ESPN mag says orioles will....

SilentJames

And the Orioles have mailed it in the last two years? This is not the same team from 2005.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Jc3GinrTEqE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

They did nothing through the mail.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ESPN the mag is still around?

I think they're still on that insane policy where anyone who signs up for ESPN+ or whatever they call it gets a subscription to their version of Entertainment Weekly. C'mon, there has to be something for 18-year-old guys to read when they're in the waiting room prior to their latest shot of penicillin. As much as they want to read the Cosmo with the "18 tricks every guy loves in bed" tagline on the cover they can't risk being seen with it.

It is foolish to think that a 69 win team that didn't lose much will at most win 69 games.

Of course it is. But you can't really blame the folks who've been trained to expect the O's to undershoot the worst case scenario for going on a generation.

I agree. I'd probably set the over/under at 60 wins.

I really just don't believe in the young pitching anymore and I'm not really that excited about the hitting. Duke made a lot of solid moves (and IMO one truly terrible one) but there's a lot of AAAA and otherwise unexciting talent on the team and really, if I'm the Yankees, the Red Sox, the Rays, I'm not worried about facing Hunter/Arrieta/Chen/Hammel/Matusz, or any other permutation of five starters we can come up with. I think Markakis is going to have a brutal year.

But that being said I've been wrong lots of times and I like watching winning baseball so, bite me, ESPN the Ragazine. GO O'S.

They didn't add much either and every other team got better.

I'm assuming we are going to lose 3 pitchers from our opening day rotation which is already full of question marks. After that, we have depth like a big bucket of poo.

This year could be an outright disaster. But that's why we watch. To see if our team will limp to another win total in the 60s or will they reach the almighty "81".

I just don't see how this team could be expected to be the worst Orioles team of the past 15 years. Sure, it's possible that everything goes wrong and half the team ends up on the DL and Adam Jones gets glaucoma and hits .122. But it's just as likely the pitching gets half a run a game better, the offense is in the same ballpark as last year, and they win 78. I just don't see how the mid-case is more than a few wins off of last year. 60 wins seems not just pessimistic, but pessimistic with an agenda.

Saying best case scenario is winning less than 70 games is pretty moronic.

Agreed. I have no problem if someone thinks the most likely scenario is that the O's win 65ish games, but to say the "best case" is 69 is absurd.

Vegas has the Orioles in the 70-71 range and BP's PECOTA-based projections have them at 73 wins. I can respect someone who is more pessimistic than that, but it seems clear that a "best case" has to be somewhere in the 70s at least.

ESPN the mag is still around?

Well once they allocate the Red Sox and Yankees 105 wins each there are not many left to go around in the AL East.

It is foolish to think that a 69 win team that didn't lose much will at most win 69 games.

They lost their best starter and their second best starter is injured. And this is from a team that didn't have anything past the top two starters last year. So yes things look bleak.

Archived