6/22 at Pirates

Saintbird

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wish the Pirates would trade us McCutchen for Jones, straight up. Of course, they'd laugh us off the planet.

Statistically they are virtually the same player. Within points of each other and in most Jones has a slight advantage - Avg (Jones .295 - McC .291), HRs (Jones 11 - McC 10), RBI (Jones 43 - McC 37). Biggest difference is walks and that is decidedly in McCutcheon's favor.

Statistically they are virtually the same player. Within points of each other and in most Jones has a slight advantage - Avg (Jones .295 - McC .291), HRs (Jones 11 - McC 10), RBI (Jones 43 - McC 37). Biggest difference is walks and that is decidedly in McCutcheon's favor.

2011 WAR:

Jones 0.5

McCutchen 4.1

2011 WAR:

Jones 0.5

McCutchen 4.1

So much for a quick look at the easy stats!!

Given that everything except walks seems pretty close, is the effect of those 20 some extra walks on OBP or OPS that big of a difference maker? I know it's better, but that much?!

:mad: I want to say that it consistently allow week hitters, ie. Wood and McKenry, to have good at bats, then I remember our pitchers are hitting close to .500. Having said that, it is piss poor that you allow the bottom of a National League batting order to abuse you this way.

Given that everything except walks seems pretty close, is the effect of those 20 some extra walks on OBP or OPS that big of a difference maker? I know it's better, but that much?!

Their offensive WARs are pretty close.

McCutchen has an offensive WAR of 2.7.........Jones's is 2.1.

It's the defensive side that is really different.

McCutchen has a dWar of 1.4. Jones's is -1.6 .

On the surface that seems pretty harsh........saying that Jones has cost us about 1.5 games on defense compared to a replacement level CFer.....but that's what it says.

Their offensive WAR is actually pretty close: 2.1 for Jones, and 2.7 for McCutchen (if I'm remembering right from when I checked). But McCutchen has a 1.4 defensive WAR, while Jones's is negative.

So your analysis actually was pretty solid, based only on offense - they're similar but McCutchen has a slight edge, porbably because of walks.

Archived