The Yankees could look a lot different next year

Sports Guy

FAs:

Posada

AROD(he will opt out)

Clemens

Rivera

Abreu

Torre looks like he may be gone...I am going to assume Cashman will be let go as well.

It will be strange not to see a Yankee team with Torre, Rivera and Posada....Now, they may all end up being back but i am not sure about that.

Pettite has an option for next year which i assume he will exercise but he has mentioned retiring.

Now, the other side to this is they are going to be younger and probably cheaper and give them a better look towards the future.

Gotta think they go out and add a first baseman somewhere....They can put Betemit at third if AROD leaves.

Rotation, as of right now, i would assume has Wang, Mussina, Pettite, Joba and Hughes.

They could look to get rid of Pettite or Mussina and put Kennedy in the rotation or try to make a splash and trade for Santana.

I gotta think they try to break this team up some....Get some new blood...A new voice and new leadership.

ARod, Rivera, and Posada will all be back. Clemens is gone. Abreu is probably back unless they decide they would rather have A Jones.

You make a good point that Santana is a likely target.

I can see the Moose being traded.

Only with his permission... he's a 10-5 year player.

The Yankees are in a bad position, because there isn't a lot available in free agency. They can re-sign all these old guys to 2-3 year deals, and watch them slowly (or perhaps quickly) decline, or they can let them go and replace them with players who aren't as good right now. And with ARod, they either lose a guy whose production cannot be replaced, or they simply have to pay him more money than they were already paying him to get similar or lesser production (considering the year he had, he pretty much has nowhere to go but down). They have some upside with their young pitchers, but there is a lot more downside than upside for this team in the near term.

Archived