Surprised? Roch say it's Hernandez and Tatum

ConnO'sFan

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Schmuck seems to think Moeller will refuse his minor league assignment and become a FA.

Good luck to Moeller then. Most of the positives you can say about the guy will have value to the Orioles and the Orioles only. He's a backup that can't hit (not many backups can) AND he's a bad defender. But hey, he works with the young pitchers and has a good relationship with them.

I'm amazed at everyone's ability to go off the deep end about a backup catcher. Sure, maybe there is a right or wrong answer, but it's a BACK UP CATCHER. Step back from the ledge a bit, damn. It's going to be a long year.

Sorry, everyone?

I'm amazed at several posters ability to go off the deep end about a backup catcher. Sure, maybe there is a right or wrong answer, but it's a BACK UP CATCHER. Step back from the ledge a bit, damn. It's going to be a long year.

Fixed that for you. Blanket statements and generalizations suck on a message board.

I'm amazed at everyone's ability to go off the deep end about a backup catcher. Sure, maybe there is a right or wrong answer, but it's a BACK UP CATCHER. Step back from the ledge a bit, damn. It's going to be a long year.

Obviously you don't see the importance of the backup catcher on this team, because it is more important that most.

We have young pitchers that are going to need a good backstop to call their games and give them confidence and we are also going to need somebody decent enough to play and not be a liablity both offensively and defensively when Wieters needs a break.

The stronger the backup catcher is, the less you have to have Wieters behind the plate, and the more you can keep him fresh.

Tatum pretty much indicates Trembley is going to ride Wieters into the ground and/or have a giant black hole in the bottom of lineup when he is out.

And those pitchers won't be able to rely on Tatum's ML experience in crucial situations on how to pitch to a batter because he doesn't have any more than they do.

So I hope you see the importance of that role to this team. It's not just a "meh" type decision here to go with Tatum. It's huge.

Good luck to Moeller then. Most of the positives you can say about the guy will have value to the Orioles and the Orioles only. He's a backup that can't hit (not many backups can) AND he's a bad defender. But hey, he works with the young pitchers and has a good relationship with them.

You say he can't hit, but he had a .751 OPS for us last year and had an .883 OPS vs. RHP.

Obviously you don't see the importance of the backup catcher on this team, because it is more important that most.

We have young pitchers that are going to need a good backstop to call their games and give them confidence and we are also going to need somebody decent enough to play and not be a liablity both offensively and defensively when Wieters needs a break.

The stronger the backup catcher is, the less you have to have Wieters behind the plate, and the more you can keep him fresh.

Tatum pretty much indicates Trembley is going to ride Wieters into the ground and/or have a giant black hole in the bottom of lineup when he is out.

And those pitchers won't be able to rely on Tatum's ML experience in crucial situations on how to pitch to a batter because he doesn't have any more than they do.

So I hope you see the importance of that role to this team. It's not just a "meh" type decision here to go with Tatum. It's huge.

Your obsession with pitching and defense is what's ruining this team! We need offensive firepower, dude! This is the AL East, not the NL Central!

Your obsession with pitching and defense is what's ruining this team! We need offensive firepower, dude! This is the AL East, not the NL Central!

Well that's why I'm advocating for Moeller, as he's shown he can hit pretty decently for being a backup catcher.

Chris Hoiles couldn't throw runners out either.

Throwing out runners is not the most important part of being a catcher. Working with the pitcher to keep runners off the basepaths is.

Archived