I miss MacPhail

theobird

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think it's good what duquette has done for the organization's infrastructure. I don't think AM would have done these things and he was philosophically opposed to international signings. Duquette is much better.

To be fair, that's an overstatement of what he was opposed to doing. For what it's worth, the early results tend to say international scouting and signings improved under MacPhail.

Jonathan Schoop

Gabriel Lino

Eduardo Rodriguez

and of course there was Koji.

The DSL Orioles (mostly non-prospects) were 46-24 last summer.

http://thebaseballdigest.wordpress.com/2011/08/26/orioles-sign-victorian-schoolboy-at-mlbaap/

To be fair, that's an overstatement of what he was opposed to doing. For what it's worth, the early results tend to say international scouting and signings improved under MacPhail.

Jonathan Schoop

Gabriel Lino

Eduardo Rodriguez

and of course there was Koji.

The DSL Orioles (mostly non-prospects) were 46-24 last summer.

http://thebaseballdigest.wordpress.com/2011/08/26/orioles-sign-victorian-schoolboy-at-mlbaap/

Perhaps that was too strongly worded. I should have said big money international signings.

Does anyone really know what AM would have done this off season? I definitely don't think we'd see the changes in the scouting department. Whether those changes are good or bad remain to be seen. As far as FA signings and trades I just can't imagine a whole lot more being done so far. And just because someone might have done more doesn't mean it necessarily would have been a good thing.

I feel pretty good in saying AM doesn't make the Eveland and TT trades.

It almost seems like people want Duquette to make moves just for the sake of giving us something concrete to talk about. More specifically, it seems that a majority of posters on this forum want to see Duquette take one of two paths--either "blow it up" and trade away everything that is not nailed to the floor, or "go all in" and spend huge on free agents. Duquette has clearly opted for another route, that looks to improve the infrastructure of the franchise--scouting, player development, international presence--while waiting to see how the current core of the team comes together.

FWIW, I expect that Duquette will realize by about June of 2012 that the team as currently assembled cannot compete in the AL East. Then during July we will really see a lot of trades being made, as the club will look to augment the prospects it currently has in the minors with the hopes that they will form a competitive core by the year 2015 or so.

Archived