Learn something new every day...

scOtt

In the Twins game just now... bases loaded, bounced third strike, Mauer just steps on the plate for the PO. Doesn't have to tag the runner or throw to first. I didn't know that...

Nor did I. Makes sense though, I guess we just never thought about it.

In the Twins game just now... bases loaded, bounced third strike, Mauer just steps on the plate for the PO. Doesn't have to tag the runner or throw to first. I didn't know that...

Normally the dropped-third-strike rule isn't in effect with first base occupied, except with two outs. I assume in that situation it would be just like a bunt; they could get whatever other runner would be forced by the ball being in play. Sounds like a nice heads-up play by Mauer to understand that and not risk the throw.

Only happens with 2 out. If 1B is occupied with less than 2 out, then a dropped 3rd strike doesn't matter, the batter's out anyway.

Normally the dropped-third-strike rule isn't in effect with first base occupied, except with two outs. I assume in that situation it would be just like a bunt; they could get whatever other runner would be forced by the ball being in play.

Right. When a dropped 3rd strike does matter, it instantly turns the batter into a runner. Once he's a runner, then force plays can happen just like if he hit it.

Archived