Apparently Adam Jones challenges the fans to some batting practice

bOhs01

There's no denying that he hasn't been playing well. It's one thing to criticize his play. It's completely different to criticize his personality, character, work ethic, desire, etc when it's completely unfounded.

No ones criticized his work ethic or desire.

It's not completely unfounded. And I don't think anyone here has really criticized the personality or character, despite what SJ wants everyone to think.

People have certainly QUESTIONED it. And there's nothing wrong with that.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Blaming the team's performance on his under-performance is one thing. Blaming his performance on ego, character issues, lack of desire, blowing bubbles, nonchalant attitude, Twitter, etc is completely different and it's all unfounded BS.

Then what is the reason? He's been pretty bad since June. If it's not a personality/motivation problem, what is it? This is a little long for it to be "just a slump", isn't it?

No ones criticized his work ethic or desire.

It's not completely unfounded. And I don't think anyone here has really criticized the personality or character, despite what SJ wants everyone to think.

People have certainly QUESTIONED it. And there's nothing wrong with that.

Wait a minute, how can you question something like work-ethic or ego and have it NOT be a criticism?

I mean the only reason you would question it is if you felt something was wrong and therefore in need of critique.

Blaming the team's performance on his under-performance is one thing. Blaming his performance on ego, character issues, lack of desire, blowing bubbles, nonchalant attitude, Twitter, etc is completely different and it's all unfounded BS.

To be fair, I took a similar stance when I was coaching while in law school. 19-under team, so they were HS/College kids. They had a base of knowledge for the game, and the team was competitive and about wins. I wasn't going to jump on players for not doing something exactly as I asked (I was an infield coach). If they showed they can get the job done their way, so be it. I'm fine with it.

But if you aren't getting to balls, aren't accurate on your pivots, or aren't getting your feet under you when you throw, I'm not going to tolerate the "flash", I'm not going to be as easy-going with the horseplay between drills or on the bench, etc. I want to know that you are focused and that your priorities are straight while your at the office (the field).

Now, MLers obviously get more room. They are adults (for the most part), they have a long baseball history, and they presumably now what it takes to succeed. But if things are going poorly for a particular player, I think it's reasonable to look at them and see if there are outside influences that could be affecting play on the field. No one wants to be talked down to, but I don't see how, based on the way Jones presents himself to the media/public, it's wholly crazy to think he MAY benefit from less focus on Twittering/texting, etc.

Now, this is probably just another example of technology exposing things that players have always done (we just never had an inside look at it). But I don't see how it's tough to understand why some of this MIGHT rub some people the wrong way. Shrug.

Wait a minute, how can you question something like work-ethic or ego and have it NOT be a criticism?

I mean the only reason you would question it is if you felt something was wrong and therefore in need of critique.

I guess I should give you a serious response, after all...

Questioning: Is Jones' head where it needs to be? Is he totally focused on his game?

Criticizing: Jones doesn't have his head where it should be. He's not focused. He's twittering during games.

I guess I should give you a serious response, after all...

Questioning: Is Jones' head where it needs to be? Is he totally focused on his game?

Criticizing: Jones doesn't have his head where it should be. He's not focused. He's twittering during games.

But see, the question itself implies that you don't think he has his head in the game because, if you thought he did you wouldn't have a need to ask the question.

And that is fine - but temper it a bit guys. I don't see people complaining about Luke Scott chirping to the media about his role with the team and making assumptions about his commitment etc etc etc.

Luke Scott has done more outright complaining in the media. All this Jones stuff is conjecture, yet Scott doesn't seem to get the grief that Jones is getting....curious.

First of all let me say that if I am inferring something that you didn't imply, I apologize. I was wondering if it was where you were going with this post and when you ended it with "...curious" it kind of sealed the deal in my mind.

Are you saying that people are jumping on AJ because he's black?

I think the real issue here is that Adam Jones has always been a big talker. And I mean this in a good way. He talks about winning and he talks about kicking guys in the butt if they aren't with it. I love all that stuff. But he's not putting his money where his mouth is and it's super frustrating.

As for the Twitter comments, I don't think that Adam is a bad guy or a jerk by any means. I think he was frustrated and that he made some ill advised comments. I don't think that he was joking as you say he was (if he was, he needs help learning to tell jokes), and I think that there should be some backlash for it. If an athlete said that to a reporter it would a HUGE blunder. In the age of new media athletes need to be careful.

But see, he hasn't said or done ANYTHING that is "Lightening Rod" worthy. I didn't see every other thread laced with crap against Scott when his statement was made.

People are reacting in a very ridiculous fashion to very innocuous things Jones has said and done.

Seriously, someone compared him to Elijah Dukes the other day, someone used Jones' name in the same sentence as Milton Bradley - really.

