Who were the best Oriole clutch hitters?

Frobby

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I knew that without looking at stats. The problem here is there are so few of us posting who even remember watching Frank. The majority of posters here are mere babies when it comes to being Oriole fans (sadly).

I remember Frank and the list starts there. Frank just won games. For those who want to see the will to win, go back to game 6 in the 71 World Series and see the mad dash that forced game 7. Eddie was tremendous late in the game also.

Brooks and Singleton were very good also. This is a list that changes with the age of the posters though. There are many correct answers.

I knew that without looking at stats. The problem here is there are so few of us posting who even remember watching Frank. The majority of posters here are mere babies when it comes to being Oriole fans (sadly).

Yeah, its always sad when a whole new generation of Orioles fans are born.

In the time you've been an Oriole fan, who were the players who you were very confident of in clutch situations, or who seemed to you like they elevated their games in clutch situations?

These are two very different questions.

Question #1: Frank

Question #2: Eddie

I am writing from my blackberry so I can't look stuff up right now. But I don't think Frank's clutch numbers were better than his overall numbers. He was just a great hitter in all situations. Eddie was not as good an overall hitter but he was noticeably much better in clutch situations than he was overall.

This is a very long time ago and I can't supply verification, but I remember clearly a front page story in the Sporting News which reported that a poll of American League pitchers reported that Eddie was the batter they most feared with men on base.

True, but Frank's clutch OPS were all in the .900 range where Eddie's were in the upper .800 range. Also the more the game got close and late, the better Frank got. Not so with Eddie. Eddie may have hit better in clutch situations than he did normally, but he wasn't a better clutch hitter IMO. If I had to choose between Eddie and Frank in the clutch, I'd choose Frank, and I certainly wouldn't regard him as a distant second to Eddie

You might as well choose between Ruth and Gehrig.

Archived