Roberts Comes Clean

Night Owl

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This makes the Orioles look incredibly stupid for issuing that statement against the Mitchell report. But considering we are the laughing stock of MLB, it will just be another example of how dumb this franchise is. Not sure how Angelos took that one when Roberts admitted it to him. I'm sure this won't hurt Brian's trade value that much, just because he tried steroids once. However its just another reason why he should go, to remove the steroid cloud from the Orioles once and for all...

I really don't think we can take Roberts' "just once" claim at face value. Sure he's a nice guy and scrappy and we all want to believe that if he took steroids, it was just a one-time slip-up. But this a guy who jumped from 4 HR in 641 ABs in 2004 to 8 HR in April 2005 alone! This while the O's clubhouse was, by all accounts, crawling with guys who show up on the Mitchell report. Maybe it's all a big coincidence, but there's a whole lot of circumstantial evidence here.

I really don't think we can take Roberts' "just once" claim at face value. Sure he's a nice guy and scrappy and we all want to believe that if he took steroids, it was just a one-time slip-up. But this a guy who jumped from 4 HR in 641 ABs in 2004 to 8 HR in April 2005 alone! This while the O's clubhouse was, by all accounts, crawling with guys who show up on the Mitchell report. Maybe it's all a big coincidence, but there's a whole lot of circumstantial evidence here.

I think you can because he admitted it to Bigbie and said he took them once. Why would he tell Bigbie he only took them once if he continued to use? I can see him trying something, especially to get an edge on Hairston but finding out it didn't work. As for the 8 HRs in April 2005, don't forget Roberts switched to those special contact lenses which allowed him to see the ball better. Eventually pitchers adjusted to him and his HR rate dropped.

As for the 8 HRs in April 2005, don't forget Roberts switched to those special contact lenses which allowed him to see the ball better. Eventually pitchers adjusted to him and his HR rate dropped.

Anything is possible. But I don't recall that anyone else in the majors has enjoyed a power surge that was attributable to contract lenses - one would think that if the lenses were so good, all the punchless hitters in MLB would be rushing out to get them. Also, I'm not sure what it means that pitchers were able to adjust to him in such a way that he stopped hitting HRs but continued to hit for average - he remains a solid hitter, but he simply hasn't shown power like that before or since.

As for the 8 HRs in April 2005, don't forget Roberts switched to those special contact lenses which allowed him to see the ball better.
The lenses had absolutely nothing to do with the huge power surge. He only even wore those during day games. It was just a complete flukey month. Since about 2004 he's had a very consistent power output except for April 2005.

Anything is possible. But I don't recall that anyone else in the majors has enjoyed a power surge that was attributable to contract lenses - one would think that if the lenses were so good, all the punchless hitters in MLB would be rushing out to get them. Also, I'm not sure what it means that pitchers were able to adjust to him in such a way that he stopped hitting HRs but continued to hit for average - he remains a solid hitter, but he simply hasn't shown power like that before or since.

Just look at Matt Kemp:

The amber-tinted lenses for daytime use have made the 22-year-old feel so comfortable in the cage that he said he would use them in games this season. They not only protect his eyes from the sun's glare, but they also increase contrast for him to better see the red seams on a fast-moving baseball.

http://www.pe.com/sports/baseball/dodgers/stories/PE_Sports_Local_D_dodgers_notes_23.1d2f42c.html

And James Loney:

Loney's success at the plate can be partly traced to the performance-enhancing contact lenses he began wearing full-time last year. Before that, he'd hit better than .300 once in four minor league seasons.

"It's kind of like wearing sunglasses," he said of the red contacts, which reduce glare but give his eyes an eerie tint. "I'm seeing the ball well."

http://dodgers.topbuzz.com/portal.php?topic_id=8

I'm surprised guys are saying anything at all, especially with the lack of hard evidence the Report showed. I doubt they're fearing Selig's handling of the matter, but there must be some real concern that they could end up in a federal court one day, and they want to make sure the can't possibly purger themselves. I hope BRob got some legal advice before he spoke out.

Archived