O's Interested In John McDonald

wildcard

There shouldn't have even been speculation about McDonald. His name and the Orioles should never have been connected as he does nothing for us and is not an improvement in any way.

That's the point.

Whether that's the FO's fault or the writer, that connection simply shouldn't exist.

Talking in absolutes is stupid. McDonald would be an upgrade over Andino in the offensive department, maybe break-even in the defensive department. Thus, we call that an improvement.

You say he isnt an improvement because you think the Orioles can do better, which isn't bad thinking. I would hope the Orioles could improve even on McDonald, whom is an improvement over Andino.

But pointed out in this discussion, you immediately went to blaming the FO for something that a writer took 6 seconds to tweet about. If you think back, when has the FO really come out and said who they were interested in?

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What does it matter? How could it possibly matter if some third party "connects" us to a possible, low-cost FA?

To even suggest we are "interested" says that we wasted time and resources in scouting a player that we should have no business pursuing IMO.

Instead of scouting players like McDonald, why don't we use those same resources in order to take a look at some guys in Japan or the Dominican?

I'm not saying we are interested in McDonald, but there are better ways to use those resources that would be used to look at a guy like him IMO.

To even suggest we are "interested" says that we wasted time and resources in scouting a player that we should have no business pursuing IMO.

Instead of scouting players like McDonald, why don't we use those same resources in order to take a look at some guys in Japan or the Dominican?

I'm not saying we are interested in McDonald, but there are better ways to use those resources that would be used to look at a guy like him IMO.

Well let me put it this way. I hope there wasn't any extra effort put in to scout him if we are in fact interested.

I agree with your second post, but within your first, you are assuming that because one writer tweets we are interested, we suddenly poured all of these resources into scouting a player we really shouldn't be bothered with. You then try and connect it to something semi-related, with international scouting.

This is all a major overreaction to one guys tweet that has no credibility. Had I read this on MLBTR before the OH, I would have ignored it as simply a rumor with no information behind it.

Have you ever actually spent time reading the site, or is your conclusion based on the name of the site?

Sometimes I follow a link to see what the site really says, which sometimes is not exactly what posters say it says.

But I'm mainly going by all the stuff from there that gets posted here, as if it's a fact, and then turns out to be nothing.

I have nothing against the site. I think it's fine to post rumors and stories and stuff they hear from whomever. My only point was that it appears that the rumors posted there are routinely treated as facts when they're not facts, they're rumors. So, for example, they'll post some rumor from God-knows-where that says AM is trying to do X and, next thing you know, people are criticizing AM for it, when in reality we don't know if AM was even thinking about it, much less trying to do it.

I agree with your second post, but within your first, you are assuming that because one writer tweets we are interested, we suddenly poured all of these resources into scouting a player we really shouldn't be bothered with. You then try and connect it to something semi-related, with international scouting.

This is all a major overreaction to one guys tweet that has no credibility. Had I read this on MLBTR before the OH, I would have ignored it as simply a rumor with no information behind it.

Yeah, I overreacted a bit with the first post, but the second is my point.

I just hate seeing us even associated with guys like McDonald.

We can do so much better and should aim for that instead of the McDonalds.

Well let me put it this way. I hope there wasn't any extra effort put in to scout him if we are in fact interested.

I wonder if Dodger fans felt the same about Casey Blake or the Red Sox fans felt about David Ortiz. How about the Rays fans for Carlos Pena. I know this isn't a major move, but 19 games against one opponent is a lot of time to evaluate a guy. He may be the fifth backup infielder type on their list, who knows?

Yeah, I overreacted a bit with the first post, but the second is my point.

I just hate seeing us even associated with guys like McDonald.

We can do so much better and should aim for that instead of the McDonalds.

I agree that we should shoot higher, but we are likely talking about a backup infielder on a bad team (They will not be good in 2010 without a couple big additions). I think we should brace for a relatively quiet offseason and focus on the competition and development of our young guys. I have to say that if this team adds no big name this year, they had better sign a couple next year. For me the 2011 offseason is going to be the big one. If they show me love, I will return it. If not, then baseball in Baltimore will start to slip further from my mind. 15 consecutive years below .500 is very hard to get excited about even if you have some young guys.

I think most of us can agree that AM was a dope to waste the resources looking at MacDonald, even though we don't know if he did that or not. If somebody else thinks AM was thinking about MacDonald, that shows that our GM was not using his resources properly. Who could argue with that? But here's something AM does that bugs me even more: When he tells his manager to let all the players we have get away with their plot to not play hard, just to keep AM from having to spread rumors about signing big-time FA's. How lazy can he be? If he'd arrange some rumor-facts about how he's getting ready to blow $100M on somebody we don't need, then the good-for-nothing bozo's we already have would quit their lollygagging and baserunning mistakes. Any fool can see that. So, why doesn't he buckle down and spread some FA rumors? After all, it has been 12 years, how much longer is he gonna wait? Or do the rumors have to come from somebody else to change the direction of the franchise?

Archived