Jim Delany says tournament expansion is "probable"

PrivateO

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/tournament/2010/news/story?id=5043254

An expanded 96-team NCAA men's basketball tournament starting in 2011, the subject of much debate during the current incarnation of March Madness, is considered "probable" by Big Ten conference commissioner Jim Delany.

Delany, speaking to USA Today for a story published Wednesday, used "probable" when asked how he expects discussions about expansion to play out. The newspaper said Delany considers moving from the current 65-team field to 96 likely.

Delany is a high-profile voice in intercollegiate athletics, though he is not currently involved in the NCAA decision-making process. He is a former chairman of the NCAA men's basketball committee.

He also has voiced concerns in the past about an expanded tournament, citing the potential dilution of the regular season as one reason for his caution.

Thoughts?? Opinions on expansion?

I'm against it for the reasons above. Not only does it dilute the meaning of the regular season, but many .500 teams would be making the tournament. You could make the case that over 75% of the Big East could make a 96-team pool.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh, and while this is not at all accurate, I am going to use the 2010 NIT seeds to determine the last couple of colleges in what would be a bracket with 96:

Stony Brook (America East): 22-10 (13-3)

Jacksonville (Atlantic Sun): 20-13 (14-6)

Quinnipiac (Northeast): 23-10 (15-3)

Jackson St. (SWAC): 19-13 (17-1)

Many of these #8 seeds in the NIT were first in their regualr season conference standings, but you can check out the NIT bracket here to see who else would potentially be in the field of 96.

Anyways... yeah this is a horrible idea.

Lets make the regular season irrelevant! Why not invite all d1 teams! Why stop there! Invite the d2 and 3 teams! How about that epic matchup between Indiana Northern Tech A&M and Eastonville! Damnit I love college basketball!

Anyways... yeah this is a horrible idea.

Lets make the regular season irrelevant! Why not invite all d1 teams! Why stop there! Invite the d2 and 3 teams! How about that epic matchup between Indiana Northern Tech A&M and Eastonville! Damnit I love college basketball!

Don't forget Championship Week.

I'm very surprised people aren't in favor of this..We LOVE the tournament. Why wouldn't we want one more weekend of it.

I don't think anyone dislikes the tournament. It's the fact that they times the amount of teams in by 1.5.

I jsut don't think some of those teams should deserve it. It's turning into the NBA. 32 teams, 16 playoff teams. Most games will become meaningless. The regular season is downgraded. Conference tournaments are basically useless except for teams in the lower half of their conference standings.

I don't think anyone dislikes the tournament. It's the fact that they times the amount of teams in by 1.5.

I jsut don't think some of those teams should deserve it. It's turning into the NBA. 32 teams, 16 playoff teams. Most games will become meaningless. The regular season is downgraded. Conference tournaments are basically useless except for teams in the lower half of their conference standings.

There are 344 Division 1 Basketball teams. The smaller conference tourneys will still have the same drama, but now the regular season champs will be rewarded for a great regular season.

I don't know, i think this is great for everyone.

There are 344 Division 1 Basketball teams. The smaller conference tourneys will still have the same drama, but now the regular season champs will be rewarded for a great regular season.

The watered-down tournament field is going to create some really lame 1st Round matchups. I foresee half-empty arenas for some of them...not sure if that's going to help the NCAA and its school's bottom line as much as they think it will. But the people with the most voice in the matter all seem to want it, so I guess those of us who like it the way it is will either live with it or watch something else.

About the only potential good I could see coming from this is if some of these bigger conferences, like the ACC, SEC, Big 12, ditch their conference tournaments (since they'd become meaningless anyway) and go to full round-robin schedules instead. Then you'd be guaranteed that the most deserving team will be crowned champion.

The watered-down tournament field is going to create some really lame 1st Round matchups. I foresee half-empty arenas for some of them...not sure if that's going to help the NCAA and its school's bottom line as much as they think it will. But the people with the most voice in the matter all seem to want it' date=' so I guess those of us who like it the way it is will either live with it or watch something else.

About the only potential good I could see coming from this is if some of these bigger conferences, like the ACC, SEC, Big 12, ditch their conference tournaments (since they'd become meaningless anyway) and go to full round-robin schedules instead. Then you'd be guaranteed that the most deserving team will be crowned champion.[/quote']

I think there would be byes for the top seeds, but good point on the arenas being half empty, but honestly, some were during first round early games anyway this year.

They could do that now if they wanted by leaving out the seventh-place Big East and sixth-place ACC teams instead of by bringing in the eighth-place ACC and tenth-place Big East teams too.

They want to get more teams and more fans involved. That's fine, but it also risks diluting the level of play by adding more disappointing big-conference schools who know they can't make a run and have nothing to play for.

You are asking for more time away from class for the teams, especially the ones who expect to go far, which is another anti-football playoff argument.

You're also asking for an extra weekend of travel time and money from students and boosters, which is yet another anti-football playoff argument.

Archived