O's Interested In John McDonald

wildcard

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If there is serious interest in him, it could mean Andy has some ideas about moving Wiggington. Just a thought.

Looking at his season he played 2B, SS, 3B, and LF. Don't see any probelm with him on the bench if thats what they want.

Honestly, I hate when people imply that about Izturis...It makes me livid...shortstop is by far the most important infielder as far as fielding is concerned...and we have a former gold glover with pretty good range handling it for us. To cut him down left and right because he doesn't hit like Jeter is absurd. Jeter is an anomaly, Cal was an anomaly, Hanley is an anomaly...beyond that, there aren't too many power hitting shortstops left. Yes, Izturis is on the lower end of that power, but his fielding is on the upper end so that's all that matters.

In terms of McDonald, he is a better third base fielding option on off days than Wigginton. That's all. It's not like they would start him.

Yeah, he would be a great improvement over Andino. BTW, his name is David Newhan.

Sigh.

I like Jason Newhan better because its kind of like that bad player you forget... I mean, they were so bad that you would forge their name. better imo!

Honestly, I hate when people imply that about Izturis...It makes me livid...shortstop is by far the most important infielder as far as fielding is concerned...and we have a former gold glover with pretty good range handling it for us. To cut him down left and right because he doesn't hit like Jeter is absurd. Jeter is an anomaly, Cal was an anomaly, Hanley is an anomaly...beyond that, there aren't too many power hitting shortstops left. Yes, Izturis is on the lower end of that power, but his fielding is on the upper end so that's all that matters.

In terms of McDonald, he is a better third base fielding option on off days than Wigginton. That's all. It's not like they would start him.

You are not alone on this. Solid defense is nothing to shake a finger at, even if it is all a player can offer.

I am not opposed to the idea of bringing in another player who can give above-average defense at three primary positions. If we are solid up the middle and adequate on the corners (just defensively speaking), the offense will be accumulated elsewhere, and I think in a big way with the increased production from our Rooks. This would not be a step back in my mind.

If the O's want to compete in the AL East it is very likely that they will need to find players that can field and hit at all positions. And forget about power, how about just a decent OBP. Players that are not rally killers.

The Belanger comparison only works if other parts of the team have the power to compensate for the poor offense of a Belanger-like player. At this point the O's are far from having that kind of an offense.

Izturis is big improvement over what the O's had in 2008 but there is a huge question as to whether he can be part of an O's team in the AL East that can make the playoffs.

Archived