What was MASN thinking during Roberts' first at bat?

Frobby

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have had the MLB package for years and I don't think I have seen any team's network put on a worse broadcast than MASN. They consistently miss the little things during games, frequently miss key replay moments, the pitch tracker is so inaccurate it's laughable. I really think MASN produces the worst coverage in baseball.

As bad as Hunter and Dempsey are (especially together), that wasn't their doing. I didn't even notice if that goofy keys segment was sponsored tonight but either way it looks like the MASN production crew didn't even consider what a big moment Brian's first AB was and just followed their standard template.

Definitely a missed opportunity. I was shocked. I was actually expecting the opposite - an over-the-top production leading up to the big moment (complete with Hunter being reduced to tears).

As bad as Hunter and Dempsey are (especially together), that wasn't their doing. I didn't even notice if that goofy keys segment was sponsored tonight but either way it looks like the MASN production crew didn't even consider what a big moment Brian's first AB was and just followed their standard template.

Definitely a missed opportunity. I was shocked. I was actually expecting the opposite - an over-the-top production leading up to the big moment (complete with Hunter being reduced to tears).

Yes, shocked is the right word. Especially considering that MASN had us "listen in" on the crowds ovation for Jonesy the day he signed the extension.

Did it not occur to MASN that we might like to hear BRob's name being called over the loudspeaker? That we might want to see him walking up to the plate for the first time? That we might like to see the crowd give him an ovation? Did they really think we cared about the three stupid keys to Brad Lincoln? Do they have no common sense at all?

I could not agree more. I said everything you just wrote out loud while it was happening. Very weird.

True, MASN should know better.
Why? They are dumb enough to put Dempsey and Hunter in the booth in the first place. Why expect them to have the sense to focus on BRob his first game back. What kind of story is that? Much better to listen to Mutt and Jeff yammer about niothing, than to listen to the applause. :rolleyestf::rolleyestf::rolleyestf:

I can't believe that they had Dempsey and Hunter announcing this of all games. I had been looking forward to the moment he came up for a while now, and it was almost totally ignored.

I feel kind of robbed.

But hey, at the same time, when he goes 3-4 with a tear jerker of a soft hug from Andino after the game... I can't really complain. Would you rather have had a nice moment at the beginning of the game, then had Brian go 0-4?

The stupid "keys" thing is stupid anyway. I don't care who does it.

I wonder if the radio broadcast did a better job with Roberts' return. I don't wonder. They must have. But I will cue up the archive and enjoy the moment that way.

Conversely, Joe Angle did a great job on the radio broadcast. He stopped talking so that you could hear the crowd and his call for the hit could have been that for a game winning hit. Joe Angle really is a pleasure to listen to.

What a shame that they didn't give everyone at home a chance to enjoy Brian's return to Camden Yards. I got teary just reading a few things on Twitter and I can't even imagine what it must have been like in person.

I'm so happy that he's back, that he had a great night, and that the Orioles won the game which not only helped their own standings but also helped my Reds by giving them sole possession of first place again. Good night all the way around for me! LOL :laughlol:

What a shame that they didn't give everyone at home a chance to enjoy Brian's return to Camden Yards. I got teary just reading a few things on Twitter and I can't even imagine what it must have been like in person.

I'm so happy that he's back, that he had a great night, and that the Orioles won the game which not only helped their own standings but also helped my Reds by giving them sole possession of first place again. Good night all the way around for me! LOL :laughlol:

Care to share? :)

This is really disappointing to hear, but I can't say I'm shocked. I was there and it was a great moment in person. I have a picture from row 12 near the Birds dugout as B-Rob arrived at the plate but not sure how to post it. Great night (except for you know who in the 9th).

Care to share? :)

Pardon my fangirlness ;) but the one that got it started was from Roch (I think) and all it said was, "Standing ovation for Roberts as he comes to bat". Just sounded so great! :) And then a few of the national MLB guys were making comments throughout the night about what a great story Brian's recovery is and how happy they were for him. It was just really nice to read and since Brian is the main reason I'm an Orioles fan, I'm especially happy that he's back during a great time where the O's are winning. How cool is that?! :D

Archived