Mixing the new posters with the vets here at OH

Tony-OH

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
See that's the thing. At any given time hundreds of people are viewing this site. On any given day, THOUSANDS of people read what You have written here at OH.

Damn Weams, when you put it like that, I guess I should start trying to make sense when I post.

Last couple of years and some of this off season, every time I would post, two guys no longer here would find ways to harshly criticize whatever I said. It was like a game to them and it was tiresome for me. I'm stubborn and didn't let it chase me away, but I'm sure that kind of behavior did inhibit the number of posters and the diversity of opinions presented on this board. I fully recognize that I have a lot of opinions and some of them can be a tad off:) However, I've been a fan for 40 years, I played and coached baseball for a long time so I do feel I have things to add to this board. This season has been like a breath of fresh air. I feel like when I state an opinion it will actually be considered. I don't expect everyone to agree and I welcome the opinions of others because I know I don't know everything. That's the way this board should operate. Open minded discussion and information. I congratulate Tony for the changes he made to make this happen, there is no doubt in my mind this board is a friendlier, more open and informative place due to those changes.

As for the name change, I don't like it. I found this board through my kids who are Oriole fans. I was very pleasantly surprised there were so many guys that still cared and about the O's. Still paid attention to things like the amateur draft. Still dreamed of the Orioles some day being in contention. That was me. I'm a Ravens season ticket holder and I bought a mini package for Maryland basketball so I'm a year long sports fan. That being said, the Orioles need their own board. The franchise was at a low point this off season and seems to be inching its way back. The Ravens will be fine. Maryland will be fine. The Orioles need a site to call their own.

As a humble noob, I can say that I really have enjoyed my time on this board. The veterans have been more than welcoming and this has really been a great place for me to connect with other O's fans. Special thanks to all the folks who have been kind enough to ingnore my noobieness and overall stupidity :)

If my own opinion counts, I personally love this board the way it is. As a member of many forums it is nice to see forums that cater to a range of topics, but I like the fact that this is an orioles specific board. As much as I wish I was, I am not from Baltimore. I do not identify much with the cities sport scene other than the O's. I think that changing the boards name to something more along the lines of Baltimore hangout would sort of alienate the posters from New york, LA, New Orleans, Virginia, the Carolinas, Texas, and many other places that people on here live.

Again thanks to all the people who make this board awesome, but please try to keep it awesome!

I'd really like it if the prospect tracker allowed conversation. There seems to be some overlap with minors in that case, but it would be good if the conversation was restricted to the individual prospects. There are a few of us who are really quite enamored with that part of the board and would love to be able to talk prospects more!

Last couple of years and some of this off season, every time I would post, two guys no longer here would find ways to harshly criticize whatever I said. It was like a game to them and it was tiresome for me. I'm stubborn and didn't let it chase me away, but I'm sure that kind of behavior did inhibit the number of posters and the diversity of opinions presented on this board. I fully recognize that I have a lot of opinions and some of them can be a tad off:) However, I've been a fan for 40 years, I played and coached baseball for a long time so I do feel I have things to add to this board. This season has been like a breath of fresh air. I feel like when I state an opinion it will actually be considered. I don't expect everyone to agree and I welcome the opinions of others because I know I don't know everything. That's the way this board should operate. Open minded discussion and information. I congratulate Tony for the changes he made to make this happen, there is no doubt in my mind this board is a friendlier, more open and informative place due to those changes.

As for the name change, I don't like it. I found this board through my kids who are Oriole fans. I was very pleasantly surprised there were so many guys that still cared and about the O's. Still paid attention to things like the amateur draft. Still dreamed of the Orioles some day being in contention. That was me. I'm a Ravens season ticket holder and I bought a mini package for Maryland basketball so I'm a year long sports fan. That being said, the Orioles need their own board. The franchise was at a low point this off season and seems to be inching its way back. The Ravens will be fine. Maryland will be fine. The Orioles need a site to call their own.

