@ Mets 6/18: BEAT DICKEY

Sanfran327

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Such as comparing Tommy Hunter and Jake Arrieta to demonstrate a point, two pitchers about as different as two pitchers can be. Such as saying that pitchers who can go 4-5 IP but break down in the 6th are better suited for the bullpen: first off, if a pitcher is breaking down in the 6th it's not because he's struggling the 2nd time through the lineup, because by the 6th he's going through it the 3rd time. Basically, the whole idea that a pitcher that breaks down in the 6th is better suited for the bullpen is flawed: if you can get through 4-5 IP, especially with the peripherals and stuff that Jake has, it's not an issue of needing to go to the bullpen. The issues are something else--look to luck/chance/misfortune and mental obstacles.

Repeating delivery and throwing strikes, if you were watching the game at all tonight, were not a problem for Jake; look to Brian Matusz for struggles repeating his delivery.

Going against a guy who you can't allow a run against doesn't help. If Jake had allowed an infield single to Ike Davis there the result of this game very likely would've been the same, and you all would be applauding the guy.

Good post and I don't disagree with most of it. We just disagree with regard to his fastball command.

I'm not talking about Arrieta's performance tonight. I'm referring to a larger sample size and his tendency to be erratic with his fastball. He would be lights out for 25-40 pitches.

Not talking about tonight's performance, I'm talking about his track record as a major leaguer.

Track record as a major leaguer is not particularly instructive in Jake's case, considering he was pitching injured for a good portion of last season, and one could even argue it's borderline useless given the stark difference in his peripherals this year from any year previous, ML or MiL.

Track record as a major leaguer is not particularly instructive in Jake's case, considering he was pitching injured for a good portion of last season, and one could even argue it's borderline useless given the stark difference in his peripherals this year from any year previous, ML or MiL.

You're entitled to your opinion.

For the love of God! Is the eclipses your trademark or something? There are other ways to end sentences that are in the middle of your post. I've used three of them in this post.

Good grief! Is this a baseball board? Thanks for your positive feedback. Two question marks, two periods and an exclamation point. Perhaps we can create a new stat. PPavg would be my personal punctuation average. It would be calculated by dividing the number of personal punctuation mistakes divided by the number of posts.

Good grief! Is this a baseball board? Thanks for your positive feedback. Two question marks, two periods and an exclamation point. Perhaps we can create a new stat. PPavg would be my personal punctuation average. It would be calculated by dividing the number of personal punctuation mistakes divided by the number of posts.

We would of course need a BI (board independent) version as well.

Archived