Zrebiec: At impasse with LaRoche; turning attention to Lee

section36

Laroche overplayed his hand last year, and it appears he's doing so again. Nothing to do here but be patient. We had a similar negotiation with Huff in 2006-07. He wanted 4/$36mm, and dragged it out until after the holidays, realized nothing more was coming and signed for 3/$20mm on January 3, 2007. Now, you can say the Huff contract wasn't good and we are making the same mistake twice, but my point is, if we want this guy, we can wait him out for a while until Andy gets the sense that other options are going to go by the board if we don't act.

Articulated very well.

And hopefully if this follows suit, we don't end up paying LaRoche 3/21.

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Articulated very well.

And hopefully if this follows suit, we don't end up paying LaRoche 3/21.

Just saying this now for hindsight purposes: this is one situation in which I won't be angry if MacPhail doesn't up his offer and LaRoche signs with another team (especially if the other team makes a stupid offer, like 3/30 or something (I'm looking at you, Washington)). I'm probably going to continue to be molten-pissed about Dunn until the 1B situation is more permanently fixed, though.

Just saying this now for hindsight purposes: this is one situation in which I won't be angry if MacPhail doesn't up his offer and LaRoche signs with another team (especially if the other team makes a stupid offer, like 3/30 or something (I'm looking at you, Washington)). I'm probably going to continue to be molten-pissed about Dunn until the 1B situation is more permanently fixed, though.

Knott again. Can we be Dunn talking about past mistakes? No Moore...no Moore!

I wonder what kind of offer LaRoche has from the Gnats? It still seems to me that all this boils down to Texas' interest in Beltre. If they are no longer in on him, then they most likely sign Vlad as DH. This leaves Lee to choose between DC and the O's, if he wants his 8-10MM. Once Lee makes his choice, LaRoche has to take what the other is offering, or go play for the Pads for 4MM.:laughlol:

I don't want Derek Lee anyway. I think the O's should take their chance with Luke Scott at first and go with Vlad or Thome at DH. It may not work but it's better than the other options since LaRoche isn't coming here.

Well said, Frobby. Not sure how folks read the Royle twitter and conclude LaRoche does not want to come here .....

The comment simply states that LaRoche is seeking "Pena money".

Can you look at last year's stats for Pena (1.1 WAR per Baseball Reference in 2010 and 1.5 WAR for the two years 09/10) and blame LaRoche (1.2 WAR in 2010 and 1.3 WAR for the two years)?

I think the larger issue here is that LaRoche and, more specifically, his agent do not appear to understand the 1B/DH supply is working against them and their negotiating strategies could end up costing $Ms again.

Well said, Frobby. Not sure how folks read the Royle twitter and conclude LaRoche does not want to come here .....

Can you look at last year's stats for Pena (1.1 WAR per Baseball Reference in 2010 and 1.5 WAR for the two years 09/10) and blame LaRoche (1.2 WAR in 2010 and 1.3 WAR for the two years)?

I think the larger issue here is that LaRoche and, more specifically, his agent do not appear to understand the 1B/DH supply is working against them and their negotiating strategies could end up costing $Ms again.

Pena only got 1 year though..LaRoche is apparently seeking multi-years.

So, you are then saying that he wants a 2/20 or 3/30 deal, which is absurd.

According to MLBTR the average FA cost for a 1B this year is 6.5 MM, Lyle Overbay money.http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/12/average-free-agent-prices.html

Right on both points -

Well said by FRobby and Royle's tweet said nothing about him not wanting to play for the Orioles, just that he want more than we're willing to pay. No more, no less.

Archived