You completely missed the point of my post. His status on the team and personality in comparison to the rest of the "big names" is what puts him at the forefront. If you don't see how anything I referenced may rub some people the wrong way, I don't know what to tell you. There are plenty of things at my law office that I don't think are a big deal, but I can understand that there are partners who feel differently. I also understand that my family may not understand the atmosphere at my firm, and therefore won't necessarily understand where I'm coming from when I'm trying to explain something that is frustrating (or to defend something they think is stupid).

Perspective is part of growing-up. Everyone isn't going to be as easy-going as everyone else. And certainly people from varying backgrounds are going to have different thoughts on how people should carry themselves in different situations. As a pro athlete, I think you need to understand that, or have a thick enough skin that you don't care what people say. Either approach is valid. Jeter goes one way; Bonds goes the other. Jones has made it VERY clear he wants to be a known commodity on the team. He wants to be the best he can. He wants to be known as one of the best. There is a responsibility that comes with that, and part of the responsibility is taking some heat when the team is down. He sure as hell is showered with adulation when things are running well for him (see the entirity of the first half of last season, where posters here were already calling him Tori Hunter and "one of the best OFs in the game").

Sorry, not shedding a tear for some "rough treatment" of Jones when things go the other way some. You want the spotlight, great. Teams need leaders. But leaders don't need to be coddled. Either you're ready to step-up and take ownership of yourself and the team, or you're not.

But see, the question itself implies that you don't think he has his head in the game because, if you thought he did you wouldn't have a need to ask the question.

Just as you said it's human nature for Jones to get frustrated with the fans who question him, it's also human nature for the fans to question him when things have gone as they have since last june.

How often have you seen Jeter, Pedroia, Verlander, ARod, Teix, Vlad, Ichiro, Chipper, Pujols, etc. talk about getting texts during the game?

Why are you so resistent to the idea that SOME things Jones says/does brings this on himself?

First of all let me say that if I am inferring something that you didn't imply, I apologize. I was wondering if it was where you were going with this post and when you ended it with "...curious" it kind of sealed the deal in my mind.

I think the real issue here is that Adam Jones has always been a big talker. And I mean this in a good way. He talks about winning and he talks about kicking guys in the butt if they aren't with it. I love all that stuff. But he's not putting his money where his mouth is and it's super frustrating.

As for the Twitter comments, I don't think that Adam is a bad guy or a jerk by any means. I think he was frustrated and that he made some ill advised comments. I don't think that he was joking as you say he was (if he was, he needs help learning to tell jokes), and I think that there should be some backlash for it. If an athlete said that to a reporter it would a HUGE blunder. In the age of new media athletes need to be careful.

Not at all.

Just one guy gets all this flack meanwhile we have another guy who has actually complained in the media multiple times about his role with the team and is struggling just as mightily seems to avoid that criticism.

That is curious.

Well put, Stacey.

You completely missed the point of my post. His status on the team and personality in comparison to the rest of the "big names" is what puts him at the forefront. If you don't see how anything I referenced may rub some people the wrong way, I don't know what to tell you. There are plenty of things at my law office that I don't think are a big deal, but I can understand that there are partners who feel differently. I also understand that my family may not understand the atmosphere at my firm, and therefore won't necessarily understand where I'm coming from when I'm trying to explain something that is frustrating (or to defend something they think is stupid).

Perspective is part of growing-up. Everyone isn't going to be as easy-going as everyone else. And certainly people from varying backgrounds are going to have different thoughts on how people should carry themselves in different situations. As a pro athlete, I think you need to understand that, or have a thick enough skin that you don't care what people say. Either approach is valid. Jeter goes one way; Bonds goes the other. Jones has made it VERY clear he wants to be a known commodity on the team. He wants to be the best he can. He wants to be known as one of the best. There is a responsibility that comes with that, and part of the responsibility is taking some heat when the team is down. He sure as hell is showered with adulation when things are running well for him (see the entirity of the first half of last season, where posters here were already calling him Tori Hunter and "one of the best OFs in the game").

Sorry, not shedding a tear for some "rough treatment" of Jones when things go the other way some. You want the spotlight, great. Teams need leaders. But leaders don't need to be coddled. Either you're ready to step-up and take ownership of yourself and the team, or you're not.

Perfectly explained.

Not at all.

Just one guy gets all this flack meanwhile we have another guy who has actually complained in the media multiple times about his role with the team and is struggling just as mightily seems to avoid that criticism.

That is curious.

Yes, very curious why a 24-year old, "face of the franchise", 2009 all-star representative might be viewed differently by the fanbase than a 32-year old with no real future in the organization or even set position with the team. Curious, indeed....

Archived