Astros possibly moving to AL?

ChaosLex

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Per Buster Olney, this is provided Jim Crane purchases them.

Would another team (even the O's) be moved to the NL to replace them?

No, if a team moves to the AL then there will be 15 in each league. Right now its 14 in the AL and 16 in the NL. I guess they would have to move a team to keep each team even, but I can't see it being the Orioles.

That sort of stinks for the Astros, that team is a bit away from contending and now they switch to the big leagues.

I thought that the whole reason that Milwaukee moved to the NL when Tampa Bay and Arizona became expansion teams was so that each league could have one expansion team (with the owners in each league benefiting financially from such) and that each league would have an even number of teams. This would ensure that they each league did not have to schedule one team off each day. Of course they can do away with this problem by having inter-league games each day.

I think the Orioles and Nationals should switch places.

The Nationals seem to have the financial backing to spend with the Yankees and Red Sox.

Oh, you mean their $63 million payroll, right? You're right. That's able to compete with $202 and $161, respectively.

Oh, how about last year? $61.

Or 2009? $60.

Or 2008? $55.

No, the financial backing is irrelevant in this case. If the Nats would compete in the AL East, it'd have to be through pitching. They have a below average offense, with a slightly above average pitching staff. That's a .500 record in the NL East. But in the AL East?

AL East:

Yankees - 778 runs scored

Red Sox - 775 runs scored

Blue Jays - 676 runs scored

Rays - 603 runs scored

Orioles - 603 runs scored

Without the Orioles, you're talking about an average of 708 runs scored.

But what about the pitching?

Rays - 538 runs allowed

Yankees - 572 runs allowed

Red Sox - 616 runs allowed

Blue Jays - 675 runs allowed

Orioles - 754 runs allowed

Without the Orioles, that's an average of 600 runs allowed [average]. That's a split of 708-600.

How about the NL East?

Phillies - 643 runs scored

Mets - 636 runs scored

Braves - 586 runs scored

Nationals - 544 runs scored

Marlins - 558 runs scored

Without the Nationals, that's about 606 runs scored.

As for runs allowed?

Phillies - 456 runs allowed

Braves - 529 runs allowed

Nationals - 589 runs allowed

Marlins - 633 runs allowed

Mets - 650 runs allowed

Without the Nationals, that's about 567 runs allowed [average]. That's a divisional split of 606-567.

AL East: 708-600

NL East: 606-567

You're going to take the Nationals, and then put them in a division that spends ridiculously more, pitches about as well, and hits tremendously better than the NL East. Oh, and on top of that, put them in a league that hits better.

Average runs scored in AL: 633.

Average runs scored in NL: 592.

Average runs allowed in AL: 627

Average runs allowed in NL: 597

Truth be told, the Nationals pitching would do better than the O's (but then again, who wouldn't? We have the worst pitching in the majors). But their hitting would be anemic for the division. The Nationals would struggle to be a .500 team. I'd argue that they'd be better than the Orioles, but not by much.

Archived