Matt Hobgood - is there hope? (No, there is not. Indy League bound.)

McLovin

I was watching some video of Hobgood in school and compared it to what I could find from Bluefield days and Aberdeen, I think, and one thing struck me: In school he was throwing himself off the mound toward the plate. In pro ball, it's markedly different. He comes at the batter as if he's in a rocking chair. It's the most ultra-relaxed delivery I can think of. He looks like he's throwing BP.

Other than that, his delivery seems about the same, despite what he has said in the past.

• Replies 565
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've heard and seen similar things myself. He very likely isn't going to ever pitch in Camden Yards, but it won't be for lack of effort/determination on his part.

Never say never. Remember, Hobgood is only 21 years old. It will be interesting to see if the Orioles plan to work him out of the bullpen this year strengthens his shoulder and arm, and gets his velocity back in the mid-90's. If it does, I think he might very well have a future in the majors.

Never say never. Remember, Hobgood is only 21 years old. It will be interesting to see if the Orioles plan to work him out of the bullpen this year strengthens his shoulder and arm, and gets his velocity back in the mid-90's. If it does, I think he might very well have a future in the majors.

He is 22 (August 3, 1990), he was an older player when drafted.

He is 22 (August 3, 1990), he was an older player when drafted.

Either way, age is not his concern right now. Staying healthy and regaining his stuff is the concern. If he's able to do that, being 1-2 years behind the elite-player development curve won't matter. If he can't stay healthy or regain the stuff, nothing else matters.

Either way, age is not his concern right now. Staying healthy and regaining his stuff is the concern. If he's able to do that, being 1-2 years behind the elite-player development curve won't matter. If he can't stay healthy or regain the stuff, nothing else matters.

Of course, the bigger concern is if and when he uses a 40 man slot.

I just don't like factual inaccuracies. I don't think I was rude at all with my correction.

Jake didn't crack the majors until what, 25?

24 and he signed out of college.

• 2 weeks later...
If it makes you feel any better, so were the Orioles. I remember getting the first reports and was like, "WTF?" and the answer I got back from several people was, "We are like WTf as well." Hopefully the move to the bullpen and some health will spark his velocity once again.

So is this a sign that he was perhaps using PEDs in high school to up his velocity and pro prospects in hopes of getting a lottery selection and multi million dollar signing bonus that comes with it. Then laying off once the check is in the bank???

Because that just sounds awful fishy.

So is this a sign that he was perhaps using PEDs in high school to up his velocity and pro prospects in hopes of getting a lottery selection and multi million dollar signing bonus that comes with it. Then laying off once the check is in the bank???

Because that just sounds awful fishy.

Did you miss the part about him needing shoulder surgery?

Mychal Givens had a first good outing and Michael Ohlman is off to a good start at Frederick. We may still get something out of that draft!

Is that you wildcard? :scratchchinhmm: Sounds like a SSS to me but whatevs....;)

But huge Hobgood/Givens/Ohlman supporter like C-o-C!

Archived