Updated: Orioles acquire Taylor Teagarden

Sports Guy

May trading Randy Henry for Taylor Teagarden be the worst of DD's crimes over the next three years.

23 pages and counting.... The Winter Meetings can't begin soon enough.

Amen, brother! It's done. It isn't some great sin to trade for a guy you have faith in, that you feel will be GOOD for the organization, that you have decided is the best fit. I truly hope Teagarden turns out to be a terrific catcher for us and that some of the doom and gloomers will come out and say, "I was wrong." I don't want to hear, "I'll gladly eat crow," because that is the fall back option for everyone who wants to be able to talk crap at will. I just want to see "I was wrong."

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Amen, brother! It's done. It isn't some great sin to trade for a guy you have faith in, that you feel will be GOOD for the organization, that you have decided is the best fit. I truly hope Teagarden turns out to be a terrific catcher for us and that some of the doom and gloomers will come out and say, "I was wrong." I don't want to hear, "I'll gladly eat crow," because that is the fall back option for everyone who wants to be able to talk crap at will. I just want to see "I was wrong."

I don't care if TT gives us very good defense and a 750 OPS in his 130 at bats this year...That doesn't take away from my belief of this being a poor trade when it occurred...besides, this is a trade that needs to be looked at in a few years, not 9 months from now.

I was against the Vlad signing...and had he given us 20 homers and an 800 OPS, I still wouldn't have liked it.

I don't care if TT gives us very good defense and a 750 OPS in his 130 at bats this year...That doesn't take away from my belief of this being a poor trade when it occurred.

I was against the Vlad signing...and had he given us 20 homers and an 800 OPS, I still wouldn't have liked it.

So...you're saying you are against the trade?

The point is that, by definition, there are replacement-level (0 WAR) players available for nothing. And even if Teagarden is a 2 WAR player, as a backup catcher he might accrue 0.5 WAR. Might.

So why would a rebuilding team give up a C prospect (who, by the way, was a fourth round overslot pick, since Teagarden's pedigree has been referenced as well) for a half a win improvement in the standings?

Not that this means much, but Henry wasn't an overslot pick. He was a slot pick whose agent did a good job of taking advantage of the O's having too many high picks and overslot picks going to the wire. He got an extra $100k because the O's had to get some of the workload off the plate. He was a 4th round pick; it'd take some tedious digging to find out if he got more money than any 3rd round pick who signed.

Meanwhile, the O's gave their true over slot picks Berry (9th round), Ohlman (11th round), and Coffey (22nd round) more than they gave Henry.

I don't care if TT gives us very good defense and a 750 OPS in his 130 at bats this year...That doesn't take away from my belief of this being a poor trade when it occurred...besides, this is a trade that needs to be looked at in a few years, not 9 months from now.

Ok and thats all that had to be said, not 24 pages. At most this is a minor trade that could pay HUGE dividends to us. We gave up a Single A reliever for a superb defensive catcher.

Randy Henry is easily replaceable. I dont understand.

Ok and thats all that had to be said, not 24 pages. At most this is a minor trade that could pay HUGE dividends to us. We gave up a Single A reliever for a superb defensive catcher.

Randy Henry is easily replaceable. I dont understand.

If you don't understand his point after 360 posts, that's not on SG. I disagree with him, mostly because I think he's being a little bit fooled by nice looking stats at high A, rather than any real reports of stuff, but his point is well articulated and clearly understandable.

We gave up too muchfor a backup catcher...Should have been a PTBNL only ...Its actually will cost us Henry, Viola, and a PTBNL

No matter who they signed to be the backup catcher and how they acquired said backup catcher, the backup catcher has to be put on the 40-man roster at some point. If Viola was the next to get DFA'd, then it was going to happen whether this trade happened or not.

Archived