Treblehorn Dismissed; more changes to come

Crazysilver03

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/roch/blog/2007/09/coaching_change.html#comments

Bench coach Tom Trebelhorn was informed today that he won't have his contract renewed for 2008. No replacement has been named. Candidates will be discussed at the organizational meetings on Oct. 8.

"I was told it was an organization change, the euphemistic way of saying, 'We don't have a real reason, but we're making a change.' But start reading the wire. There will be a lot of those," Trebelhorn said.

"I wish there was one particular lineup card that I had a reason for this, but I can't put my finger on this. That's the way it goes."

If this blog had "tone," you'd know that Trebelhorn didn't sound better. He was joking around with a small group of reporters. But he wanted to return next season and obviously was disappointed by the news. He's been in the organization for 12 years in a variety of capacities.

Trebelhorn might retire if he can't find the right job. He'd be willing to teach in the minors, but the Orioles didn't make him that offer.

Third base coaoch Juan Samuel told the club that he'd return, so he's a definite along with bullpen coach Alan Dunn.

Treblehorn & Mejias are gone. Samuel and Dunn will return

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think he means "bitter," not better.

And I think Trebs knows the basic reason: he's been around for awhile and is part of the culture of losing. Plus, our managers have had almost zero input in their own staffs for awhile, they've finally figured out that they should surround themselves with their own guys.

I won't miss his third base coaching, but he was a competent bench coach. I'm sure he'll land elsewhere, if he even really searches (with his wife's health).

I think he means "bitter," not better.

And I think Trebs knows the basic reason: he's been around for awhile and is part of the culture of losing. Plus, our managers have had almost zero input in their own staffs for awhile, they've finally figured out that they should surround themselves with their own guys.

I won't miss his third base coaching, but he was a competent bench coach. I'm sure he'll land elsewhere, if he even really searches (with his wife's health).

I found this quote interesting:

"I was told it was an organization change, the euphemistic way of saying, 'We don't have a real reason, but we're making a change.' But start reading the wire. There will be a lot of those," Trebelhorn said.

It seems that Mazzone and Crowley could be on their way out as well.

Well, I think Mazzone can conceivably write his own ticket in or out, unless Trembley just doesn't want him for whatever reason (which is completely possible). I'd think Crowley is a goner as well.

But I'd hope Trebs realizes that "organization change" is not a euphamism for "we don't have a reason" but a polite way of saying "we weren't winning with you, were we?"

Yep the housecleaning begins. Mazzone and Crowley should also be given their walking papers...

Also Trebelhorn probably realizes had his wife's health been better that he would have been the manager instead of Trembley, so he's probably a little bitter. It's just the nature of the beast however.

I wonder if they'll bring in Surhoff and Bordick. I'd give Chris Hoiles a call as well...

Yep the housecleaning begins. Mazzone and Crowley should also be given their walking papers...

Also Trebelhorn probably realizes had his wife's health been better that he would have been the manager instead of Trembley, so he's probably a little bitter. It's just the nature of the beast however.

I wonder if they'll bring in Surhoff and Bordick. I'd give Chris Hoiles a call as well...

I don't expect Mazzone to be back although if we were truly serious about trying to do everything possible to turn this thing around they'd do everything in their power to keep him and implement his program system wide.

But since this is the Orioles we're talking about I wouldn't be surprised for them to push him out, bring in another guy and think they might get different results with some of the guys that are not major league caliber pitchers.

Totally my opinion, but I think Mazzone is a foregone conclusion. I don't think he wants out, and I don't think the club (or any of the pitchers) wants him out. I actually think it's more likely Leo is extended rather than bought out.

I hope you are right... I was getting the feeling that Mazzone might be made to be a scapegoat for what happened w/the pitching this season.

I hope you are right... I was getting the feeling that Mazzone might be made to be a scapegoat for what happened w/the pitching this season.

When a guy doesn't work with the bullpen and it becomes one of the worst in baseball after spending 42 million to fix it because it was one of the worst last year, he deserves to be a scapegoat. A pitching coach should work with all the pitchers, no matter how talented he may think they are. It's his job and he didn't do it.

When a guy doesn't work with the bullpen and it becomes one of the worst in baseball after spending 42 million to fix it because it was one of the worst last year, he deserves to be a scapegoat. A pitching coach should work with all the pitchers, no matter how talented he may think they are. It's his job and he didn't do it.

Where does this come from? AFAIK, the root of this rumor is that SG said he heard this from some unnamed person. If SG says he heard it, I believe him. (I think SG has his blind spots, but I don't think SG lies.) But just because "somebody said it", that doesn't mean it's true. Personally, I think the idea that Leo "refused to work with the BP" is complete rubbish. This is a case of people joining a lynch mob based on some unsourced rumor.

I don't think Williams, Hoey, Birkins, Burres, Bell, etc, etc, etc. have anything to do with the $42 million spent. I'm glad we spent on Walker and Bradford.

Archived