Mixing the new posters with the vets here at OH

Tony-OH

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Tony,

First off, thanks for all you do. I love the board and it is a great place to vent in times of frustration and get information on all things Orioles.

I would say "yes" to the Baltimore Sports Hangout from a business standpoint. I think it will allow you to get a lot of the Ravens crowd which could be a huge plus. I would also consider not just limiting it to Baltimore thought. Being a HUGE Nats fan:) (in jest) here perhaps you could consider the Nats and the Caps too. The Caps have a huge fan base in Baltimore.

And sooner or late the Wizards won't be so terrible....one day...:)

Just my .02, keep up the good work and I am glad to be a part of it.

I have considered putting together a Washington Sports Hangout but I need to do more research on some popular Nats/Redskins/Caps boards that might consider joining forces. I also would need a strong managing editor/moderators since I would not be part of that site like I am at OH.

I, for one, do NOT welcome our new Nationals Overlords.

This. After having lived in the DC area for five years (with fond memories), I have zero interest in hockey, basketball, and all things Washington sports.* I have never understood Baltimore fans (especially those who openly dislike the Redskins as a Washington team), embrace the Caps and Wizards. That's a clown fandom, bro.

* Save American University basketball, but I doubt that would get much attention, anyway.

I've owned Baltimore Sports Hangout.com for years, long before any copycat sites popped up. It's not surprising that it's a coincidence though but hey, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. ;)

This is along the lines of what I was thinking would be a good solution. You have baltimoresportshangout.com with forums for Orioles Hangout, Ravens Hangout (if you can get the url), etc. You continue to own Orioleshangout.com and just have that page redirected to www.baltimoresportshangout.com/orioleshangout.

So, you own it all, but figure out a way to triage content.

It might stop being the top hit for "Orioles forum" searches and not bring in as many new members, and things like that. You may be able to do better with a 100% Orioles focus. Also I don't care for the Ravens and I don't want the forum to turn black and purple!

This is indeed how I found this forum. YEARS ago I posted on the MLB.com/orioles board or w/e it was. That place was ****ty, mind you this was 2005ish.

Black and Yellow reminds me of a certain city in western Pennsylvania. I know our options are probably limited but can we avoid that color scheme?

Yeah, don't do this.

I for one welcome our new Baltimore Sports overlords!

Seriously, if the content doesn't change and it will get you more exposure, go for it! Also would like to echo the praise for the new posters. A LOT of good n00bs around here lately.

I'll go the conceited route here and say "awwwww you're too kind". Of course I likely never crossed your mind.

Not a huge fan of pixilation.

Repped. Perfect post.

There goes that OFFNY aging himself again.

Now to get serious. I know I've only been here for about a month, but I've already grown to love this site. While a more broad website for all Baltimore sports certainly wouldn't fail and may garner you more traffic, I don't like the idea. This is an ORIOLES forum. That's why I joined. I'm already a member to a few other Ravens forum (none of them even come close to as good as this site is for the O's, but I digress". I go there for a majority of my Ravens news/discussions/etc.

WITH THAT SAID, I think if you did want to expand the best way to go about it would be to start up 2 sister sites. One for the O's and one for the Terps. Just have a homepage with 3 options on the screen to direct you to the site you want to go to. Be it baltimoresports.com giving you the option for Orioleshangout/ Ravenshangout/ Terpshangout or what have you. They could be formatted the same way this site is just with different color schemes and instead of cartoon birds it'd obviously be ravens and terrapins. The only real "issue" I see with that is allocating subforums. Since I wouldn't be a fan of having all of the forums on the same big forum, the videogames/ music/ etc etc etc forums would have to be placed strategically. I mean, you could just put them on all the other forums as subforums, but that seems a bit over the top.

If it were up to me (and it's clearly not), I'd just leave those subforums on OH and try to build a brand for each of the others (Ravens/Terps) and hope that they can reach the level of success OH seems to have. At which point they can branch off and become their own, ideally.

I can't say I won't still post on OH if you change it up, because I will. It'd just irk me for a little but I'm sure I'd get over it relatively quickly. OH just has too much of a warm "homey" feel to it and I don't want to see that change.

Archived