Third Rate Sluggers now Participate in HR Derby

Catch 8

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/allstar10/news/story?id=5338160

This just really irks me. I know many of us are not huge HR Derby people, but, shouldn't players be obligated to participate if chosen? I was at the 1993 HR Derby, and all the game's best sluggers participated. Same argument for the All-Star Game; if you chose to sit out, then you should have to go on the 15-day DL. Also, no all-star bonuses for those who are inactive for the game.

Just once again, the HR Derby might have some significance if all the game's big sluggers participated. Imagine:

AL: A-Rod, Cabrera, Morneau, Hamilton, Vladdy

NL: Pujols, Howard, Dunn, Fielder, A-Gonz

(Yes, I am sure I am forgetting some)

This just really irks me. I know many of us are not huge HR Derby people, but, shouldn't players be obligated to participate if chosen?

I don't care about the HR Derby. The All-Star Game is interesting IFF the players take it seriously. But the HR Derby isn't, at least not to me. I don't see why you'd make somebody do it if they don't want to. They could abolish the thing for all I care...

I love the HR Derby. I think it's a lot of fun and a lot of shock and awe. I agree with Catch 8 I wish it really was the BEST sluggers in the game.

That being said, I don't think it's particularly important (except for PR value) and if a player bows out, then that's up to him, no foul.

Archived