Any chance we add a new affiliate?

sportsfan8703

Lots of teams have multiple rookie league teams whether that be in the GCL or AZL?  See below,

http://m.milb.com/standings/#/js/standings/?c=rok&o=124

Seems like with an emphasis on rebuilding the farm system, and signing international guys, this would be a necessary route to go. Especially if the additional team can just use the same facilities as the GCL team we currently have. This seems to be the easier route versus adding an affiliate like “Bluefield” that we used to have. 

We signed a ton of draft picks. We could get visas and bring over more international players. Is there really enough playing time to go around on the one GCL team?  Are simulated and instructional league games really enough to develop players that miss out on playing time?  

This is the type of thing that with slashing payroll, potentially being the worst team in baseball for three straight years, that would show a further commitment to building the farm. 

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Lots of teams have multiple rookie league teams whether that be in the GCL or AZL?  See below,

http://m.milb.com/standings/#/js/standings/?c=rok&o=124

Seems like with an emphasis on rebuilding the farm system, and signing international guys, this would be a necessary route to go. Especially if the additional team can just use the same facilities as the GCL team we currently have. This seems to be the easier route versus adding an affiliate like “Bluefield” that we used to have. 

We signed a ton of draft picks. We could get visas and bring over more international players. Is there really enough playing time to go around on the one GCL team?  Are simulated and instructional league games really enough to develop players that miss out on playing time?  

This is the type of thing that with slashing payroll, potentially being the worst team in baseball for three straight years, that would show a further commitment to building the farm. 

I don't see the O's adding a minor league team before they see how the new CBA effects minor league pay.

Selfishly I'd love to see them get Bluefield back because that is a great trip to watch minor league baseball in an old school environment.

It also will allow them to give their 2nd year high school players that are not ready for Aberdeen/Delmarva a place to play along with giving their college players a better experience than the GCL with it's hot, humid day games. this would open up more spots for DSL players as well.

With all the new emphasis on the international market, it makes some sense to add a team here in the states, and getting back into the Appalachian league would be a nice step.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Selfishly I'd love to see them get Bluefield back because that is a great trip to watch minor league baseball in an old school environment.

It also will allow them to give their 2nd year high school players that are not ready for Aberdeen/Delmarva a place to play along with giving their college players a better experience than the GCL with it's hot, humid day games. this would open up more spots for DSL players as well.

With all the new emphasis on the international market, it makes some sense to add a team here in the states, and getting back into the Appalachian league would be a nice step.

It also wouldn’t hurt to have an affiliate in western VA in terms of market.  I know that even though I was an Orioles fan I followed the Pirates and Braves growing up because I saw those guys play in Manassas and Richmond when they were in the minors.  I actually snuck away from my homecoming date to watch Ron Gant and those guys in the playoffs ?

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Enjoy Terror said:

It would be nice to have another affiliate, but honestly, there's enough dreck on the DSL roster that fitting all of these new guys in won't be an issue. They've already begun cutting players from the DSL today.

Well there are two DSL teams now, and graduating DSL players must compete with one another, newly drafted players, AND last years HS draftees deemed not yet ready for Aberdeen for a spot on a single GCL roster. I think adding an Appalachian League team would be appropriate so long as they are going to have two DSL teams. Gives the talented 18-20 year-olds not ready for Aberdeen an additional landing spot.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Well there are two DSL teams now, and graduating DSL players must compete with one another, newly drafted players, AND last years HS draftees deemed not yet ready for Aberdeen for a spot on a single GCL roster. I think adding an Appalachian League team would be appropriate so long as they are going to have two DSL teams. Gives the talented 18-20 year-olds not ready for Aberdeen an additional landing spot.

I think there’s something to be said for taking your best 30 players to the GCL and forget the rest. Not everyone earns a shot.

We’d be in pretty small company (Pirates, Yankees) to have that many affiliates. Not unprecedented but definitely an exception.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/20/2019 at 1:27 PM, Greg Pappas said:

Great thread topic and I agree that adding a new Rookie-level affiliate makes sense.

This is all message board talk though, right? Don't get me wrong, in a land of unlimited resources, I'd want as many affiliates as possible. I just have a hard time seeing teams adding affiliates at this point.

37 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

Don't get me wrong, in a land of unlimited resources, I'd want as many affiliates as possible. I just have a hard time seeing teams adding affiliates at this point.

The Orioles added a second DSL affiliate literally this year.  Spending on the MLB team has decreased substantially and income has not decreased nearly as much, as most income is fixed year-to-year (tv contracts, revenue sharing, etc.). The Orioles certainly could afford to add another affiliate if they wanted to.

3 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

The Orioles added a second DSL affiliate literally this year.  Spending on the MLB team has decreased substantially and income has not decreased nearly as much, as most income is fixed year-to-year (tv contracts, revenue sharing, etc.). The Orioles certainly could afford to add another affiliate if they wanted to.

Ok, but adding another DSL affiliate is very different than going to a new town and setting up shop. If you told me they added another GCL team, I'd understand. Heck, that would be worth it, IMO. You could schedule your own affiliates against each other to build reps in addition to playing whatever league schedule they play.