Angelos interview in PressBox

FellsPointOsFan

But you have two independent variables here - a rabid fanbase AND a shiny, new, unique, beautiful stadium the likes of which have never been seen before.

To figure out exactly how rabid O's fans are you'd need to account for the effect of both.

Well, look at 2001 for example. The Orioles were stuck in their 4th consecutive year of losing and were in their 10th year at Camden Yards. They drew 3 million fans that year. You would think the new park effect would diminish at this point, no?

Now, look at Boston in 2001. They had just come off two playoff seasons in 1998 and 1999 and had winning seasons in both 2000 and 2001. They drew 2.6 million in 2001, playing to less than 100% capacity.

Even in 1998 and 1999, the playoff seasons for Boston, attendance was at 2.31 and 2.44 million fans respectively. The Orioles (albeit coming off two playoff years in 96 and 97) drew 3.7 million and 3.4 million fans in 98 and 99.

I am not trying to put down Boston fans. They are obviously a loyal and passionate bunch. I am just of the opinion that we have some great fans right here in our own backyard - probably every bit as good as the Boston fans. That Peter Angelos can lay any blame on our fans for not being as rabid as them is just really enfuriating to me as a fan of the team.

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That pretty well boils it down. You make a lot of hyperbolic posts, but this one's good.

I appreciate that. I think between the sweeping over-generalizations I tend to make and the sometimes too detailed analyses you tend toward, between the two of us the truth probably lies. I value your opinions because you tend to keep me in check when I shoot off at the mouth inferring and extrapolating things that aren't necessary so.

Well, look at 2001 for example. The Orioles were stuck in their 4th consecutive year of losing and were in their 10th year at Camden Yards. They drew 3 million fans that year. You would think the new park effect would diminish at this point, no?

Now, look at Boston in 2001. They had just come off two playoff seasons in 1998 and 1999 and had winning seasons in both 2000 and 2001. They drew 2.6 million in 2001, playing to less than 100% capacity.

Even in 1998 and 1999, the playoff seasons for Boston, attendance was at 2.31 and 2.44 million fans respectively. The Orioles (albeit coming off two playoff years in 96 and 97) drew 3.7 million and 3.4 million fans in 98 and 99.

I am not trying to put down Boston fans. They are obviously a loyal and passionate bunch. I am just of the opinion that we have some great fans right here in our own backyard - probably every bit as good as the Boston fans. That Peter Angelos can lay any blame on our fans for not being as rabid as them is just really enfuriating to me as a fan of the team.

Well, furthermore, having lived in both areas for years, I just don't see it as true. I lived in New England for years going to school with MANY MANY people from the Boston area. And until they started getting that wildcard spot just about every year I heard almost nothing about the Sox (or the Patriots for that matter). It was all Bruins at the time.

Now look at the Bruins attendance after a couple mediocre years. It's horrendous. From my own personal observations, I would definitely say Boston fans tend to be far more Bandwagon than anything else.

This could be the beginning of a beautiful relationship. And to think I was here to witness it. I just wanted to thank you both. Now I have to go get a hanky and dry my eyes. Once more. Thank you.
Next stop: world peace.
A Kumbaya moment for sure.:D

It gives one the urge to buy the world a Coke and keep it company.

For those of you whose childhood came after the 60s, enjoy the video

It's interesting that Angelos ties payroll to ticket prices. Let's go back just two years ago when ticket prices increased while payroll dropped.

BALTIMORE, Jan. 28 -- The Baltimore Orioles have raised season ticket prices at Oriole Park at Camden Yards -- a move critics will attribute to the team's big-spending ways this winter, but one that team officials say was a business decision based on market forces.

The increases, which are being conveyed to season ticket holders in a letter this week, range from 22.3 percent (from $35 to $45) for the choicest seats in the stadium -- the 6,000 box seats closest to the field between the bases -- to 9 percent (from $27 to $30) for terrace box seats.

Field box seats outside the bases rose from $35 to $40 (12.5 percent), club seats between the bases rose from $40 to $45 (11.2 percent), and bleacher seats rose from $13 to $15 (13.4 percent). All upper-deck seats remained the same price.

However, team officials say the ticket increases are unrelated to the spending, pointing out the team's projected 2004 payroll of $55 million actually will be about $10 million lower than last year's.
Source - Washington Post, Jan 29, 2004

Well, I avoided this thread because I knew the accusations of "vile treachery" as drungo put would be everywhere, but RZ prompted me.

