Tommy Hunter Tonight

OFFNY

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

TOMMY HUNTER O(vs. AAA-Scranton Yankees 6/02)

IP:. 7 (COMPLETE GAME) *

H:o 6

R:O 1

BB: 1

SO: 1

Pitches: 85 (56 Strikes, 29 Balls)

2012 ERA: 1.29 (AAA-Norfolk)

* This was a 7-inning game, as the Tides were playing a doubleheader today.

T IDES SWEEP YANKEES: http://www.milb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120602&content_id=32664274&vkey=news_t568&fext=.jsp&sid=t568

With Gonzo Part II having pitched 4 innings yesterday, and Eveland having gone 3 innings today, the net below Hunter tomorrow is considerably weaker than it looked to be yesterday afternoon, also.

Hunter must be thrilled to know he is the pitcher of last resort.

At this point, I think that he's happy just to be back in the majors and given another chance to start again, for whatever reason. You know the old saying, "Beggars can't be choosers."

He might give up some runs, but he'll eat some innings too. He has a knack for that. Jake go down and work with Peterson and get your mind right. Tommy will hold down the fort in Balmer for a while. We scored 6 tonight, I feel Hunter can win if we score 6 tomorrow. ;)

A spot start for Hunter

For me, Hunter is only getting today's 4 pm start because he is the only one rested enough to pitch it. He hasn't earned a promotion. So if he pitches well, he gets another start. If he doesn't he goes back to Norfolk to work on his command.

Opportunity knocks for Hunter but I am not highly optimistic about his chance to succeed. He hasn't had time to work on the things he needs to fix to be a consistent starter.

Good Luck Tommy. I would like to be surprised.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Last years I posted about the PARS list. StS is another prospect ranking system that they use lots of different advanced stats. These 2 just joined together and did the Avengers thing and came up with a combined list using their criteria. Its probably a lot more valid than subjective rankings done because of draft status and “what you think”. That said, it’s also based off of a SSS of stats, so there is only so much to take from it. I do know both of these systems liked Povich last year too.
    • When you have multiple seasons where you pitch around 180 innings and pitch to a 4ish ERA, I’m guessing you have stretches where you look pretty dominant. Zero surprising about anything he’s doing. It would be surprising if he did it for a full season but not a 4-7 start stretch.
    • They don't let stuff on the internet unless it's been thoroughly vetted.
    • Let's talk a little about about how good Cano has been for the Orioles this year. He was fired up last night in his first true save opportunity this year. Here's his percentiles on the year so far. Notice his AVG exit velocity may be low, but the fact that he's the best in the league with getting ground balls (72.2 %, 100 percentile) makes most of those ground ball outs. But here in lies the problem with him closing. We lose him as a weapon coming into tight jams in the 7th or 8th to get those double plays. I have no doubt Cano can be a closer even though he had some struggles last year when given the role after Bautista's injury.  It's worth noting that he's averaging about a MPH slower than last year in his sinker, but getting more movement. There are only 8 pitchers this season who have thrown 50 or more changeup and averaged over 90 MPH. Cano has the most vertical movement and 3rd best % Break vs AVG at 10% better than the average changeup at his velocity +/- 2 mph. Since this is a Cano thread, I won't go into who should close instead of Cano, but for now, I expect the Orioles to use him and Coulombe to close out games depending on who is available.  Imagine the uproar that would have occurred if the Orioles had traded Jorge Lopez straight up for Cano. Instead, not only did Elias get a much better reliever in Cano, he also got the best pitching prospects in the system currently in Cade Povich.  Oh, and Juan Nunez is still at least interesting in Aberdeen topping out around 97-98 at times. 
    • That's an interesting point of view, that baseball needs more offense. The all-time MLB average runs/game is about 4.7, but that includes a bunch of very early seasons with 6, 8, 10+ runs/game. Since 1900 (and also since WWII) the average is about 4.4 runs/game. So far this year the Majors are averaging 4.34, and as the weather warms up it will almost certainly nudge up towards 4.5 or 4.6. Since 2016 every season has been at or above the post-1900 averages for runs scored per game. Even at the height of the PED era runs were only over 5.00 three times, and never more than the 5.14 of 2000. I think that increasing walks to 2024 IL levels would put the majors right around the 2000 runs scored level, if not a bit more.
    • Pitching well/career norms is one thing.  Pitching like this is another thing to wrestle with.
    • Where you go matters. I don’t have any reason to think Arizona’s development system isn’t good. They have clearly developed good players. But who is to say Jones wouldn’t be doing better with us?     I think Elias made the right choice and felt it at the time. Holliday was the only other player I felt should be taken at 1 unless they felt they could unlock whatever plagued Elijah Green. His talent was 1st pick worthy but so many question marks. Still, had the Os taken green, I would have trusted that they saw something easy to fix. But after hearing Elias explain why they took Holliday, it made perfect sense. Still, I don’t think Jones failing means it’s a slam dunk Holliday will be better. Jones is still young and he started off his career with some injury issues, so that put him behind. And maybe if he’s drafted here, we do a better job at developing him. Who knows? Doesnt matter, we have the guy that is likely the better player and that’s all that matters.
  • Popular Contributors