Warehouse Excuses - Nothing Ever Changes!

Old#5fan

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I thought the Mets weren't interested?

No way in hell Atkins is #4 OD hitter.

The Mets are going to be there just like the O's.

....Mets still plan to check out Carlos Delgado when the first baseman begins play in Puerto Rico's winter league.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/mets/2009/12/31/2009-12-31_casey_no_ebay.html#ixzz0bOWr2yNG

As for Atkins, DT is the same guy that put Millar in the #4 spot.

Atkins is the #4 bat if we don't get anybody else. Book it.

The Orioles can offer him the chance to DH, something he apparently is embracing.

The Mets offer him a chance to win, though.

With Beltran, Reyes and Santana healthy, the Mets have a better shot that the Orioles do at reaching the playoffs.

I don't see how you can say that, unless Atkins hits very well in spring training. Everyone, including Dave Trembley, knows that Atkins was mediocre in 2008 and terrible last year, and is basically a reclamation project. You don't put reclamation projects in the no. 4 spot, at least not until they show they are back on track.

The Mets offer him a chance to win, though.

With Beltran, Reyes and Santana healthy, the Mets have a better shot that the Orioles do at reaching the playoffs.

Its not like he is signing his last contract...He is going to sign a 1 year, incentive laden deal to try and get one last good contract...He may feel he can best achieve that DH'ing some.

Think they'll beat out the Mets?

Yep. What I expect Delgado to show is that he can hit but his lateral movement in the field will be poor to bad. The Mets will then see him as a pinch hitter and offer him a contract as such.

The O's will see him starting the year as a DH and working with him to get his defense to progress to average to below average. He will probably play 25-30 games at 1b. However the O's will be able to offer him a contract based on 400-450 at bats, which will far excess what the Mets can offer.

T

As for Atkins, DT is the same guy that put Millar in the #4 spot.

Uhhh...pump your brakes there, big guy. That was a lineup without a Reimold, a Wieters and a really raw Adam Jones.

I know you hate you some DT but I sincerely doubt that Atkins is hitting that high.

Hell, Millar had more pop in 2008 than Atkins did last year. .717 OPS vs. .650. I know neither are anything to brag about but if I need to fill a lineup hole with a little power tomorrow and my choice is between 2008 Millar and 2009 Atkins, give me 2008 Millar every time.

Yes, but the Red Sox' ticket demand is far, far higher than 3.048M, so they can charge something like $60 a head. Even if the O's draw 3.6M fans they'll have to charge $50 a head to match the Sox' ticket revenues. That's nearly double what they charge today.

I think a reasonable expectation would be for a successful Orioles team to have ticket revenues about 60% of the Sox' (the equivalent of 3M fans at $35 each).

TEAM REVENUES--COST--EARNINGS--gate receipts

ORIOLES--174-----147------27----------47

RED SOX--269-----243------26---------176

Yes the Red Sox revenues are higher but you have to consider the cost side. Our costs are much lower.

Two things;

1) Say both Weiters and Reimold develop into #4 types. Would it be a bad thing to have Holliday in there with them? I don't think having only one #4 type is enough to be competitive in our division.

2) I gotta think Crowly has an ace up his sleeve when it comes to Atkins. AM was just too aggressive in going after him. He didn't wait for the market to set itself, he didn't wait for "percolation" to occur. He went right after him with what seems to be a very aggressive offer. It seems out of character for AM to be so anxious to sign this guy so one must ask why he wanted him so badly. I would have thought Glaus would have been a better option and yet he went for less than half the price.

Atkins could be a number four guy. But I think it is far more likely that Riemold or Wieters ends up there very quickly.

Sure he could. Heck, Michael Aubrey or Ty Wigginton could also bat fourth most likely they, just like Atkins would be lousy cleanup hitters don't ya THINK?:eek::rolleyes::confused:

Archived