Is MacPhail Coming Back After the Season, and Do You Want Him To?

Greg Pappas

Is MacPhail Coming Back After the Season, and Do You Want Him To?  

119 members have voted

1. 1. Is MacPhail Coming Back After the Season, and Do You Want Him To?

• Yes, he’ll return, and Yes, I want him back.
    • Yes, he’ll return, and No, I don’t want him back.
    • No, he won’t return, and Yes, I want him back.
    • No, he won’t return, and No, I don't want him back.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Right. Be careful what you wish for, because MacPhail has had far more freedom and success than anyone else in the last 12 years. It seems highly unlikely that Peter Angelos, now in his mid-80s, would pick a really bright, young, up-and-comer with a truckload of new ideas.

That actually makes some sense, and seems kind of plausible. And might not be a bad idea.

Success in terms of what? wins ? hitting on free-agents ? He has been pathetic in both of those areas. Sure he made 1 very good trade 4 years ago but what else are your measuring him on that makes him successful?

I think he will return but I hope he doesn't. I've been supportive of MacPhail because I like a lot of what he says, I like his ideas and some of his theories of how to build an organization. I think he knows what needs to be done. But he hasn't executed for whatever reason, too conservative, Angelos, not enough baseball acumen, whatever. He's not the guy. He built us some credibility, time to go get the next person that can push us over the top.

I don't love this comparison, but we're kind of like a college basketball team that is normally a bottom dweller in a power conference. MacPhail has brought us some respectability in baseball, but this is probably his ceiling here (last place, but not as far back I guess). We need to bring in that next leader that can build from this more solid foundation.

I don't think he will come back if we finish more than 20 games out and don't win at least 76 games. No use repeating the reasons why he should not be back. It's easy to guess PA will bring him back but I'm not sure about that. With Cal Ripken in the background ready to become active with the team in another year or two I don't think AM will get an extension for more than one or two years if he does return.

I think AM is a very bright baseball person, but way too conservative for what this team needs. That's why PA hired him and why he's still around. That being said, I think Angelos will definitely offer him a new deal but it'll be up to MacPhail to accept or decline. At the end of the day, how much does it really matter who the GM is if he's handcuffed by the owner?

I think AM is a very bright baseball person, but way too conservative for what this team needs. That's why PA hired him and why he's still around. That being said, I think Angelos will definitely offer him a new deal but it'll be up to MacPhail to accept or decline. At the end of the day, how much does it really matter who the GM is if he's handcuffed by the owner?

The owner may handcuff him on the budget, but it's MacPhail's job to allocate that money and he's done it poorly.

MacPhail may also be bright, but he's heading toward Syd Thrift territory where what he knows no longer applies to the game. He's the oldest GM in the division and it shows.

The owner may handcuff him on the budget, but it's MacPhail's job to allocate that money and he's done it poorly.

MacPhail may also be bright, but he's heading toward Syd Thrift territory where what he knows no longer applies to the game. He's the oldest GM in the division and it shows.

My biggest concern is that we've never taken advantage of the 2 ways to make up ground in the AL East, through international signings and the amateur draft. Is that entirely on MacPhail? That's up for debate, but if you think all of the sudden PA is gonna start signing off on high priced free agents like Fielder or Reyes you are bound to be disappointed yet again my friend.

I really don't think a lot of people get it. PA is not going to hire the kind of young innovative GM type the OH fantisizes about. AM is not the best available GM, but he is by far the best your going to get as long as PA is the owner. And he's not that bad. Yes he is conservative, that''s why PA likes him. But he's a good baseball guy, and will eventually rebuild this team. The trouble is after 13 years of losing the fanbnase wants a wiz kid and a quick fix. Well, if there is such a wiz kid, PA isn't going to trust him/her, he's 80, for who ha's sake.

I really don't think a lot of people get it. PA is not going to hire the kind of young innovative GM type the OH fantisizes about. AM is not the best available GM, but he is by far the best your going to get as long as PA is the owner. And he's not that bad. Yes he is conservative, that''s why PA likes him. But he's a good baseball guy, and will eventually rebuild this team. The trouble is after 13 years of losing the fanbnase wants a wiz kid and a quick fix. Well, if there is such a wiz kid, PA isn't going to trust him/her, he's 80, for who ha's sake.

So apparently 4 years is a quick fix?

What's a long fix? 15 years? 20?

So apparently 4 years is a quick fix?

What's a long fix? 15 years? 20?

A quick fix would be 3-5 years and if you can name the GM who can do it I'll be amused. AM will take how long it take's him, but he will get the job done, and he's your only shot, so get over yourself.

A quick fix would be 3-5 years and if you can name the GM who can do it I'll be amused. AM will take how long it take's him, but he will get the job done, and he's your only shot, so get over yourself.

Dave Dombrowski with the Tigers.

MacPhail isn't our only shot. And he hasn't got the job done in 4 years in Baltimore nor did he get it done in Chicago.

As long as major league baseball continues to operate the way it has been, we are doomed as O's fans. We will never be able to compete with the Yankees and Redsox. We play the American League East 19 times each and the other divisions don't have to. Sad but true.

As long as major league baseball continues to operate the way it has been, we are doomed as O's fans. We will never be able to compete with the Yankees and Redsox. We play the American League East 19 times each and the other divisions don't have to. Sad but true.

I always hear Yankees and Red Sox, Yanks and Sox, but what about the fact that we haven't even beaten the 4th place Jays in Toronto since 2009! That is awful!!!!!

Dave Dombrowski with the Tigers.

MacPhail isn't our only shot. And he hasn't got the job done in 4 years in Baltimore nor did he get it done in Chicago.

You've presented no evidence that Peter Angelos is willing or able to pick a GM better than Andy MacPhail. You're continually asked to, but instead respond to the question "who is potentially a better GM than MacPhail."

Please, stop deflecting and answer the question. Who do you think Angelos will hire and trust and give power to who will be better than MacPhail?

Archived