Stark on Baseball Tonight

DC2Dallas

I've been listening to the media (Olney, Kurkjian, Stark, Rosenthal) over the past couple of weeks and everytime the Orioles are mentioned as a possible trade partner with anyone, you always hear the name Angelos. You neeeeeeeever hear Flanagan's name, but you're always hearing Pupura, Stoneman, etc....

I just think that's kinda funny.

Or depressing -- call it what you will.

Heard an interview yesterday that talked about how the days of getting three top prospects -- even for a marquee star -- are over, and that one top-shelf prospect and a player would make most people jump. If the going rate has dropped that much, and if Pence and Hirsch are as good as advertised, I think we should jump -- Everett or no Everett. Besides, if we trade Tejada, by all means try to send him to the National League.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't think you can place enough emphasis on Houston's urgency here. They went out big to get Clemens to return, and now feel like they absolutely HAVE to make something happen to get back into the post-season. I remember last year Clemens was griping about them not making any Beltran-esque moves. If one team was more likely (AA's vs. HA's) I would think it has to be Houston.

This post needs to be repeated once again.

On the one hand you've got the Angels, who would have to move someone to a new position if they acquired Tejada, have a GM who's notoriously stingy with his prospects, have a good shot at the playoffs even without adding Tejada, and have other options worth looking into (Lee, Soriano, Abreu).

On the other hand you've got the Astros, who can plug Tejada right in at SS (but would have to shuffle to accomodate one of the OFs), are a team that's made blockbuster deadline deals in the past (Big Unit, Beltran), have made a gigantic financial commitment to this season already (yet they'll have something like $50M freed up after this season, so Tejada's contract would be a breeze to fit in long-term), and are going absolutely nowhere unless they add offense.

The motivation levels here are wildly different. And that's even with the Angels being very interested.

Should be interesting to see how things shake out.

On the one hand you've got the Angels, who would have to move someone to a new position if they acquired Tejada, have a GM who's notoriously stingy with his prospects, have a good shot at the playoffs even without adding Tejada, and have other options worth looking into (Lee, Soriano, Abreu).

On the other hand you've got the Astros, who can plug Tejada right in at SS (but would have to shuffle to accomodate one of the OFs), are a team that's made blockbuster deadline deals in the past (Big Unit, Beltran), have made a gigantic financial commitment to this season already (yet they'll have something like $50M freed up after this season, so Tejada's contract would be a breeze to fit in long-term), and are going absolutely nowhere unless they add offense.

The motivation levels here are wildly different. And that's even with the Angels being very interested.

These are all good points. The only caveat I would add is that Houston is already 10 games back in the division and 6 games back for the wildcard, so they're more likely to say "screw it" and give up on this season. But you never know how desperate the owners and GMs are to give it one last shot.

These are all good points. The only caveat I would add is that Houston is already 10 games back in the division and 6 games back for the wildcard, so they're more likely to say "screw it" and give up on this season. But you never know how desperate the owners and GMs are to give it one last shot.

This is a good point, but Dave made a good one in that Tejada is tied up for 3 more years and they will have the money in the budget to keep him.

I'm hearing it to the Angels and it may come down to Big Pete signing off on the deal. Deal will include Woods if it happens with LA.

That's encouraging. Wood is the guy, I personally, would like to have the most.

I'd have to think realistically, if we get a guy like him as part of the package, it's not going to include a whole lot more. People expecting us to get Santana are being unrealistic, IMO.

Considering Wood is arguably the top prospect in baseball, I know if he was in our farm system, it would be vary hard for me to support trading him. And if we did, I wouldn't want to add very much to the deal.

If we could get a deal of Wood & Adenhart, I'd do it. Baseball America just released their mid season rankings. Wood was holding down the #3 spot behind Stephen Drew & Delmon Young and ahead of Justin Upton. All those guys were #1 picks or in Drew's case, should have been the top pick (signability). That's elite company right there.

If we could get Wood + Adenhart, that seems like the best offer so far. By comparison, Adenhart is rated the #20 prospect. Jason Hirsch is #18 and Loewen is #22. With the emphasis we place on young pitchers, this would be a guy who would come in and become our top pitching prospect to boot.

For Tejada, I'd expect a Top 10 prospect, a top 20 prospect and a mid level prospect.

Wood/Adenhart fits the bill, maybe adding on to Tejada and bring in Kotchman as well, in a buy low move.

Obviously any trade with Houston or LAA is gonna mainly be for prospects. LAA can afford to give up their top prospects and Houston has to Mortgage the future in order to take the gamble. Personally, I think if Houston got Tejada for 3 more years that Clemens would be quite tempted to come back for another year. But getting back to a possible LAA deal with Kotchman included. My question is has Kotchmans decreased?

Hirsh is a consensus top 25 prospect. His K rate is pretty good, and while his walks are a little concerning, he has very good control for a guy who is 6'8.

Pence is a consensus top 50 prospect.

