O's will probably make a trade at the meetings

Going Underground

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Like trying to race on the SPRINT CUP circuit, but playing with Nationwide money.

I am not an fan of the big budget rosters, like NY and Boston, but, I am in favor of smart spending, and if you dont want to pay the market rates, then maybe, you shouldn't be an owner, and let somebody else take a hand in it.

The thing about King Peter, he doesn't act like he truly is a fan of the game, as some owners are, where is his zealous love of the game, where is his hatred of losing?

He doesn't show any emotions, because, he really doesn't care, he is all about the $$$$$$ and how he can line his pockets.

This gets thrown around all the time. I am not sure how much a guy that has donated over $15m to Maryland colleges and $300,000 to keep Baltimore public pools open really cares about lining his pockets. Of course he wants to make smart decisions, he didnt become a billionaire by making dumb ones. He doesnt spend at all cost to win like the Boss did, but how many owners do? I wish he would spend more, but I dont think he makes every decision based on lining his pockets.

Who's crying poor? Saying we might not have the money Hamilton will command isn't crying poor more like crying realistic.

LOL.

How about you listen to anyone within the organization, and any reporter connected to the team and you will figure out they are ALL crying poor. Have you been in a cave the past week or so?

Hamilton? Love how it always comes back to him in some crazy way, but I will bite. Yeah we don't have the money for him, even though $15 million plus was just taken off the books for 2013 and 2014 in Reynolds, McLouth and Saunders.

How about Reynolds? Don't have the money for him (right from DD mouth). Is that crying poor?

How about our "$100 million payroll once we bring everyone back!" Only to realize that not one of the players we thought were coming back to "keep this thing together" and we are sitting right around $85 million, per usual.

No, no one from the warehouse has been crying poor...at all. I mean all that playoff revenue just poof...vanished into thin air!

I could probably sit here for the next 4 hours filling this page with quotes that say exactly that, yet you continue to live in dream land and pretend all of what we have been talking about related to payroll for the past 2 weeks is just a figment of our imagination.

mes back to him in some crazy way, but I will bite. Yeah we don't have the money for him, even though $15 million plus was just taken off the books for 2013 and 2014 in Reynolds, McLouth and Saunders.

I don't understand what you mean by this. They will sign or trade for players to replace these three (or re-sign some of them). They didn't just disappear into an ether of free money.

DD didn't say that the Orioles couldn't afford to pay Mark Reynolds $9 million, just that it made more sense to use that money elsewhere.

I'm not that disappointed in that we can't spend. I guess the thing that disappoints me (if I'm reading between the lines of tweets from writers who may/may not have inside info) is that we go into the meetings thinking certain players will cost "X", when they really cost "Y".

If DD thought he was going to go into free agency and get a bargain, I'm a lot disappointed. Even after a very good season, playing in a great ballpark, and playing for a guy who at least appears to be well-respected by players, the bottom line comes down to how much you can pay. I don't begrudge players that. Their careers are short, and they should make all that they can.

Now...I realize a lot of what we hear is likely misinformation or hearsay. But, there seems to be pretty strong evidence that despite a playoff berth and having a regional sports network, we're not going to substantially increase the payroll. I can live with that if we're going to make some creative moves for younger players and take a Tampa-style approach. I just hope we don't hear the old, "Wow, the free agent prices are outrageous" or "We didn't expect these big paydays" or worst yet "We are going to see where the market sets" excuses. This was not the offseason for us to hear this.

I'm not that disappointed in that we can't spend. I guess the thing that disappoints me (if I'm reading between the lines of tweets from writers who may/may not have inside info) is that we go into the meetings thinking certain players will cost "X", when they really cost "Y".

If DD thought he was going to go into free agency and get a bargain, I'm a lot disappointed. Even after a very good season, playing in a great ballpark, and playing for a guy who at least appears to be well-respected by players, the bottom line comes down to how much you can pay. I don't begrudge players that. Their careers are short, and they should make all that they can.

Now...I realize a lot of what we hear is likely misinformation or hearsay. But, there seems to be pretty strong evidence that despite a playoff berth and having a regional sports network, we're not going to substantially increase the payroll. I can live with that if we're going to make some creative moves for younger players and take a Tampa-style approach. I just hope we don't hear the old, "Wow, the free agent prices are outrageous" or "We didn't expect these big paydays" or worst yet "We are going to see where the market sets" excuses. This was not the offseason for us to hear this.

I don't see you hearing anything in your last paragraph. DD has made it clear over and over that FA is not an area of primary focus for obvious reasons. If someone falls in our lap, great, but that's it.

Archived