Mixing the new posters with the vets here at OH

Tony-OH

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If its not broken, don't fix it.

Great signal to noise ratio here.

Signal to noise?

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ov-_Qs_OJeM?version=3&feature=player_detailpage"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ov-_Qs_OJeM?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

I did consider that but we've seen an uptick in hits since May and I haven't seen a ton of posts from "non posting members". Either way, I'm monitoring the situation. Thanks for your thoughts.

I love the board Tony...and happily pay my fee for the great service. I encourage anyone to do so also. I glad that the board is set up this way as it keeps away the nonsense posters from the other boards.

Signal to noise?

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ov-_Qs_OJeM?version=3&feature=player_detailpage"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ov-_Qs_OJeM?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

The Sun boards have a horrendous signal to noise ratio.

I think changing the branding of your business is very dangerous Tony. There are a ton of people that actually spend a lot of money to have what you have. Your board is THE site for all things Orioles, that is what you are. I think trying to execute the same model on a broader scale might work out but I would not try to be entirely something new. I know you believe that you have a model to create an online community that will work because it is a better model, but many folks have found that it is not a given that you will strike gold if you dig in a different place. In short my opinion is there is no reward that I can see that would justify the risk you are proposing. I know it is yours and you can do whatever you like but I am afraid that you may be lacking some prospective in this matter. You know people want to come to Orioles Hangout you don't know if they want to come to something else. Of course this is just my opinion.

Almost everything I would have said has already been said more succinctly than I would have said it in this thread-- something that happens to me a lot!

-Love the OH as it is.

-I've been a reader for a very long time and a poster for a couple years but my posting rate has definitely picked up this summer. It is fun to see a blend of familiar names and new names both providing lots of input.

-Wouldn't prefer a change of website name or theme, but quoting a couple others, it's not a "deal breaker" at all. Don't have much doubt that this would continue to be an excellent place for discussion-- O's and otherwise-- even if the premise was expanded.

-Can't give any advice on the matter for the staff's perspective-- clearly many on here are more knowledgeable than I about effective branding and niche marketing. I don't know much about the risks OR potential benefits from an economic standpoint.

To summarize, I'd be happier to keep the community generally the way it is, but that might be more of my "Ew change yuck no!!" instinct than actual concerns about devaluing the website.

Nice to see the Vets not beating up on the new guys. New Culture = better comfort level of new posters. This promotes new folks doing more posting.

Just now reading all this, 9 hours and 3 pages behind... I was really bummed when he who shall not be named left. And he and I haven't gotten along for a LONG time... But you could never doubt his facts or really his wisdom.

But since then the level of discussion has definitely risen around here! I'm really surprised. There's less petty fights and more BASEBALL discussion! And like was said, maybe more lurkers coming out into the light.

I'll treat anyone like a long lost bro if he makes sense and I agree. Or even if I don't agree. Especially if I disagree. It's fun to argue back and forth if it doesn't get petty. "We're talkin' baseball... Boog Powell strikes another mighty blow" This is why baseball is so much fun. You have time to argue (in the game thread...) between plays whether a call was right or not. Differing opinions. Strategy. Roster moves. Just a better atmosphere now.

How about this, Tony? Change the name to whatever helps you the most... then I'll tell two friends.......

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/oCjmDI4AJlk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I have considered putting together a Washington Sports Hangout but I need to do more research on some popular Nats/Redskins/Caps boards that might consider joining forces. I also would need a strong managing editor/moderators since I would not be part of that site like I am at OH.

Be careful not to bite off more than you can chew. As a "DC resident" here in Fairfax, I enjoy having this site so Baltimore-centric. Washington is obsessed with everything and anything Redskins, if you're not a big skins fan, you probably won't have your finger on what a good "Washington Sports Hangout" should be. I say stick to your strengths. This board is awesome because you've pumped your heart into what you care about. Even if you join forces with someone else, you will still have to split your vision and thus the possibility of hurting this site is enlarged.

