Do you want to take a shot at Josh Hamilton?

Frobby

Do you want to pursue Josh Hamilton  

232 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want to pursue Josh Hamilton

• Yes, he is the big bat we need and is worth the expense and risk
    • No, he will be too expensive and is too risky

When I say "away from", I mean being a legit WS contender. Let's face it, long term, we're not there yet. We had an 80-85 win team catch lightning in a bottle. But we don't need one drastic fix.

That said, I wouldn't be completely opposed to picking up Greinke. But Hamilton looks to me like he'd be Albert Belle II.

I actually agree with this - to a degree. Regardless, you add when you're on the precipice - not after you've already won! That's the point... I'm also bullish on Greinke. Either would be a fantastic pickup for the O's. That said... barring these "sexy" free agents, in DD I trust. If he chooses not to add any splash FA's... mmmokay then. But still: do we have a better chance of challenging for the division for the next 3-5 years with Hamilton? Definitely, IMO.

Maybe the poll needed a third option:

yes, but only at the right price - not the market price.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Reimold, if he stays healthy, would be a huge improvement to OBP perhaps even larger than Nick. I'd commit to limiting Reimold to DH-only to try to keep him healthy, sending Davis to LF (or 1B if Reynolds is non-tendered). Davis played a solid RF in Nick's absence, so he should also be able to play LF well (and perhaps DH against some righties with McLouth, if he's retained, taking LF).

Gonna go out on a limb and predict Hamilton to the Mariners. I know there's rumors about keeping costs down for a potential sale, but a blockbuster name could actually make them more attractive to a potential buyer (and there's no substantial evidence they'll even be up for sale to begin with). The Ichiro trade combined with moving the fences in makes me believe they're setting themselves up to acquire a franchise outfielder, and comparing their 2012 Opening Day payroll to 2013 projected payroll looks like they have a tremendous amount of spending room.

yes, but only at the right price - not the market price.

Find it extremely unlikely Hamilton is available below market price. Gotta figure, at minimum, the Rangers, Red Sox, Dodgers, and perhaps Mariners and Cubs will all be bidding hard for him. He's hitting the market at the right time.

I think this year once again taught us that you can never have too much pitching. I wouldn't go after Hamilton because his performance dropped so much the second half of the year and he has addiction issues that will always be of concern.

I'd rather get as many additional arms as possible, pump big money into farm system.

Sometimes I try to look at problems from an opposite viewpoint. If Roberts is done, Reimold has more neck problems, and Wieters doesn't sign an extension. Then you are looking at a window of 2 to 3 years to get to a WS. I might go after Hamilton if those things are likely. But not on a mega contract.

I'd be surprised if anyone offered much more than 3 years. Jus ttoo much risk there. Don't see the Cubs going after him or the Yankees, or Boston. I think Atlanta would be agood fit, and maybe St. Louis, and MIL.He probably winds up back in TEX though.

He was one of the worst hitters in baseball for 4 months last season.

No thanks.

This just isn't true. Hamilton had a putrid July, an average June, and played out of his mind the rest of the season. He's easily our best hitter on day one if we sign him.

For reference, Hamilton and Jones' month/month splits.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.cgi?id=hamiljo03&year=2012&t=b

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.cgi?id=jonesad01&year=2012&t=b

I'd be surprised if anyone offered much more than 3 years. Jus ttoo much risk there. Don't see the Cubs going after him or the Yankees, or Boston. I think Atlanta would be agood fit, and maybe St. Louis, and MIL.He probably winds up back in TEX though.

Boston probably has over $60 million in payroll room for 2013 and I don't see them going into rebuild mode anytime soon. They will be looking to make a splash, bet they aggressively pursue both Hamilton and Greinke (with the intent of signing one).

Boston probably has over $60 million in payroll room for 2013 and I don't see them going into rebuild mode anytime soon. They will be looking to make a splash, bet they aggressively pursue both Hamilton and Greinke (with the intent of signing one).
BOS is not going to make the same mistakes they made with AGonz, Lackey, and Crawford. They are likely to be much more careful about money and years to an injury prone, possible clubhouse malcontent.

They have more holes then Hamilton and Greinke can fill.

You could be right Gordo, but I'll be shocked if he only gets 3 years. I see a 5-6 year deal, maybe with some clauses to protect teams on the drug issues.
3 yeas with a vesting option for G played would be my offer, if I made one. Before I did that, I'd have to talk to a lot of people who know him well, and find out where his head was the second half of this season.

Archived