Are Orioles Going to Make A Blockbuster Deal With Cubs? BR Story

section18

A story appeared today by James Morisette on the Bleacher Report concerning the Orioles and Cubs possibly making a blockbuster deal that would land them both Cubs pitchers on the trading block and possibly Soriano. We would be giving up several of our current young starters.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1231922-baltimore-orioles-potential-trade-with-cubs-may-send-shockwaves-through-al-east

The Orioles also scouted the White Sox last week and the writer speculates the Orioles may be interested in Jake Peavy.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A story appeared today by James Morisette on the Bleacher Report concerning the Orioles and Cubs possibly making a blockbuster deal that would land them both Cubs pitchers on the trading block and possibly Soriano. We would be giving up several of our current young starters.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1231922-baltimore-orioles-potential-trade-with-cubs-may-send-shockwaves-through-al-east

The Orioles also scouted the White Sox last week and the writer speculates the Orioles may be interested in Jake Peavy.

Follow the story back. It's empty. Morisette provides a link to his source right there. Click that link (Jeremy Conn) and it refers to Bruce Levine (ESPN Chicago) as a guest on the Garceau Show (105.7fm here in Baltimore). Jeremy Conn conducts some of the interview. Levine even says in the interview that he doesn't think Dan Duquette would trade any of their real prospects (assumedly Bundy, Machado, Schoop).

So, yeah, noone said anything about a blockbuster deal actually being realistic.

That would be a fascinating trade to say the least. Obviously Arrieta and Matusz can be frustrating, but they could both be TOR starters in time. I wonder what else it would take for us to get that done.

That would go against the prior GM regime's philosophy. We would have to extend those two to justify trading for them IMO. I just don't see that happening.

Whether the rumor has legs or not, I'd part with Schoop, Arrieta, and Matusz for Dempster, Garza, and Soriano plus cash. Not Machado, though.

I'd be cool with that, except Soriano...but whatever.

You know if MacPhail was here, he'd have this done by now. ;) Dude loved him some Cubbies.

That would be a fascinating trade to say the least. Obviously Arrieta and Matusz can be frustrating, but they could both be TOR starters in time. I wonder what else it would take for us to get that done.

That would go against the prior GM regime's philosophy. We would have to extend those two to justify trading for them IMO. I just don't see that happening.

Not if his intent is to go for it this year. Maybe DD thinks we have a shot to win it all and is tilting into our success.

Last week I set up a post on why Brandon McCarthy could be our best fit. The following paragraph is from one of my responses to my post;

The more I think about it I don't see Theo helping anynody beat his former team and that includes the NYY. I am a huge Garza fan and have supported trading for him since he was with Tampa. It could still happen but I think McCarthy will be less costly and could be the best choice. Greedy would be trading for Garza and McCarthy. It's not impossible and I think including Hunter or Arrieta or Matusz in packages with Reynolds and Tillman could make the deals happen. I think our starters would all benefit pitching in Oakland's larger park. Hunter has given up 18 HR'S already in 84 innings which is roughly 1 in every 5 innings pitched. Arrieta and Matusz are both west coast guys who probably would like to return there. We need consistency and we don't get it with any of the three starters I mentioned. DD would probably never do what I am suggesting however....a starting rotation of Garza, McCarthy, Hammel and Chen with one of the three mentioned remaining would improve our playoff chances.

Todays Bleacher Report story includes comments almost identical to what I wrote on Wednesday. Dempster is having a great year. He would probably have 10 wins by now if he was pitching for the Orioles with his 2.11 ERA. I would be okay with getting both Cub pitchers to make the deal work. McCarthy is younger, is 6-3 and has a 2.54 ERA. I hope DD has McCarthy on his Radar in case someone else like Theo's former team slides in and tops our offer.

I'd be cool with that, except Soriano...but whatever.

You know if MacPhail was here, he'd have this done by now. ;) Dude loved him some Cubbies.

Reports surfaced this week that the Orioles reached out to AM to outsource the trade negotiations:)

I'm in a small minority, but if there was any package that sent Arrieta, Matusz or Tillman away from the O's, I'd be pleased. I can't stand frustrating baseball, and those three could fill a swimming pool with it.

Thats young players Terror....I think the Orioles would be silly to give up all three for 1/2season of Dempster & 11/2 of Garza....I have o interest in Sorianoso he subtracts not adds value to the cubs. I'd give them Jake or Brian and and two others C types.

Whether the rumor has legs or not, I'd part with Schoop, Arrieta, and Matusz for Dempster, Garza, and Soriano plus cash. Not Machado, though.

I would think that the Cubs could get better than Schoop and Arrieta if they were to deal Garza. I do not think that this story makes sense because the deal for the Cubs does not make any sense. I think that moving Dempster and Soriano saves the Cubs money and that makes sense, but dealing Garza would net a good return IMO.

Archived