Updated: Orioles acquire Taylor Teagarden

Sports Guy

With Teagarden here, Joseph is fairly expendable, IMO.

Practically speaking, yes, but I still am holding out some slice of hope that Joseph can improve his strength and conditioning a little and hold up for a full season without the extended slumps.

And Teagarden will be arb-eligible next season.

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Practically speaking, yes, but I still am holding out some slice of hope that Joseph can improve his strength and conditioning a little and hold up for a full season without the extended slumps.

And Teagarden will be arb-eligible next season.

And see, I was absolutely certain that it was our rule 5 pick. What do I know. I am saddened that our biggest aquistion is not even going to reach 30 pages.

A rival executive claims that the Orioles gave up one of their top three young arms in the farm system when they traded Randy Henry and a player to be named later to the Rangers for backup catcher Taylor Teagarden. A former executive noted that the league is filled with guys like Teagarden, and there was no reason for the Orioles to part with Henry.

http://www.masnsports.com/school_of_roch/2011/12/day-one-in-dallas.html

:confused:...Go O's!!!

A rival executive claims that the Orioles gave up one of their top three young arms in the farm system when they traded Randy Henry and a player to be named later to the Rangers for backup catcher Taylor Teagarden. A former executive noted that the league is filled with guys like Teagarden' date=' and there was no reason for the Orioles to part with Henry.[/b']

Good to know SG made it to Dallas safely. :D

Top 3 is bologna...

A rival executive claims that the Orioles gave up one of their top three young arms in the farm system when they traded Randy Henry and a player to be named later to the Rangers for backup catcher Taylor Teagarden. A former executive noted that the league is filled with guys like Teagarden' date=' and there was no reason for the Orioles to part with Henry.[/b']

Just goes to show you that the O's aren't the only team who has executives that don't know much about player evaluation. If Henry was truly a top 3 arm in the system we'd be even more doomed.

Sent from my Nocturnal E3D using Tapatalk

Just goes to show you that the O's aren't the only team who has executives that don't know much about player evaluation. If Henry was truly a top 3 arm in the system we'd be even more doomed.

Sent from my Nocturnal E3D using Tapatalk

Henry could turn into a great pitcher. So could Brett Jacobson. Or Pedro Beato. Sometime you lose on pitching prospect. Because there ain't none. Alchemy I tell you.

If everyone had the same opinion of talent, there wouldn't be many trades. Some trades are made purely for strategic reasons, but a lot are fueled by differing opinions about players' futures. We will see just how sharp the O's brass is over the next few years, and it won't always be obvious on the day of the trade.

If Randy Henry turns into a plus major league reliever, and Teagarden is mediocre as the back-up C, the O's will look foolish. But I'm not going to worry about one exec's opinon.

If he's one of the top three arms in the system maybe someone can explain why he's a consensus 15, 20, 25-level prospect in a below-average farm system, behind eight or ten other pitchers? If a guy who's basically a middle reliever in the low minors, what would that say about the O's farm system?

If the O's valued him that high, it's a stupid trade. My support hinges on the idea that he really isn't much more than a dime a dozen arm, unfortunately.

Bundy, Bridwell, Bundy, Klein, Wright, Rodriguez, Simon, Drake and Tim Berry rated higher on Tony's list.

I just wanted to go on the record and say that I think Teagarden could be this season's Hardy if he get's 300+ ABs.

Either this is one of those predictions you make so in the 0.01% chance you are right you can look like a prophet (and in the 99.99% chance you are wrong, nobody remembers), then sure, but if you really think there is a good chance Teagarden turns into something resembling what Hardy gave us you are in for a wake-up call.

Overall, we gave up a little less for Teagarden then we gave up for Hardy, but we gave up next to nothing for Hardy so to get a comparable amount back for what we paid for Teagarden would be quite difficult.

I just wanted to go on the record and say that I think Teagarden could be this season's Hardy if he get's 300+ ABs.

I'm not even sure what that means, since Hardy had good years prior to 2011 while Teagarden once had a good two or three weeks. If you mean he's a good bet to bounch back to his 2009 form, well, sure.

Archived