What was MASN thinking during Roberts' first at bat?

Frobby

If I'm running MASN and have an interest in building up the Oriole brand, I'm promoting the heck out of its more marketable players, regardless of what they wish. Thus I really doubt BRob made such a request. I'd say that considering how close his career was to being over, he'd appreciate the attention for his achievement.

I agree with you. Just trying to think of any explanation other than incompetence.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
These are my thoughts, exactly. I am much happier that he found early success than I am upset by any missing camera shots, etc.

Some of us are just frustrated with MASN's incompetence. And possibly we fear that that incompetence could hold back the potential profitability of MASN and in turn decreases its ability to boost the Oriole payroll. You think if Derek Jeter/Dustin Pedroia had been on the DL for a year that YES/NESN wouldn't have milked the wiz out of their return?

Angel did a good job on the radio. Sorry I don't have a clip, but he basically just said "Let's listen to the ovation for Brian Roberts" and then - other announcers take note - WAS QUIET for a few seconds.

After Roberts got the base hit, he said something like "Where have you BEEN Brian Roberts - we've missed you!", or something along those lines. And he was careful to report about Brian diving safely back into the bag, etc.

Basically, he seemed to understand that importance of the moment more than the MASN guys, apparently. I did not see the MASN coverage, but if it was as non-chalant as has been said here, do you think that was possibly at Brian's request? Maybe he didn't want a big deal made about it? I don't know, but it seems pretty remarkable that they wouldn't milk that moment.

Man, your words are well written. I can actually HEAR Joe saying the words that you have typed above. Gives me goosebumps, and I didn't even hear it. Great job Glenn!

As for the MASN broadcast, I wanted to take screwdrivers and pound them into my ears. I like Rick Dempsey, I really do, but he has NO business EVER broadcasting a game. I would have preferred Hunter and Roch...or Hunter and Amber. Hell, Amber and Britt!!!!! Now THAT would be entertaining TV!

I'm jumping in late into this thread but I had the same feelings as most of you. I can understand the posters who say it doesn't matter, and it really doesn't, it was just really out of the norm given the circumstances. This is a man who couldn't even get on a plane 6 months ago, couldn't be exposed to large crowds, bright lights, couldn't move his head to quickly w/o feeling light headed. Now, he's back on the baseball field, and MASN treats it like he's back in the lineup after pulling a hammy.

Rest assured, if Palmer and Thorne are in the booth when Markakis returns, they'll have the wherewithal to cue the cameras on his first AB... and that'll be after a 4 week trip to the DL. BRIANS BEEN OUT FOR OVER A YEAR!!!...FROM MULTIPLE CONCUSSIONS!!!

From the bottom of my heart, thank you Hollywood. Just when I thought there'd never be another They Saved Hitler's Brain, or Bubba Ho-Tep, somebody pulls out Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter. I seriously can't wait until my kids are older and the TV is once again freed up for stuff like this.

At least Breaking Bad comes back soon.

And I also believe "Breaking Bad" could've been DD's motto for this season.

For all the people complaining that live less than 30 minutes away, you should have went.

This is ridiculous! I live within a half hour, and at 630 it was STILL raining in Perry Hall. I pay over $120 a month for DirecTV, mainly so that I can watch the O's from my own living room. I get to 10-20 games a year, but I sure as hell can't afford to go every night, with 3 high school daughters. So spare me this routine, its ridiculous!

All I am saying it would have been nice if more Baltimore fans showed up. Did I single out "Dipper/Mr S,, you should have went! You live 30 minutes away!" No, I am saying that more fans within 30 minutes of the stadium should have went. It was a piss-poor showing by the city's fans. Reading what I read, the tone may have been a little "loud" but I was moreso saying people missed out on a good time and a great game.

So spare me the routine, its ridiculous!

For all the people complaining that live less than 30 minutes away, you should have went.
All I am saying it would have been nice if more Baltimore fans showed up. Did I single out "Dipper/Mr S,, you should have went! You live 30 minutes away!" No, I am saying that more fans within 30 minutes of the stadium should have went. It was a piss-poor showing by the city's fans. Reading what I read, the tone may have been a little "loud" but I was moreso saying people missed out on a good time and a great game.

You said "all the people" to which I am one, so yes, my friend, you did in fact single ME out.

No big deal. Not trying to start a fight. But we can't all go to every game just because we live close to the Yard. That is what MASN is for.

You said "all the people" to which I am one, so yes, my friend, you did in fact single ME out.

No big deal. Not trying to start a fight. But we can't all go to every game just because we live close to the Yard. That is what MASN is for.

I concur. The 75/25 Philly showing this weekend and then the bad showing last night has just left me with a sour mood as far as attendance. My OG post was meant to indicate people missed out and would not be complaining if they were there, that's all. No harm done.

MASN has an obligation to produce respectable broadcasts regardless of where its viewers are. I live in Florida and was aghast at Hunter and Dempsey's treatment of a great Oriole moment--I really cdn't solve it by jumping on the train and making it to OPACY. Like TennOsfan said above, I can't imagine another broadcast team cramming *every possible second* with a rushed, pre-scripted list of stats about, say, Dana Eveland as one of their club's most popular, important, and community-involved players makes his first plate appearance in 13 months after recovering from a scary nearly career-ending brain injury.

MASN has an obligation to produce respectable broadcasts regardless of where its viewers are. I live in Florida and was aghast at Hunter and Dempsey's treatment of a great Oriole moment--I really cdn't solve it by jumping on the train and making it to OPACY. Like TennOsfan said above, I can't imagine another broadcast team cramming *every possible second* with a rushed, pre-scripted list of stats about, say, Dana Eveland as one of their club's most popular, important, and community-involved players makes his first plate appearance in 13 months after recovering from a scary nearly career-ending brain injury.

What? When did I say I was cool with MASN not showing this. I was simply talking about the attendance. You live in FL, farther than 30 minutes away, so my comment does not apply to you or your comment.

As others have implied, this is a ridiculous sentiment, given you have no idea what anyone's personal circumstances are that may have prevented them from attending, regardless of distance from the park. So because I wasn't there, and I live within 30 minutes, I'm not allowed to complain about the televised broadcast? Good to know. Am I then obligated to attend all 81 home games, simply because I live within 30 minutes? Seemingly, according to your rationale. Got it.

And by the way, it's should have gone. Not went.

Archived