Treblehorn Dismissed; more changes to come

Crazysilver03

Treblehorn didn't seem like a problem, but I guess it'll be nice to get some new blood in. Here's to Crowley and a few others having a similar fate.

Well:

The Orioles aren't renewing the contracts of minor league pitching coordinator Doc Watson and roving infield/baserunning instructor Tom Lawless.

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/roch/blog/2007/09/in_the_news_4.html

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Dunn worked in the Cubs farm system, with MacPhail and Trembley. Dunn was hand picked by Trembley. I dont see the connection you are making.

Dempsey was the bullpen coach at one point, Ellie Hendricks was also bullpen coach before him obviously. Neither were PCs. When Mazzone comes aboard in 2006 all of a sudden you see former PCs such as Kison and McCall in the bullpen. I'm just putting two and two together.

BALTIMORE -- Orioles manager Dave Trembley has asserted his will in the clubhouse, and now he'll get to do it on the coaching staff. Trembley announced Sunday that neither bench coach Tom Trebelhorn nor third-base coach Sammy Mejias will return next season, opening two vacancies on the staff that will be filled at the manager's discretion.

Decisions are still forthcoming on pitching coach Leo Mazzone and hitting coach Terry Crowley, and Trembley said they probably wouldn't be announced until after next week's organizational meetings. For now, Trembley hopes to sort through the list of applicants and funnel his choices to Andy MacPhail, Baltimore's president of baseball operations.

"When I got this job, I got [a lot] of phone calls from people," he said. "When Sam Mejias came out and said he wasn't coming back, I got a lot of phone calls from people offering their services. I'm going to take my time. I can tell you that. ... I'm going to get good input from a lot of people, but I'll make the decision and make the suggestion to Mr. MacPhail."

Trebelhorn, who worked for 11 years in Baltimore's organization, seemed resigned to his fate. The former manager and bench coach waxed philosophical on his dismissal and said he wasn't sure what he'd do next.

"I've had a good run here. This is the longest I've been in any organization," said Trebehorn, who spent seven years on the big league coaching staff. "I've done a lot of different jobs, worked for a lot of different people, worked in the warehouse, outside the warehouse, worked with the Minor League affiliates. ... They're going to make changes and changes are part of this business. Do I agree with the change? No. ... They won't get anybody better than me, but they can try."

Both Crowley and Mazzone have a year remaining on their respective contracts, and Mazzone said emphatically Sunday that he'd like to return and attempt to finish the job he started when he signed on with Baltimore two years ago.

"I love it here. I hope to finish my career here," he said when asked about his immediate future. "It's an opportunity to try and help bring a winning tradition back to Baltimore. And I think it can be done."

Baltimore may also shuffle its front office at some point, restructuring positions to better fit MacPhail's emergence as the primary decision-maker. Those decisions -- like those regarding personnel and philosophy -- will be made next week.

"Whether or not we make other decisions -- throughout the organization -- will be determined when we go to the organizational meetings," said Trembley about further changes to his staff or to the organizational hierarchy. "We're making changes to this organization -- whether you or anybody else feels it's right or wrong -- because we feel it's necessary to do it. We're going to do what we feel we have to do in order to change the face and identity. And we're going to go in another direction."

http://baltimore.orioles.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070930&content_id=2241193&vkey=news_bal&fext=.jsp&c_id=bal

So wait, there actually is a DIRECTION :eek: .

I dont think I have ever been this excited going into an offseason. This whole thing is going to be blown up. Later in the article, MacPhail talks about making some trades.

The first name that came to mind for me is Bill Virdon. I seem to remember him as a bench coach in the late 70's, but he was a manager for Houston then, followed by a stint with Montreal. I must remember him as a bench coach in the mid-80's. Either that, or he was the manager who hired the bench coach that I'm thinking of.

According to this, the first was Joe Camacho who worked under Ted Williams for the Washington Senators.

Interesting article... not only the info you mentioned, but also the quotes by ex-Oriole Mike Epstein... thanks...

Where does this come from? AFAIK, the root of this rumor is that SG said he heard this from some unnamed person. If SG says he heard it, I believe him. (I think SG has his blind spots, but I don't think SG lies.) But just because "somebody said it", that doesn't mean it's true. Personally, I think the idea that Leo "refused to work with the BP" is complete rubbish. This is a case of people joining a lynch mob based on some unsourced rumor.

I had also heard, from the same guy, that Trebelhorn wouldn't be back...Expect the Mazzone announcement sooner than later.

DT seems to want him gone.

I'm getting a sense that Trembley seems to feel threatened by more experienced (Major League) coaches in general. Are you getting that sense as well? Has the power gone to his head a bit? I hope Mazzone does go but I think Treblehorn got a raw deal considering that he would have been ahead of Trembley in line for the job he got if his wife hadn't had a stroke.

http://baltimore.orioles.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070930&content_id=2241193&vkey=news_bal&fext=.jsp&c_id=bal

So wait, there actually is a DIRECTION :eek: .

I dont think I have ever been this excited going into an offseason. This whole thing is going to be blown up. Later in the article, MacPhail talks about making some trades.

I'll believe it when I see it.

I'm getting a sense that Trembley seems to feel threatened by more experienced (Major League) coaches in general. Are you getting that sense as well? Has the power gone to his head a bit? I hope Mazzone does go but I think Treblehorn got a raw deal considering that he would have been ahead of Trembley in line for the job he got if his wife hadn't had a stroke.

I wouldn't be surprised to hear Trembley has been at odds with Trebelhorn. When a you and a guy go for the same job and then that guy becomes your boss, it's not a good relationship. I noticed Mazzone and Trembley seemed to be somewhat distant in the dugout. DT would be up on the steps and Mazzone would be rocking away on the bench...

I dont think Trembley doesnt want experienced coaches. He wants his own staff. For how many years have we watched new managers been told to keep the staff that was there before them.

Samuels was new this year and Dunn was Trembley's first choice. Trembley is building his own coaching staff, so let him.

Him and Mazzone are probably going to sit down and have a discussion as to what happens from here on out.

How can anybody complain about any of the coaches being fired??? The team is a disaster and many of the coaches have been around for years. Thank goodness Trembley is getting a shot to reshape the coaching staff.

Treblehorn "getting the shaft"?? Treblehorn, like all coaches in his situation, is incredibly lucky that the O's have paid his salary for 12 years. He was a crappy third base coach and basically the biggest job of the bench coach is to be the managers buddy. If he can't do that to Trembley's satisfaction, then it's time to move on.

Archived