Duquette: packages offered not better than what we have

SilentJames

The two go hand in hand. I've always had a budget, but before I wouldntt mind putting out a little extra for a day at the park. Now I can't stomach struggling to pad Peters pockets. Im sorry if that logic offends you, but after 14 years, its hard to take. This year has been great, but a solid 3/4 of the season doesn't erase the past 14, and will be a waste if Angels won't allow DD to build off this. Im willing to wait and see. Like I said, this winter will say alot.

Really? Sounds like you've already convicted the man based on hearsay from someone who obviously has an axe to grind with PA.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm assuming you mean other than the complete lack of evidence that he had anything to do with it? ;)
They hid all the evidence. See Virgilio Gonzalez, Bernard Barker, James W. McCord, Jr., Eugenio Martinez, and Frank Sturgis.

Jones

Hardy

Tillman

Strop

Davis

Reynolds

A good portion of our 25 man roster came from dealing away a few relief pitchers and Bedard. There are some things I would have liked to see MacPhail do that I have seen Duquette work on thus far, but some of our best players have come from smart baseball deals by MacPhail.

Fair point - very fair. The Bedard trade certainly worked out in our favor, and all credit to AM. The deals to get Strop and Davis were likewise excellent. But what he never, ever addressed was starting pitching. Here we are, many years down the road, and we have precisely zero consistent starters from the AM era. Not to jack the thread and bash AM, here. He did a lot of good... but not nearly enough in five years. DD did more in one offseason to shore up our rotation than AM did in five years. That's sad, considering that I'm talking about Chen and Hammel.

Fair point - very fair. The Bedard trade certainly worked out in our favor, and all credit to AM. The deals to get Strop and Davis were likewise excellent. But what he never, ever addressed was starting pitching. Here we are, many years down the road, and we have precisely zero consistent starters from the AM era. Not to jack the thread and bash AM, here. He did a lot of good... but not nearly enough in five years. DD did more in one offseason to shore up our rotation than AM did in five years. That's sad, considering that I'm talking about Chen and Hammel.

Most of that is because he was depending on his "cavalry", and we all know how that is going.

Really? Sounds like you've already convicted the man based on hearsay from someone who obviously has an axe to grind with PA.

What choice do I have? If you want to lead the Pro-Angelos movement, by all means have at it. When its clear Angels isn't the same old Pete, ill be the first to jump up and down for joy. Until then, Im going to go on fact from the last decade. And as for JD axe to grind, if your not allowed to do the job your hired to do, then you have every right to be upset. Also, I believe PA hindered AM. AM doesn't seem like a guy to just walk away from finishing what he started. I know, the Angelos appologists will take issue with that too.

What choice do I have? If you want to lead the Pro-Angelos movement, by all means have at it. When its clear Angels isn't the same old Pete, ill be the first to jump up and down for joy. Until then, Im going to go on fact from the last decade. And as for JD axe to grind, if your not allowed to do the job your hired to do, then you have every right to be upset. Also, I believe PA hindered AM. AM doesn't seem like a guy to just walk away from finishing what he started. I know, the Angelos appologists will take issue with that too.

You're in for a long season... as well as those who indulge you.

You're in for a long season... as well as those who indulge you.

Well, Im not forcing anyone to respond or read what I write. Im not being rude to anyone. If you dont like my opinion, thats fine. Nothing anyone says to me on here makes my life tough.

I dont mean to be a smart ass when I say this ...But what has Angelos done it 10 years in free agency to prove to you he cares about giving you a winner. If you answer is anything other than nothing I want what your smoking. What have the Orioles picked up at the deadline to show you they are doing anthing other than rebuilding? Again ....Nothing.... Im certain you get the point.... Angelos is being held up in this and a few other threads based on history & his track record. I dont need hardcore proof that he's meddling to assume he is. I dont believe that DD has free reign anymore than I believe AM had it.

I dont care that we didnt get Blanton.... Is he better than what we have? He's likely hasnt been slammed in the 1st inning like our current gaggle of SPs the last few days. That said DD talked like a guy that was going to improve the club...Lots of guys changed teams and he couldnt seem to find one guy that would help the team for a fair price? He spent the last 3 days dilly dallying on a player that was only worth it if the team we got him from would pay most of the money owed on his contract. He tied the pick upof a hitter to his ability to get a deal on Joe Blanton and them called him not much of a upgrade over what we've had...Seems like a lot of Peter-Talk .. oops I meant double talk ....Doesnt it seem at least a little odd to you?

I dont mean to be a smart ass when I say this ...But what has Angelos done it 10 years in free agency to prove to you he cares about giving you a winner. If you answer is anything other than nothing I want what your smoking. What have the Orioles picked up at the deadline to show you they are doing anthing other than rebuilding? Again ....Nothing.... Im certain you get the point.... Angelos is being held up in this and a few other threads based on history & his track record. I dont need hardcore proof that he's meddling to assume he is. I dont believe that DD has free reign anymore than I believe AM had it. ?

What a soap box some of you guys (I presume you are guys) are. Yeah... we haven't done much in FA for the last 10+ years.... so name me 3 players we should have signed for the deals, or more, than what they got for the team the ended up with? And.. you can't count Tex.

I dont mean to be a smart ass when I say this ...But what has Angelos done it 10 years in free agency to prove to you he cares about giving you a winner. If you answer is anything other than nothing I want what your smoking. What have the Orioles picked up at the deadline to show you they are doing anthing other than rebuilding? Again ....Nothing.... Im certain you get the point.... Angelos is being held up in this and a few other threads based on history & his track record. I dont need hardcore proof that he's meddling to assume he is. I dont believe that DD has free reign anymore than I believe AM had it.

I dont care that we didnt get Blanton.... Is he better than what we have? He's likely hasnt been slammed in the 1st inning like our current gaggle of SPs the last few days. That said DD talked like a guy that was going to improve the club...Lots of guys changed teams and he couldnt seem to find one guy that would help the team for a fair price? He spent the last 3 days dilly dallying on a player that was only worth it if the team we got him from would pay most of the money owed on his contract. He tied the pick upof a hitter to his ability to get a deal on Joe Blanton and them called him not much of a upgrade over what we've had...Seems like a lot of Peter-Talk .. oops I meant double talk ....Doesnt it seem at least a little odd to you?

Yes!

That said, I'd prefer nothing over making rash, misguided decisions, based on a wing and a prayer of making a postseason run, that then leaves our minor leagues in even worse shape than it already is.

My belief is that Double D sees this, and that's why he made no moves. You and others believe that at the 10th hour, Peter Angelos put the shilacky on the deals over a few million dollars. One of us could be right. We could both be wrong. Who knows? I just choose to believe that my GM has more sense then to make a deal that would hurt the team more than help it.

Yes!

That said, I'd prefer nothing over making rash, misguided decisions, based on a wing and a prayer of making a postseason run, that then leaves our minor leagues in even worse shape than it already is.

My belief is that Double D sees this, and that's why he made no moves. You and others believe that at the 10th hour, Peter Angelos put the shilacky on the deals over a few million dollars. One of us could be right. We could both be wrong. Who knows? I just choose to believe that my GM has more sense then to make a deal that would hurt the team more than help it.

And I believe our GM is operating without his Kahoonies that were chopped off by a meddling owner. Just like it became evident by the actions of AM and the guy before him , and the guy before him , and ..:ohlord: Well you get the point.

I think it was evident several other GMs all the way back to Gillick that thought they had control and didnt ..... Lets see Gillick, Wren, J Duq/Flanny, A McPhail, and certainly Double D (as you call him ) is in the same boat .... We'd be fools to believe otherwise.

Archived