I thought the interview was quite good. I think PA is much more candid than many people give him credit for. Acknowledging the losing, the poor past GMs, hints at the bad drafting, etc.

It's surely been a rotten run the past 9 seasons.

I don't know if this was brought up in this thread but I'm going to say it anyways because I'm too lazy to read through 12 pages of posts.

My father is a traitor and got rid of his Orioles season tickets 2 years ago and bought Nationals season tickets. Games such as those versus Red Sox and Yankees were designated "Premium Games" and ticket prices for those games were more expensive.

Why hasn't Peter done something like that? At least suck the money out of those soulless bandwagoners.

Well, I avoided this thread because I knew the accusations of "vile treachery" as drungo put would be everywhere, but RZ prompted me.

I wouldn't call it "vile treachery". That gives it too much credit as if he were actually half as clever as he apparently thinks he is. I think "bald-faced, insultingly obvious" lying is a more apt description.

I thought the interview was quite good. I think PA is much more candid than many people give him credit for. Acknowledging the losing, the poor past GMs, hints at the bad drafting, etc.

.....without acknowledging who is ultimately responsible and at the same time implying that the fans are somehow part of the problem while he pines away hoping for "great" fans like Baaaaaston has. F him and the ambulance he rode in on. He is a bloodsucking, deceitful scoundrel. And before anyone chastises me for being so insulting towards someone I don't know, let me point out that I know when I am being lied to and I don't like it. That's when it gets personal.

It's surely been a rotten run the past 9 seasons.

Well at least we can agree on that.

The idea that our attendance during the '90's was strictly that of the new ballpark bump is a complete joke. Yes, did it help, sure. But what really helped were the winning teams that were put on the field. But come on, look at the pathetic attendance at Pittsburgh or Milwaukee. It's winning people, plain and simple. If for some strange reason PA actually spends the MASN money and puts a quality product out on the field next year, we'll all be there hootin' and hollerin'. At the end of the day, you don't root for the owner, you root for the team and the players.

Now, for those of you defend Mr. Angelos, the fact that our most celebrated stars of yesteryear want nothing to do with this team tells you all you need to know. I had the honor of meeting Brooks about 3 years ago at a conference. And, btw, one of the nicest guys you will ever meet. He was speaking at the conference and me some of my colleagues were able to chat with him for about 15 minutes before he went on. I don't want to put words in his mouth as it has been over three years since I met him. But let's just say he didn't have too many kind words for PA.

Now, for those of you defend Mr. Angelos, the fact that our most celebrated stars of yesteryear want nothing to do with this team tells you all you need to know. I had the honor of meeting Brooks about 3 years ago at a conference. And, btw, one of the nicest guys you will ever meet. He was speaking at the conference and me some of my colleagues were able to chat with him for about 15 minutes before he went on. I don't want to put words in his mouth as it has been over three years since I met him. But let's just say he didn't have too many kind words for PA.

Hopefully all will be smoothed over with those Orioles heroes of the past at the 40th anniversary celebration of the 1966 World Champions. With 4 home games left, it has to happening soon, right?

Hopefully all will be smoothed over with those Orioles heroes of the past at the 40th anniversary celebration of the 1966 World Champions. With 4 home games left, it has to happening soon, right?
Is this a joke, or is there really supposed to be some kind of tribute? If there isn't, that's pretty dumb.

The idea that our attendance during the '90's was strictly that of the new ballpark bump is a complete joke. Yes, did it help, sure. But what really helped were the winning teams that were put on the field. But come on, look at the pathetic attendance at Pittsburgh or Milwaukee. It's winning people, plain and simple. If for some strange reason PA actually spends the MASN money and puts a quality product out on the field next year, we'll all be there hootin' and hollerin'. At the end of the day, you don't root for the owner, you root for the team and the players.

Because it is all about him. That is why he chased away Brother Lo, Jon Miller, Davey, etc......... It is his team. He wants his fair share of attention. If he doesn't get it, he will take his ball and go home. If you get too much attention, he will show you who is boss. It is his way or the highway, regardless of whether your way is a shortcut with a destination and his is a mindless off-road trip without a map or a destination. Remember, he is the genius. He knows this stupid baseball business better than the peons that have spent decades in it. He had it all figured out a week after he bought the team because he is sooooo much smarter than the rest of us. And just look at his record.:rolleyes:

And running Brooks out of the franchise is like running Bambi out of the forest.

Archived