Take out Everett, add guys like Paul Estrada and Juan Guitierrez and I would be willing to take that kind of deal. However, I actually think we might be able to get Patton back in a deal with the Astos, but if not I would be fine with a package like I mentioned above.

As for the Angels, I would still much prefer Kendrick over Wood. Wood's K rate is alarmingly high. However, I would obviously take either, and Kendrick is really getting hot in the majors (now at .280 and hit his first home run a couple days ago).

I think I still want Aybar back in the deal along with Wood. Have him hold down SS until Wood is ready or shift Wood to 3b, and Mora to LF. Obviously the third guy should be a young pitcher, and Adenhart or Arredondo would be fine with me. Maybe we could throw in something else and get an extra prospect out of it.

That's encouraging. Wood is the guy, I personally, would like to have the most.

I'd have to think realistically, if we get a guy like him as part of the package, it's not going to include a whole lot more. People expecting us to get Santana are being unrealistic, IMO.

Considering Wood is arguably the top prospect in baseball, I know if he was in our farm system, it would be vary hard for me to support trading him. And if we did, I wouldn't want to add very much to the deal.

If we could get a deal of Wood & Adenhart, I'd do it. Baseball America just released their mid season rankings. Wood was holding down the #3 spot behind Stephen Drew & Delmon Young and ahead of Justin Upton. All those guys were #1 picks or in Drew's case, should have been the top pick (signability). That's elite company right there.

If we could get Wood + Adenhart, that seems like the best offer so far. By comparison, Adenhart is rated the #20 prospect. Jason Hirsch is #18 and Loewen is #22. With the emphasis we place on young pitchers, this would be a guy who would come in and become our top pitching prospect to boot.

For Tejada, I'd expect a Top 10 prospect, a top 20 prospect and a mid level prospect.

Wood/Adenhart fits the bill, maybe adding on to Tejada and bring in Kotchman as well, in a buy low move.

I agree. I like the idea of Wood and Adenhart for Tejeda. If we can also get Kotchman then I think it is a really good deal. If Angels want someone like Hawkins or anyone else we've got on the trading block for that package, I'd do that as well.

If you were the O's and you had your druthers... which package would you prefer between :

Adenhardt, Aybar and Kotchman (not that Stoneman would do that)

or

Everett, Pence and Hirsch???

Just curious.

Hirsh is a consensus top 25 prospect. His K rate is pretty good, and while his walks are a little concerning, he has very good control for a guy who is 6'8.

Pence is a consensus top 50 prospect.

Take out Everett, add guys like Paul Estrada and Juan Guitierrez and I would be willing to take that kind of deal. However, I actually think we might be able to get Patton back in a deal with the Astos, but if not I would be fine with a package like I mentioned above.

As for the Angels, I would still much prefer Kendrick over Wood. Wood's K rate is alarmingly high. However, I would obviously take either, and Kendrick is really getting hot in the majors (now at .280 and hit his first home run a couple days ago).

I think I still want Aybar back in the deal along with Wood. Have him hold down SS until Wood is ready or shift Wood to 3b, and Mora to LF. Obviously the third guy should be a young pitcher, and Adenhart or Arredondo would be fine with me. Maybe we could throw in something else and get an extra prospect out of it.

I can't fathom Bill Stoneman trading away Brandon Wood or Kendrick.

If you were the O's and you had your druthers... which package would you prefer between :

Adenhardt, Aybar and Kotchman (not that Stoneman would do that)

or

Everett, Pence and Hirsch???

Just curious.

That's a no brainer Adenhart/Aybar and Hirsch/Pence are about equal in terms of value. Nobody should want Everett (We already have a player like him in Fahey), I'd much rather have Kotchman.

Depends on the wallet of the owner... as I hear on ESPN all day long.. if you've got money like the Mets, Yankees and Redsox.. perhaps the Angels.. then trade away whoever you have to acquire whoever you need to put yourself over the top as you will easily be able to replace the guy you traded away during the next FA cycle. Not sure if the Angels are in this boat...

If he is to get Tejada, he has to trade one of them.

Unless he would rather part with Adenhart, Arredondo, Aybar, and Kotchman. That would actually be kind of risky for us, but there is also a lot of upside in a proposal like that.

It makes sense for them, IMO. Kendrick is already contributing for them. If they get Tejada, that gives them 3 more years where they can make a run for the championship.

They have guys like Kendrick & Aybar who are MLB ready now. Wood needs more seasoning.

Assuming they can get rid of OCab in the off-season, they could have Tejada (3B), Aybar (SS) & Kendrick (2B) as their infield on opening day contributing.

That's a no brainer Adenhart/Aybar and Hirsch/Pence are about equal in terms of value. Nobody should want Everett (We already have a player like him in Fahey), I'd much rather have Kotchman.

Agreed, though I think Pence offers us somebody who really can hit for power, while the guys in the Angels package are different kind of players. Also, Hirsh is ready to pitch in the big leagues, while Adenhart is still in A ball.

Archived