Duquette: packages offered not better than what we have

SilentJames

What a soap box some of you guys (I presume you are guys) are. Yeah... we haven't done much in FA for the last 10+ years.... so name me 3 players we should have signed for the deals, or more, than what they got for the team the ended up with? And.. you can't count Tex.

They didnt have to be big moves. LaRoche sure wouldve looked nice at 1b. DeJesus would look nice in LF. The Yankees gave Burnett away, and hes 13-3 with an ERA around 3. Did we even consider Edwin Jackson?

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They didnt have to be big moves. LaRoche sure wouldve looked nice at 1b. DeJesus would look nice in LF. The Yankees gave Burnett away, and hes 13-3 with an ERA around 3. Did we even consider Edwin Jackson?

Not that I disagree with you, but Double D has been making these kind of moves all year. The Orioles are in the top of the league in transactions. He makes acquisitions left and right trying to improve the club. Just because it didn't come on July 31st doesn't mean he hasn't made moves.

And I believe our GM is operating without his Kahoonies that were chopped off by a meddling owner. Just like it became evident by the actions of AM and the guy before him , and the guy before him , and ..:ohlord: Well you get the point.

I think it was evident several other GMs all the way back to Gillick that thought they had control and didnt ..... Lets see Gillick, Wren, J Duq/Flanny, A McPhail, and certainly Double D (as you call him ) is in the same boat .... We'd be fools to believe otherwise.

Thats my feelings also. I dont care about Blanton. Its the fact that PA seems to be interfering still. I think DD could do a great job here, if allowed to. But im just a troll, so everything I say is baseless.

All of them have had or did have question marks at the time they were available. Sure Burnett in the NL having the season he is having now looks nice, you think the Yankees would have given him away if they thought he could perform at that level? They weren't even sure they were going to carry him on their playoff squad last year.

None of these guys are difference makers. When whiners complain about no FA signings, I presume they mean high quality players.

Not that I disagree with you, but Double D has been making these kind of moves all year. The Orioles are in the top of the league in transactions. He makes acquisitions left and right trying to improve the club. Just because it didn't come on July 31st doesn't mean he hasn't made moves.

Finally, something we agree on :). I think DD could do alot here and I trust him. Its PA track record that worries me. If we lose McClouth, and Chavez is still here friday, that has PA alll over it. Anyone can see there are many more and better options then Chavez.

And I really hope you dont take me personally. Im really jyst trying to have conversation here. PA not allowing baseball men to do their jobs is my main concern. Unfortunately history backs me up.

Fair point - very fair. The Bedard trade certainly worked out in our favor, and all credit to AM. The deals to get Strop and Davis were likewise excellent. But what he never, ever addressed was starting pitching. Here we are, many years down the road, and we have precisely zero consistent starters from the AM era. Not to jack the thread and bash AM, here. He did a lot of good... but not nearly enough in five years. DD did more in one offseason to shore up our rotation than AM did in five years. That's sad, considering that I'm talking about Chen and Hammel.

IIRC, AM started the scouting on Chen and Duquette gave AM that credit.

All of them have had or did have question marks at the time they were available. Sure Burnett in the NL having the season he is having now looks nice, you think the Yankees would have given him away if they thought he could perform at that level? They weren't even sure they were going to carry him on their playoff squad last year.

None of these guys are difference makers. When whiners complain about no FA signings, I presume they mean high quality players.

Sure Burnetts in the NL. Even if his ERA is a run higher here, id take a 4. Point is, were not gonna take on that salary. I dont whine about not signing big name FA. Why even discuss them. We cant afford them. Isnt that the general thinking here?

Finally, something we agree on :). I think DD could do alot here and I trust him. Its PA track record that worries me. If we lose McClouth, and Chavez is still here friday, that has PA alll over it. Anyone can see there are many more and better options then Chavez.

