Per Olney tweet, look for resolution in 48 hours

ChaosLex

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Perhaps the Orioles have started a clock ticking and have told Vlad their offer expires after 48 hours.

Whatever. If the Orioles get VG, they wind up taking at bats away from Reimold and Pie, pushing the date you can make a final decision on those guys further into the future...and for what? Does Guerrero make this team playoff contenders? Really? Other than giving the Prophet of the One True way the opportunity to move from 34,000 posts to 35,000, what is this thread about, exactly?

Is it possible that AM and Vladie are sitting in the warehouse wearing matching sweater vests, downing Gray Goose, and eating bean and rice tortillas prepared with love by Mama Guerrero and Andy is telling a minion to "Call Bowden and say it will be 72 more hours!" while they read this thread?

Yeah. I guess probably not.

That Angelos likes Vlad?
The Orioles have exceeded their desired payroll for 2011, though owner Peter Angelos has long admired Guerrero and it wouldn't be surprising if he approved of such a move at the right price

I can't help but notice the key words: "...at the right price."

Because, as many people have already stated, there is a limited amount of budget available to AM for all baseball related activities of the O's. This is a fact, not conjecture.

The more money he spends on an individual player, the less money is available for other things including, but not limited to, other free agent signings, contract extensions for existing players, draft signings, international signings, scouting, player development, facilities, etc. This is also a fact.

Even if the money for Vlad is coming from PA as some kind of "special dispensation" (in other words, its outside of the organizational budget already established) there is a limit to how much money is available or how often AM could hit up Angelos in that manner.

Bottom line is that AM absolutely has a finite amount of cash available to him and if he spends more money than he has to in order to sign Vlad, the organization will not have those dollars available to address some other need.

That's why AM cares whether Vlad wants a couple more million. It's why we should all care as well.

These are all good points, but my question was: "Why should AM care if Vlad wants a couple more million if no other team is willing to give it to him?"

AM obviously has no intention of paying him a couple extra million, so what difference does it make if that's closer to what Vlad was looking for? I would like to make more money for what I do as well(who wouldn't), but no one is knocking on my door with better offers. I've had offers in the past and was able to parlay that into a raise, but right now I don't. In this particular situation, I'm certain my boss isn't sitting at home thinking about increasing my pay.

He's an $ 18 fantasy DH. Drop $ 5.2 mil. in his lap w/no incentives.

Our offense could be sicker than sick if everyone clicks.

20+ HR power in the 2 through 7 slots. I'll take it please.

That's , Kakes , Lee , Reynolds , Vlad , Scott , and Jones I'm talking about. If Weiters and Reimold get it , then the sky is the limit.

At 4.5 million or whatever, Vlad isn't an absolute steal.

You have zero idea how that extra money you are advocating spending on him will effect the draft/international budget.

Would you rather give Vlad that extra few million or use that on amateur talent?

Pretty sad if a million added to a $90 million overall budget will be a backbreaker and cost us anything in regards to amateur talent. Pretty sad if it is an "either/or" scenario with a million...or two.

I know he said a couple million and you turned that into a few, but I would only advocate upping the offer by a million. That would be an action of good faith, and then if he still didn't take it oh well.

Archived