Jonthan Mayo has the O's taking Gausman as well

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120516&content_id=31456550&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb&tcid=tw_article_31456550

1. Houston Astros: Mark Appel, RHP, Stanford

2. Minnesota Twins: Byron Buxton, OF, Appling County HS (Ga.)

3. Seattle Mariners: Mike Zunino, C, Florida

4. Baltimore Orioles: Kevin Gausman, RHP, Louisiana State

There's a new general manager and new scouting director in Baltimore, so it's more difficult to predict what the Orioles will do based on their history. Any of the players associated with the Astros could come into play and they could take whomever they think is the best college pitcher available, with Appel, Gausman or Zimmer being the choices.

Take these mocks with a grain of salt. This year is very fluid because there is little to no separation between players, and the media has to guess at what HOU and BAL are going to do. You might as well pick a name out of a hat until the first week in June when info starts leaking out.

Take these mocks with a grain of salt. This year is very fluid because there is little to no separation between players, and the media has to guess at what HOU and BAL are going to do. You might as well pick a name out of a hat until the first week in June when info starts leaking out.

I agree though it does seem that the Top 4 or 5 are pretty much set. At least all of the mocks I see are pretty much the same at the top

I agree though it does seem that the Top 4 or 5 are pretty much set. At least all of the mocks I see are pretty much the same at the top

I wouldn't count on that. The top 7-8 players are SO close together talent wise that I'm willing to bet money what they think is going to go 1-4 doesn't happen. This next month is when you start to see the most movement on boards. It just seems like it's locked because the media doesn't know any better yet...give them a couple weeks.

• 3 weeks later...

last offering from Mayo

1. Houston Astros: Mark Appel, RHP, Stanford

His name has appeared in this spot since the projections began and there was no certain news that would justify straying from the choice.

2. Minnesota Twins: Byron Buxton, OF, Appling County HS (Ga.)

If Buxton goes No. 1, the Twins may take a look at Puerto Rico high school shortstop Carlos Correa.

3. Seattle Mariners: Mike Zunino, C, Florida

The talk about Zunino sliding has never subsided, with Correa and then Oklahoma State lefty Andrew Heaney coming into play. But Zunino remains.

4. Baltimore Orioles: Kevin Gausman, RHP, LSU

The thinking is still that the Orioles will go with the best college pitcher available. If Appel doesn't go No. 1, could he land here?

5. Kansas City Royals: Kyle Zimmer, RHP, San Francisco

There was some talk of a Zimmer slide, but it appears that doubts have been answered. The Royals still could go for a high school pitcher with Max Fried or switch gears and take Correa.

6. Chicago Cubs: Albert Almora, OF, Mater Academy (Fla.)

It's been Fried, Correa and Almora in this spot and there could be interest in all three, but we'll stick with the initial projection here.

7. San Diego Padres: Carlos Correa, SS, Puerto Rico Baseball Academy

If Zimmer falls to here, he could come into play, but it could come down to Correa vs. Fried, with the high-ceiling infielder likely coming off the board.

Archived