As this situation was unfolding, it never really crossed my mind how unwelcoming OH could be due to a few posters. Once I decided to draw the line, I finally decided it was going to be best for all involved if we just got some fresh voices. That doesn't take away the importance of the longterm members, it just meant it was time to make some changes.

I'm really happy when I read comments like this. OH was always supposed to be a welcoming place for all opinions as long as they are opinions that can backed up with facts. I learn something new everyday at OH, and I'm glad so many new folks have felt good about joining into the fray. We're a better community because of posters like you.

As this situation was unfolding, it never really crossed my mind how unwelcoming OH could be due to a few posters. Once I decided to draw the line, I finally decided it was going to be best for all involved if we just got some fresh voices. That doesn't take away the importance of the longterm members, it just meant it was time to make some changes.

I've been reading almost daily since 2005 but did get really turned off by a couple of "above the law" posters. They aren't here and in addition to the boards being more fun to read, I'm happy to cough up the very reasonable amount of cash to be a plus member. When I get off my rear-end, I'm going to sign up as a plus member. Thanks for opening up comments in June. Great site!

I've noticed over the last month or so that we've got a lot of new members chiming in and I'm really happy to see this. We've obviously gone through some changes with some old members leaving or being "released," but with that it seems its opened some opportunities up for more people to put in their two cents. That's a very good thing.

I know the OH has been intimating to new members in the past, especially with certain personalities dominating the conversations at times, but I like reading some of the fresh new opinions and ideas that are mixing in well with our longtime members. Our traffic is up and although the Orioles winnings ways is certainly a contributing factor, I truly feel the new folks coming in and joining our community has been a big part of an even better OH. I've been told by a few new people that they feel the board has been very inviting and that's something I haven't heard in a longtime.

There are too many of you to name and I don't want to make anyone upset by missing someone, but I want to thank all of you for making this community the best place to talk Orioles and just about anything else.

Just a few quick thanks of course to my main man weams for doing a great job with the game and minor league summaries as well as Shane for working on things behind the scenes. I also want thank Oldorioles for doing a good job on the prospect tracker.

BTW, speaking of the prospect tracker, I'm thinking of changing the philosophy of the forum and make it more of a discussion for each of the prospects instead of just informational. What do you guys think? right now it doesn't seem to get much traffic and allowing people to just add their thoughts, reports and information about each player would give us a nice record of each players season.

Lastly, we have been given an opportunity to gain more exposure but we would need to change the name or the message board to Baltimore Sports hangout. I know I said I was going to do this earlier this year, but I wanted to get Hangouters' opinion on the matter. Would you care if the board's theme was Baltimore Sports instead of being Orioles centric even if none of the forums or content changed?

On the bright side we would change the look and feel of the board and we would move away from that orange banners on each post to something a little more neutral.

Anyways, I want to use this thread for some feedback as well as to welcome some of the new blood into the Hangout community. We welcome all feedback whether you have two posts or 20,000.

As always, thanks for being a Hangouter.

Great stuff, Tony - and Weams has really taken the site to a new level with his coverage, commentary and welcoming attitude to some of the newer posters. I guess I don't qualify as that anymore, but still... great time to be a Hangouter.

I am all for whatever Tony and the guys want to do to improve/change the site. And I would also like to express my gratitude for not being DFA'd after all these years. Even the best teams need a few grizzled veterans, and I will continue to try hard not to throw the cheese up and in. :laughlol: Thanks Guys!

It don't matter to me what this site is called it will still be the first thing I read in the mornings (and many times during the day) as this is where I feel I can find the most informative news about the Orioles on the web. The section of Florida I live in does not have many people to talk about the Orioles with. All the talk in sports is who's better in football, the Gators or the Seminoles. I love to come on here and see all the people talking about my Orioles and so far this year I get to read about other people as excited as me. After all we stick with the Birds thru thick and thin and we deserve to enjoy a full season of ball. This is the best sports site period.

Archived