Nationals Sign Rick Ankiel

Brendan25

The Nats are at least trying.They had a deal for Greinke done but he wouldn't waive his no trade.Their still in on Pavano,Lee and Laroche.

We will wait until we win 80 games before we can start to spend money.13 years and counting.

The Washington Nationals: heeding fans' desperate calls to do something (anything!) since 2010.

Good lord cripple what?...they had the worst record in the majors 2 straight years.They finnished last 6 years running.

A bad team has the perfect opportunity to build correctly, to have a high efficiency team that's self-sustaining. One that can win with a moderate payroll befitting their moderate market and attendance. One that can affort that last big free agent to push them over the top when their kids have really started to blossom.

Unless the Lerners really do want to operate the team at a loss, they simply don't have the internal organizational revenues to just sign pretty good free agents at over-the-top costs year after year. Mid-market teams don't usually win with declining 36-year-old outfielders with multiple years left at $18M per.

Signings like Werth will not make the Nats contend in 2011, and it's pretty likely his contract will make it harder for them to contend in 2013 or 2014 when Harper and Strasburg are ready to go.

A bad team has the perfect opportunity to build correctly, to have a high efficiency team that's self-sustaining. One that can win with a moderate payroll befitting their moderate market and attendance. One that can affort that last big free agent to push them over the top when their kids have really started to blossom.

Unless the Lerners really do want to operate the team at a loss, they simply don't have the internal organizational revenues to just sign pretty good free agents at over-the-top costs year after year. Mid-market teams don't usually win with declining 36-year-old outfielders with multiple years left at $18M per.

Signings like Werth will not make the Nats contend in 2011, and it's pretty likely his contract will make it harder for them to contend in 2013 or 2014 when Harper and Strasburg are ready to go.

if you can agree the best way to win is to have better players then we have no argument.

You can argue they spent to much ,but they did get better players for their team.

if you can agree the best way to win is to have better players then we have no argument.

You can argue they spent to much ,but they did get better players for their team.

Sure, but by that "logic" you could just hand every free agent a blank check. You'd win more games next year, just before the team declares bankruptcy and folds.

When you go to a restaurant, do you go to the one your friends tell you costs the most, or the one your friends tell you has the best food? Because you are definitely arguing for the former here.

Besides, the Nationals, despite playing in an easier division in an easier league and being fifteen games up after four months, finished a total of three games ahead of the Orioles last year. Their move this offseason made them pay an additional $6 million a year for the next four years, plus $54 million over three additional years, for a net increase of 1.3 WAR. Not even counting Werth's decline, which could easily start even this year.

Yeah, that's the team that is "trying".

If I want to get into a building, I can "try" running through the wall, or I can "try" to walk around until I find the door. Which "try" is the one you want the Orioles to attempt?

When you go to a restaurant, do you go to the one your friends tell you costs the most, or the one your friends tell you has the best food? Because you are definitely arguing for the former here.

Besides, the Nationals, despite playing in an easier division in an easier league and being fifteen games up after four months, finished a total of three games ahead of the Orioles last year. Their move this offseason made them pay an additional $6 million a year for the next four years, plus $54 million over three additional years, for a net increase of 1.3 WAR. Not even counting Werth's decline, which could easily start even this year.

Yeah, that's the team that is "trying".

If I want to get into a building, I can "try" running through the wall, or I can "try" to walk around until I find the door. Which "try" is the one you want the Orioles to attempt?

He's Riggo. He can run through walls... :rolleyestf:

Archived