And I really hope you dont take me personally. Im really jyst trying to have conversation here. PA not allowing baseball men to do their jobs is my main concern. Unfortunately history backs me up.

I most certainly agree with the bolded part. (although Buck has some serious man crushes on guys who I would think were cuttable).

As for the second part, I am not offended, and hope you're not either. For some reason, I get my panties in a bunch when people bash Angelos for things he is not responsible for. Trust me, he's gotten plenty of my grief over the years, but I just don't buy the conspiracy theory that he blocked this deal. Again, if we lose McClouth Friday and Chavez is still on the roster, then it would be hard to defend that as anything other than the Orioles being cheap.

Sure Burnetts in the NL. Even if his ERA is a run higher here, id take a 4. Point is, were not gonna take on that salary. I dont whine about not signing big name FA. Why even discuss them. We cant afford them. Isnt that the general thinking here?

Now see, just when we were starting to get along, you do this. Do you NOT understand how condescending it is to generalize opinions of some as everyone at the Hangout having that opinion? Its statements like that why I called you a troll earlier. I could be off base, and maybe you were just tongue in cheek with that statement, and if so, I apologize, but that sure sounds like a generalized comment about the OH and that no one is allowed to disagree with each other. And if so, those are the kinds of statements that get people agitated!

What a soap box some of you guys (I presume you are guys) are. Yeah... we haven't done much in FA for the last 10+ years.... so name me 3 players we should have signed for the deals, or more, than what they got for the team the ended up with? And.. you can't count Tex.

Are you kidding ???

1) Cepedes (no brainer) 2011-2012 OF

2) E Jackson SP

3)J Keppinger 3B or Aramis Ramirez

I just looked at this past year ...Actually this is a drill in futility and proves nothing.

All 3-4 would have been better options and production over what we have .... I could go on but dont want to waste my time. If you think the Orioles were smart to pass on every free agent other than Tex the last 10 years I dont get why you even follow the Orioles for anything other than self torture.

Are you kidding ???

1) Cepedes (no brainer) 2011-2012 OF

2) E Jackson SP

3)J Keppinger 3B or Aramis Ramirez

I just looked at this past year ...Actually this is a drill in futility and proves nothing.

I'll give you Jackson. Keppinger? LOL

What it would prove is that the vast majority if not ALL high level FA's are vastly overpaid. And is reason enough why we don't have any.

I'll give you Jackson. Keppinger? LOL

What it would prove is that the vast majority if not ALL high level FA's are vastly overpaid. And is reason enough why we don't have any.

Well Cepedes was talked about here at lengths (.900 OPS) ...By the team as having interest as well. A Ram would have been my choice for 3B. By the way .... Keppinger is hitting close to .300 with a near .900 OPS.

And you said 10 years .... I gave you 4 in one year...I rest my case.

Well Cepedes was talked about here at lengths (.900 OPS) ...By the team as having interest as well. A Ram would have been my choice for 3B. By the way .... Keppinger is hitting close to .300 with a near .900 OPS.

And you said 10 years .... I gave you 4 in one year...I rest my case.

I recall Stottle not thinking Cespedes would be a good risk, for the money being rumored, for a variety of reason one of them being the cultural

change.

ARam is a good player sure. But he's also one of those Prima Donna types you generally want to stay away from. Perhaps you think differently.

Keppinger didn't have a good 2011. 2010 was decent but then you have to go back to 2007 to see a good season. So he wasn't a no-brainer.

Still waiting on 3 names we should have afforded.....

Because its a waste of time to name the big names. Thats why I listed three guys that could have helped us at a reasonable price. LaRoche, DeJesus, and Jackson. Kelly Johnson would have been a nice addition. But if you want names just for the sake of it..

1. Jose Reyes would have been a spark at the top of the lineup, and allowed Hardy to move to 3b.

2. Cepedes would have added pop and solved LF.

3. Mark Buerhle would have been a nice addition, and was signed fairly cheap by SP standards.

Archived