This is indeed how I found this forum. YEARS ago I posted on the MLB.com/orioles board or w/e it was. That place was ****ty, mind you this was 2005ish.

Yeah, don't do this.

I'll go the conceited route here and say "awwwww you're too kind". Of course I likely never crossed your mind.

Repped. Perfect post.

There goes that OFFNY aging himself again.

Now to get serious. I know I've only been here for about a month, but I've already grown to love this site. While a more broad website for all Baltimore sports certainly wouldn't fail and may garner you more traffic, I don't like the idea. This is an ORIOLES forum. That's why I joined. I'm already a member to a few other Ravens forum (none of them even come close to as good as this site is for the O's, but I digress". I go there for a majority of my Ravens news/discussions/etc.

WITH THAT SAID, I think if you did want to expand the best way to go about it would be to start up 2 sister sites. One for the O's and one for the Terps. Just have a homepage with 3 options on the screen to direct you to the site you want to go to. Be it baltimoresports.com giving you the option for Orioleshangout/ Ravenshangout/ Terpshangout or what have you. They could be formatted the same way this site is just with different color schemes and instead of cartoon birds it'd obviously be ravens and terrapins. The only real "issue" I see with that is allocating subforums. Since I wouldn't be a fan of having all of the forums on the same big forum, the videogames/ music/ etc etc etc forums would have to be placed strategically. I mean, you could just put them on all the other forums as subforums, but that seems a bit over the top.

If it were up to me (and it's clearly not), I'd just leave those subforums on OH and try to build a brand for each of the others (Ravens/Terps) and hope that they can reach the level of success OH seems to have. At which point they can branch off and become their own, ideally.

I can't say I won't still post on OH if you change it up, because I will. It'd just irk me for a little but I'm sure I'd get over it relatively quickly. OH just has too much of a warm "homey" feel to it and I don't want to see that change.

Since YOU brought yourself up.... :P Yes you're def one of the good n00bs, rmt64! I hate to make a list like Tony said, for fear of forgetting someone(s)

and sorry if I don't get all the names exactly right... it is Friday night and I'm drunk and I ain't researchin' all the names and I'm drunk....

socalbirdfan

garethcoker

even RavNMadMan is pretty new... IMPACT player. Like Sammy Bird. Like Tony S. Like OFFNY.

pinkfloydrayford

And MANY MANY more. I'm losing focus here at the beginning of my weekend. :D

The POINT is.... this place continues to attract great Oriole fans who are great posters. And has THOUSANDS of great and dedicated posters already. THOUSANDS of US who aren't going to leave. ;) Worst case scenario is that everyone who is now exposed (addicted) to this site are NOT ABOUT to leave! Ever. Even if this name change doesn't draw one single new member... we still have a ROCKIN' board here. That will not change. Ever.

Since YOU brought yourself up.... :P Yes you're def one of the good n00bs, rmt64! I hate to make a list like Tony said, for fear of forgetting someone(s)

and sorry if I don't get all the names exactly right... it is Friday night and I'm drunk and I ain't researchin' all the names and I'm drunk....

socalbirdfan

garethcoker

even RavNMadMan is pretty new... IMPACT player. Like Sammy Bird. Like Tony S. Like OFFNY.

pinkfloydrayford

And MANY MANY more. I'm losing focus here at the beginning of my weekend. :D

The POINT is.... this place continues to attract great Oriole fans who are great posters. And has THOUSANDS of great and dedicated posters already. THOUSANDS of US who aren't going to leave. ;) Worst case scenario is that everyone who is now exposed (addicted) to this site are NOT ABOUT to leave! Ever. Even if this name change doesn't draw one single new member... we still have a ROCKIN' board here. That will not change. Ever.

See that's the thing. At any given time hundreds of people are viewing this site. On any given day, THOUSANDS of people read what You have written here at OH.

Archived