Is Angelos quietly shopping the Orioles?

SammyBirdland

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Man...I didn't think it could be possible but if this news is true, and Angelos is going to sell the O's independent of MASN, he could really screw this franchise and cloud up the future even more than it is now.

I definitely would take the future where Angelos sells the O's and keeps MASN over him keeping both, but it could really turn out to be a disaster.

Couldn't the new owner, say Mark Cuban, start his own sports network just like he did with HDNet? Then, just let the Orioles/MASN agreement run out and kick the new TV contract over to the new network? then Angelos would be left holding the bag on a minimally valued sports network?

Leonsis might even be worse than Angelos. No thanks.

I don't think that's possible. Leonsis' teams have had some success. Angelos took a team sold out every game, could afford the highest payroll in baseball, added an RSN that also controlled the TV rights of one of his competitors, and somehow turned that into an abysmal failure and laughingstock.

Leonsis might even be worse than Angelos. No thanks.

Lol. This is exactly the opposite of how I feel. Leonsis's ownership style is tailor made for MLB. He's a strong-org guy who likes to add as much young talent as possible. His teams scout well and he's not afraid to spend some coin. He would be ideal, with the right group of investors around him.

The good thing/problem with Leonsis is that he knows nothing about sports, so he lets his hockey/basketball people do their jobs. That's usually a good thing, but his two GM's, Ernie Grunfeld and George McPhee have never won a thing, yet Ted is unbelievably loyal to them. The Wizards are being run into the ground, and the bottom is now falling out from under the Caps. He'll go through coaches once his GM suggests a firing should be made, but he's never fired a GM.

I don't think that's possible. Leonsis' teams have had some success. Angelos took a team sold out every game, could afford the highest payroll in baseball, added an RSN that also controlled the TV rights of one of his competitors, and somehow turned that into an abysmal failure and laughingstock.

There was an article (I believe in the WashPo) where Leonsis admitted to losing $100million during his tenure as a minority owner of the Wiz, before taking the controlling interest after Polin passed. He then stated (paraphrasing) that it's a civic duty to spend to put the best team on the field. Wizards were very bad before he took over. I think their future is bright based on the Capitals.

He also stated how MASN was making a lot of money and that owning the RSN is way better than simply being paid by one. So he wouldn't be buying the O's without MASN. He has publicly stated he really wants his own RSN. If he got MASN he could put the Wizards/Caps on it which would make for decent synergy with the increasing amount of Nats fans that are going to be created from a team that actually cares about winning.

I've linked to this article I think in the past here, but don't feel like finding it at the moment.

I can't see any competent business man buying the O's without MASN. It just would boggle the mind. I mean we get $29 million in rights fees now. We have bottom of the barrel TV ratings. I'm not sure we'd get $75 million a year like the Padres are supposedly about to get. And we wouldn't get the 9-digit and up ones of Texas, Dodgers, etc.

So by having a new ownership sans-MASN and the non TV rights profits, we'd have to all hope we get a Tampa Bay like management team in place. But with the changes to the CBA and the caps on draft and international, that whole type of model is going to become so much more complex. The big spenders in free agency will thrive under the new CBA. And without MASN we don't stand a chance there.

Or we stand the same chance we have now basically with our current cheapskate and incompetent owner.

Best case scenario is Angelos sells the O's with MASN. Otherwise, even for the most pro-Angelos person, he becomes an immense hypocrite as he himself stated MASN was to be used to level the playing field financially.

If he sells the team and leaves the next ownership group without that "Playing Field Leveler" it'll be him sticking that knife deeper into the back of the few fans who support this team.

Lol. This is exactly the opposite of how I feel. Leonsis's ownership style is tailor made for MLB. He's a strong-org guy who likes to add as much young talent as possible. His teams scout well and he's not afraid to spend some coin. He would be ideal, with the right group of investors around him.

Leonisis is the worst. He is an egomaniac and actually choked a fan. He isn't a strong Org guy. The caps farm is almost completely barren right now. Besides the guy from russia they have nothing. Bruce Bodreau saved the Caps. Incredible coach. They were worst team before he got here and I believe that is their destination now that he is gone.

Leonsis has never changed GM's. The Wizards are terrible and so are the Caps. Yet you have to listen to him all the time as he demands constant attention.

Leonisis is the worst. He is an egomaniac and actually choked a fan. He isn't a strong Org guy. The caps farm is almost completely barren right now. Besides the guy from russia they have nothing. Bruce Bodreau saved the Caps. Incredible coach. They were worst team before he got here and I believe that is their destination now that he is gone.

Leonsis has never changed GM's. The Wizards are terrible and so are the Caps. Yet you have to listen to him all the time as he demands constant attention.

Is there anyone you don't dislike? I mean besides Boudreau.

Hah, good summary there. It's time for Angelos to sell; he doesn't deserve to own a proud franchise like the Orioles. #freethebirds

Archived