4th best HS player in the class, although most other sources don't see him that high. He'll be recognized somewhere in my Top 25, due out soon.

There are players, every year, that rise way up the boards... so it wouldn't surprise me at all to see a few of them pushing the top of the board. Again, it is very, very early to venture a guess with any certainty.

At this point last year, Cameron Coffey was barely on the prospect radar. Once the HS games got going, after a few shcrimmages and I think 1 or 2 games, he flew up the charts because he went from throwing mid 80's to topping out in the mid 90's. It just goes to show you how anything can happen at this point. Shoot, if he hadnt gotten hurt, he could have found himself in the middle or even upper half of the 1st round. No one expected Hobgood to make it to the top of the 1st round....

I cant wait to see who explodes this year and shoots up charts.

Maybe not but some seem to think he came out of nowhere. He was rated the 22nd best HS prospect in the country by Baseball America, heading into the 2009 season.

I had him going in the 10-13 range last year, while I would have gone a different direction, #5 wasn't really that much of a shock for me.

Archived