Matt Hobgood - is there hope? (No, there is not. Indy League bound.)

McLovin

I don't think the funds would have been there. From what we heard AM had to ask for the 800K to sign Givens as it had already been allocated elsewhere.

So within the confines of the budget they were working with it would not have been feasible.

(Theoretically ownership could have increased the draft budget to over 10 million.)

Yes, based on an artificial ceiling they probably would not have signed those two players.

• Replies 565
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't think the funds would have been there. From what we heard AM had to ask for the 800K to sign Givens as it had already been allocated elsewhere.

Are you certain that was not to get him down from his 1.5 million demand?

• 1 month later...
6.56 ERA over his last 10 appearances. Walking a batter every other inning, and mediocre overall peripherals.

Will he make it through to next season with the organization?

I know he is a great kid and all...but that draft still makes my blood boil. Tyler Matzek sure would have been nice. The best part of this story is Joe Jordan is no longer an employee of the Orioles organization. Good riddance.

6.56 ERA over his last 10 appearances. Walking a batter every other inning, and mediocre overall peripherals.

Will he make it through to next season with the organization?

Of course not bud. He could transition and we might take a look.

It has been painful watching Hobgood, no doubt a nice kid, but a really bad draft decision, struggle through 5 years in the low minors, plus TJ surgery, and fail to achieve mediocrity. I think its time for both Matt and the Orioles to cut bait.

It has been painful watching Hobgood, no doubt a nice kid, but a really bad draft decision, struggle through 5 years in the low minors, plus TJ surgery, and fail to achieve mediocrity. I think its time for both Matt and the Orioles to cut bait.

Couple of shoulder surgeries but no TJ.

Shoulder troubles are generally a lot worse then TJ.

Who do the Phillies have that they would give to us.

Couple of shoulder surgeries but no TJ.

Shoulder troubles are generally a lot worse then TJ.

I knew Hobgood had surgery.....TJ is always the obvious one......but few make it back from most shoulder surgeries. And in Hobgood's case, it now seems that the original skill level was already below that of a 1st round pick.

How would anyone know? It seems as though he got hurt after he got drafted. I'm not saying the talent was great but most teams had him rated as a first round talent. It seems as though he was never 100% healthy enough to determine if the talent warranted a first round pick, let alone the 5th overall. 2009 is shaping up as a wasted draft as Givens is fringy as a reliever and Ohlman is having a down year after such a good year last year.

Was curious so I checked the Baseball America Top 100 draft prospects for 2009 Hobgood was listed as #40, but BA expected him to go in the 2nd or 3rd round of the draft, not in the 1st round. I can remember the shock and dismay here on OH over his selection.

Was curious so I checked the Baseball America Top 100 draft prospects for 2009 Hobgood was listed as #40, but BA expected him to go in the 2nd or 3rd round of the draft, not in the 1st round. I can remember the shock and dismay here on OH over his selection.

I remember watching the draft and the talk at draft time was that the Orioles were deciding between Hobgood and Wheeler. They almost made a good pick.

• 3 weeks later...

Alright, there may be hope for Hobgood, but it ain't with the Orioles. You know it's an issue when the shortstop turned second baseman turned pitcher drafted behind you gets both promoted to AA and invited to the AFL ahead of you...

Alright, there may be hope for Hobgood, but it ain't with the Orioles. You know it's an issue when the shortstop turned second baseman turned pitcher drafted behind you gets both promoted to AA and invited to the AFL ahead of you...

I told you. Hobgood is gone. Gone buddy.

Archived